Rechamber advice

Vandy321

WKR
Looking to rechamber tikka 7RM...thought about cutting it down (for weight and a can), but it's already slow and best I can tell I won't get a full burn at less than 24"

Need some recs...

-20-22" ideally with a full powder burn (looking to suppress with a 5-7" can)
-Mag bolt face to pair with my 7RM bolt I already have
-Quality factory ammo readily available
-inherently accurate cartridge and don't really want to shoot anything less than 145gr or so

What say the ballistics gurus on a shorter bbl 6.5prc, 280ai, 7WSM, 270, 300wsm, etc? Any other suggestions?

It's elk rifle, it's lightweight and no bipod, so I'm good out to about 600-700 off my backpack for terminal ballistics.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
First question I’d answer is: “What bullet am I building this delivery system around?”
It's a tikka man, it'll shoot pretty much anything well. Factory ammo, I'm done reloading.
ELDx/ELDm
Berger hybrid hunter
ttsx
Etc. Out to 600 or so on big game, I'm not super picky.

You're not going to get optimal performance out of any magnum with a short barrel so forget about complete burn, efficiency ect. I'm all about short barreled magnums so pick the bullet you want and then pick the biggest case you can get quality components for. Big cases will send whatever bullets you want faster than smaller cases in a short barrel, FACT. Capacity always wins.

I'd go 300 WSM in a Tikka. Forget about a 6.5, short barrel, 700 yards and elk. That's far from the best choice, when you have a choice.

Sticking with the 7 RM is also a good idea, but not the best for a Tikka unless you use factory ammo exclusively. Tikka mag length isn't the best.

My custom 7RM is 23" and will send a 180 at 2925, works great on elk and everything smaller.

New barrel? Don't see how you can use the Factory barrel unless you go bigger, and to clean up the belt space.

For an elk rifle hard to beat the 300 wsm in a Tikka length action! Also does well in a shorter barrel

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
You're not going to rechamber a 7 rem mag to anything in a tikka action and still have factory ammo. You're looking at a rebarrel and can go whatever you like. 300wsm make the most sense. Fwiw I'd just cut back to 20-22" thread and shoot it as is. Take the $700+ that a new installed barrel will cost and buy ammo and shoot the shit out of it. You'll be way ahead unless you're just looking to tinker with a project.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Sticking with the 7 RM is also a good idea, but not the best for a Tikka unless you use factory ammo exclusively. Tikka mag length isn't the best.

My custom 7RM is 23" and will send a 180 at 2925, works great on elk and everything smaller.
Yes, factory ammo, I'm out of the reloading game. So new bbl...will go proof or carbon 6 at probably 22"

My 7rm tikka bbl is wayyyy too slow (200fps under box) and obviously it can't handle a can on the end with that tiny little #2 or whatever it is

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
You're not going to rechamber a 7 rem mag to anything in a tikka action and still have factory ammo. You're looking at a rebarrel and can go whatever you like. 300wsm make the most sense. Fwiw I'd just cut back to 20-22" thread and shoot it as is. Take the $700+ that a new installed barrel will cost and buy ammo and shoot the shit out of it. You'll be way ahead unless you're just looking to tinker with a project.
Can that factory tikka bbl handle a 7" ti can at 22"? Didn't figure it had the shoulder left for threads

204guy

WKR
Can that factory tikka bbl handle a 7" ti can at 22"? Didn't figure it had the shoulder left for threads
9/16 threads require .6625 barrel diameter for some guys to thread. (.5625 + .1) It should be close to that. I'd find a Smith that would thread it 9/16. Could probably go 1/2-28 and be fine also.

Looking to rechamber tikka 7RM...thought about cutting it down (for weight and a can), but it's already slow and best I can tell I won't get a full burn at less than 24"

Need some recs...

-inherently accurate cartridge and don't really want to shoot anything less than 145gr or so

What say the ballistics gurus on a shorter bbl 6.5prc, 280ai, 7WSM, 270, 300wsm, etc? Any other suggestions?

It's elk rifle, it's lightweight and no bipod, so I'm good out to about 600-700 off my backpack for terminal ballistics.
I'm putting an 18" prefit from McGowen in
7-300 wsm improved on my tikka action.
I'll be running a Nomad LT suppressor on a tikka factory contour barrel flared at the end (like a Fieldcraft) for 5/8×24 threads.
In your situation I'd go with a 20" 300 wsm #3 contour barrel, and shoot Hornady 200 eldx factory ammo.
Carbon fiber won't save you any weight, and the Wildcat stock I sold you won't work with that heavy profile.
Also don't go less than 7" on your suppressor you'll regret it and buy a bigger one later 😉

22" barrel such as a Proof CF will provide good speeds with 7RM especially with a can because you'll get a little boost in velocity with a can. Tikka factory barrels are notoriously slow. However, a 6.5 PRC is much more efficient cartridge and factory ammo from Hornady is excellent.

Pokoki

FNG

Need some recs...

Short barrel favors the 300 WSM over a 6.5 flavor. 7WSM factory ammo is getting harder and harder to find.