Recurve Arrow Build for Hunting

OP
Kevin0351

Kevin0351

FNG
You can buy singles from Lancaster. Get a couple of each spine to test. 3 Rivers also has tuning kit with one of each common spine.
IME extreme FOC accentuates any tuning issues and can have you chasing your tail. After a lot of years shooting single string, I’ve settled on a 50 grain brass insert and 125-150 grain broadheads. I’ve yet to have any penetration issues out of 45-50 lb bows and the trajectory isn’t so extreme. I shoot the same set up for 3 D, indoor and hunting. Keeps it simple for my ballistic noodle.
oh that’s awesome to hear about buying singles from Lancaster. Saw some of the testing kits on 3Rivers but didn’t know about the singles from lancaster. thanks for the info.

Beendare

WKR
I'd listen to Jennifer Delaney myself. That gal is incredible.
I had to look her up…..thats the longest string silencer I’ve ever seen.
32FAF9AE-A72E-43DC-B196-D86605623777.jpeg
someone with their mind in the gutter could make all sorts of cracks about that….

I like that Jake Kaminski channel myself.

Beendare

WKR
That's muskrat fur silencer. I too like jake, but must admit.....Delaney can chuck some arrows. She's a female Byron Ferguson.
Yeah she can shoot.

I see threads like this with new guys to the sport influenced by these hack internet guys- telling them them need these complicated arrow builds to kill a critter….face palm.

No offense to the OP, I get it you’re just looking for good information.

I think the best advice is to keep it simple……no massive high foc…no massive arrow weight. It’s hard enough to get a good close shot at these critters and then to handicap yourself is just plain stupid.

Trajectory- the arc of your arrow- matters in bowhunting…..

I watched the ranch fairy video you posted and nothing he said was wrong, per se. If you follow his method you will end up with well tuned arrows. That being said I think he consistently overstates the advantage of high FOC and high arrow weight, while dismissing the downsides. Try to get an arrow that weighs between 10-12 GPP (I prefer 11-12 GPP for noise reasons) and flies perfectly, and you’ll be fine

kdsulliv

FNG
I watched the ranch fairy video you posted and nothing he said was wrong, per se. If you follow his method you will end up with well tuned arrows. That being said I think he consistently overstates the advantage of high FOC and high arrow weight, while dismissing the downsides. Try to get an arrow that weighs between 10-12 GPP (I prefer 11-12 GPP for noise reasons) and flies perfectly, and you’ll be fine
Agreed. He can rub people the wrong way but just eat the meat and spit out the bones. I dig his basic message, and he kills pigs!

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted with my compound for three years and have been successful so i’m taking the dive into the world of recurve.

I have a 62 PSE Nighthawk with 40lb limbs. Gonna be changing to 50lb. I have a 29” draw.

I like to tinker but don’t want to go broke doing it. Right now i’m thinking of doing 100gr insert and a 200gr point.

Looking to use easton carbon legacy arrows. I plan on starting full length and bare shaft tuning and cutting until i get correct stiffness.

I guess my main question is with the above info, should i purchase 400 or 350 spine arrows?
Congrats. Welcome to the struggle. I've always used the calculator and it's gotten me close enough that I can fine tune it. I have a 30.75" DL so if I'm not careful I easily end up with arrows that are way to weak. I'm currently building s new setup for this year. All the best and let us know what you go with

Ive shot 40lb limbs on a 62in bow for the past 5yrs. Have killed many good mature whitetails. This past season was my best arrow build with a complete passthrough on all 3 kills. 200gr broadhead. 100gr insert. 25gr collar. 350 VAP SS shafts full length.