Recommend me a zero turn mower

Herdbulll

FNG
I mow 6 acres and have used a Gravely 60” cut with a Kawasaki engine. Works great. I now use a 72” Kubota and it is a beast. Both are great mowers.

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Gravelly that is ok, but not great. It is a lower end model, however. I think their higher end commercial units are rated highly. Both my BIL's have Scags and love them. My parents have JD and love it. Toro, Ariens, Hustler, and Bad Boy all have decent commercial mowers.

Grumman

WKR
My buddy has had them all and recommended a Scag to me last year. I bought a Scag Cheetah 2 and have been really pleased with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had some seat time on a Walker, John Deere, and Ferris. The walker was a fantastic collection unit however for large lawns or slopes then it is not a good option. The John Deere is a solid unit and well built. We haven’t seen issues with it other than user caused and in general does a decent job, however if your lawn is uneven and bumpy you’ll feel it.

My preference is for a Ferris. The front wheels are interconnected and use a 4 link suspension plus coil overs to allow the machine to contour to the ground. This allows the user to mow with a larger deck then typically possible where you’d typically see scalping with a similar sized deck from any other manufacturer. I really like the stand on Z3X however the sit down models provide one a comfortable user experience.

I bought a 17 JD Z930R used with 30 some hours on it. I mowed 80 or so hours last year with no issues the Kawasaki engine is nice. It also has the tweels on the rear so no flat tire issues there. I just saw an Exmark in Peoria today and that mower had a similar tire on it. My nephew up the road bought a used Kubota it was a nightmare for him and he traded it in for an Exmark. I am in north central IL and have never seen a Scag or Dixie so know nothing about them. My cousins in Indiana swear by Gravely. I honestly think there are a lot of good options but as mentioned go big go commercial you won't regret that choice.

Herdbulll

FNG
I agree that the commercial models are considerably better than the homeowner model of any manufacturer.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I have a relatively flat and smooth yard. Whats the best base commercial mower as far as entey level? Seems like Scag has a good option around the $6500 mark. Everything else seems like you have to get up around 9-10k around here to get in base commercial mowers.

I replaced my John Deere with a Ferris several years ago, couldn’t be more pleased. Mow about 1.5 acres 2x a week.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Club Cadet 50 in using the same Kawasaki engine, love it. I use it for just residential not commercial, this will last me for the next 15 years.

CCooper

WKR
I looked at all the major brands last season and did a lot of research. Walker diesel if money is no object. Looking to bag grass or blow and go? Western Oregon here and I mow and bag between 2-3 acres sometimes twice a week, irrigate and fertilize as well. I ended up trying a Bob-Cat whom is now rebranded and sold by Bobcat. Different color and stickers but otherwise exactly the same. 61” cut and it is built husky, so heavy I sometimes have problems in the spring and fall with it leaving ruts- heard the same about Scag’s from others. It seems like Exmark is the middle road between overbuilt and underbuilt from what I have seen. Overall happy with the mower, and I am not nice to it.

CCooper

WKR
I would also recommend an accelerator bagging attachment- skip the blower/ bagger if going bigger than 50”. If you are looking to pick grass up.

Commercial: exmark kubota or grasshopper

I wouldn’t mess with “high end res”. If you think you’re in this category spend the extra for a commercial. I like all three of these a lot for different reasons. I have exp with 2 commercial Toros that have been pretty disappointing.

elkguide

WKR
Hustler Super Z here. I deal with lots of wet grass and it is the only commercial mower that hasn't bunched up with wet grass.

Have had zero issues but I would go with a commercial mower and then lean towards whichever brand has the best dealer for any service needed.

BTW, you don't have to pay $10 grand for one of the Toro commercial ones just talk to dealers & keep an eye out. People trade them in just like cars. I got mine used with low miles for half price of a new one. The dealer serviced & inspected everything & have had zero issues

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up fixing my dads John deer mower every summer so I vowed I would never buy one. But when I bought my house a neighbor was selling a John Deere 54” zero turn so I bought it from him out of convenience.

Now I’m kicking myself for doing it. Parts on the deck are starting to wear out. The seat is also pretty bad. You would think I’d learn my lesson lol

My brother mows for a golf course in the summer and they use all toro equipment. He says they are really good. Hoping to finally convince myself to quit being a tightwad and spend the money on a different one this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the majority of brands have the same engine and hydro gear transmissions. So what is the make or break things about a entry level commercial mower you should definitely have or avoid?