REI tarp ~$50

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
What do you all plan to use this for?

I actually ordered one of these a couple years ago and returned it. Paid more than this though. I just couldn’t think of a use for it. My Warbonnet GT is 5 ounces heavier and is much more durable and versatile. If I want to carry an emergency shelter or something to lay meat on, I have a silnylon MUST tarp that weighs 9 ounces I believe.

Not knocking anyone. Sincerely curious what your plans are.
I think it’s a good place to start for those of us that don’t have tarps. Cleaned an elk this year in direct sunlight, and nobody I was with had a tarp to provide some quick shade. That was the moment for me I knew I needed to have something in my bag like this. Not saying this is the best option, but it is a good option, especially at that price. if you already have a good emergency shelter, then you probably don’t need this!

Edit to answer your question:

Shade

Emergency Shelter

Rain protection for those mountain storms that like to sneak up on you

Ultralight shelter for a spike camp when I want to leave the tent behind

I’m sure there’s more I’m not thinking of!

- RadDad

Sled

WKR
What do you all plan to use this for?

I actually ordered one of these a couple years ago and returned it. Paid more than this though. I just couldn’t think of a use for it. My Warbonnet GT is 5 ounces heavier and is much more durable and versatile. If I want to carry an emergency shelter or something to lay meat on, I have a silnylon MUST tarp that weighs 9 ounces I believe.

Not knocking anyone. Sincerely curious what your plans are.

For certain trips with predicted rain it'll be a place to stay dry for lunch/ heavy dumps when not hunting or light overnighters.

I've done without a tarp for many years and get by ok. I'm happy to bring it for all the times I wished I had it.

I have a similar tarp and it's primarily is an awning for our 8 man tipi. But can be emergency shelter in your pack, camp kitchen setup, cover gear or horse tack that isn't in your tent/tipi, etc.

When you compare this to the new Stone Glacier Skytarp, it goes ounce for ounce with it. And at this price, it’s 1/4 the price. SOLD!

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Appears to be sold out. Very comparable to the SG skytarp for a lot less money and it includes stakes.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
There we go. Glad I could help a couple guys out. I have mine set up in a storm right now running it through its paces.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I just had mine delivered. The first noticable thing is how thin the nylon is. Not that I have a ton of experience with nylon shelters ( I have 2 sil-nylon tents) but neither are nearly this thin. I think that comes with the territory of not necessarily being a dedicated overnight shelter - or is it? The first thing my fiancee said when I opened it was "are you going to rip it?" Interested how your test went @Felton

I do wonder how much this thing is going to sag in rain, it's thinner then paper, if that is a positive or negative when it comes to sag remains to be seen. My nylon tipi sags like crazy but my free standing tent doesn't nearly as much because of the frame.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk