Recommendations for UL shelter for someone 6'6"

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy a new shelter, and I can't convince myself to go floorless. Mostly because I anticipate using it here in the east some as well and mosquitoes are a major issue.

In the perfect world, 2/3 person, 3 season (4 would be nice), 86" or better length, at least 54" height, 3.5lbs or less with stakes, vestibule (even a small one), $400ish or less.

Thoughts?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We have mosquito or two here in Alaska and don't have a issue with floorless if you bring a 7 oz bivy along if solo or if it's my wife and I we use a 17 oz nest.

Given your specs should be pretty easy and I find something like you describe for less than $400 and 3.5 pounds.

A single tarptent like this would work great and is fully enclosed to keep the bugs at bay and is nearly half the weight and half the budget you suggested:
http://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html

Of course you could still be at only 2.5 pounds and have a palace that is 88" long and enough room for 2 folks and 2 vestibules with this and still well less than that $400 mark:

LitenFast

WKR
Recommendations for UL shelter for someone 6'6"

Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt and bivy or nest would be under all your specs. I'd look into that and a nest from bear paw wilderness designs

I have the shelter currently and am 6'4" and love the space it has, I don't have a nest for it yet though. If you want to trade height for full enclosure, take Luke's recommendation and find the tarptent that best fits your needs

Clarktar

WKR
We have mosquito or two here in Alaska and don't have a issue with floorless if you bring a 7 oz bivy along if solo or if it's my wife and I we use a 17 oz nest.

Given your specs should be pretty easy and I find something like you describe for less than $400 and 3.5 pounds.

A single tarptent like this would work great and is fully enclosed to keep the bugs at bay and is nearly half the weight and half the budget you suggested:

Of course you could still be at only 2.5 pounds and have a palace that is 88" long and enough room for 2 folks and 2 vestibules with this and still well less than that $400 mark:

Which nest do you have that is 17oz?

Clarktar

WKR
You better spring for the new one and enjoy the 2oz of back saving pleasure :p

I ordered the inner nest for the cimarron, I will weight it all when it shows up.

To the OP, have you considered a floorless and nest combo? Or perhaps floorless with a bivy?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another good option would be a Seek Outside LBO with 3 piece vestibule.
http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

I'm 6'6" and I tried that option.......not long enough. The slope of the walls put my head and feet touching the walls.

I've tried MANY options including the Tarptents, and quite frankly the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 would be your best option. A little heavier, but once you're using it you'll appreciate the room. I use a CS UL4 which is even heavier and bigger. But great with two people.

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the responses! I know that finding a single shelter with ALL of my above wishlist items is likely impossible.

I have had my eye on the TarpTent products for awhile now and I'm glad to see they were well represented here. That tells me they are quality.

I was hoping to see some options that I had not heard of or explored and that offering from Light Heart Gear looks good. It is also encouraging to hear that someone else has had my stuggles and found a solution that works. The CS UL3 looks to be a valid contender.

Thanks again!

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
i have went floor-less in canada and alaska with almost no issues, now chiggers and ticks at home.............

Yes, I should have been a bit more precise before. While mosquitos are a concern ticks are my major issue. They are rampant in some areas that I frequent and unfortunately lyme disease seems to be on the rise in the same areas. =(

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Double Rainbow and Rainshadow.

Everest Gear has the 2013 model CS UL3 for under $350.

Wow would have thought the 88" long double rainbow would have been more than long enough being 10" longer than someone that is 6'6 and having pretty vertical walls on the ends I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble touching the ends of the tent in the bag. So very glad I am not freakishly tall!!!

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
So very glad I am not freakishly tall!!!

If you think buying a shelter is an issue try finding a quality pair of hunting pants. Almost impossible. When you do find them you are paying full retail every time. Never any of our size stuff on clearance racks, for sale, etc...it SUCKS.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wow would have thought the 88" long double rainbow would have been more than long enough being 10" longer than someone that is 6'6 and having pretty vertical walls on the ends I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble touching the ends of the tent in the bag. So very glad I am not freakishly tall!!!

I don't necessarily dislike them for the length, but there's always a tradeoff somewhere for something. I prefer dual entrances and dual vestibules for 2 person use. And most the 2 person tents are just too small for my preferences. So trying to use just one shelter for individual use and 2 person use there are tradeoffs. Or one could just have multiple setups.:) And I do........but I still prefer the design of the Copper Spurs. I even had the UL2, but man sure felt cramped in that thing. The UL4 is heavy but a palace for two with plenty of room for gear inside and under the vestibules. That's why I say the UL3 would be a better tradeoff.......much lighter and still room for 2.

One thing I have noticed having hung around with tall people most my life, is that tall people generally won't suffer through cramped spaces like shorter people will. We seem to have a much larger tolerance zone and personal space requirements. You won't ever find me in a mummy bag.......just way too constricted. It's similar for tents. I'll carry extra weight to be comfortable.

Another thing I see a lot of is the listed length and width of tents is with the bathtub floor completely flat and down as far as possible. If you want to run them in normal mode, they're much shorter than listed.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring this one out myself. I stayed in my LBO last year, on a couple nights, with my hunting partner who is 6'6" and we had plenty of room. Otherwise, he used it alone as a solo shelter for that hunt. The LBO is just over 138" long from the front of the vestibule to the back of the shelter. At 11 1/2 feet long I can't see where a 6'6" person could have issues with that. If you slept across the narrowest part of it, it's still 8' side to side.