Release Question

I’m mainly a rifle hunter and have recently been getting more into archery. I have a cheaper finger release currently and looking to upgrade.

I’ve been looking at the Spott Hogg wise guy or the Whipper Snapper. Also looking into Scott Echo.

Does anyone have feedback on these or suggestions in the $100 range?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t personally buy the Wise Guy, trigger is so light that you can’t really execute a proper surprise release. However the fold down function is nice for hunting. I would buy something similar to a Hamskea Drop tine or carter RX1. These have a swept trigger and you can change the travel and sensitivity so that you can actually dig in a little with your finger and pull through creating more of a proper surprise release.

I use the whipper snapper. Been using spot hogg releases for a dozen years now I think. I haven't used the wise guy, but pretty certain all spot hogg releases have adjustable trigger tension. So you can set them scary light or heavy.

Shot Friday/Saturday night releases since they came out, switched to the whipper snapper this year. Good releases in my opinion.

Brendan

WKR
I wouldn’t personally buy the Wise Guy, trigger is so light that you can’t really execute a proper surprise release. However the fold down function is nice for hunting. I would buy something similar to a Hamskea Drop tine or carter RX1. These have a swept trigger and you can change the travel and sensitivity so that you can actually dig in a little with your finger and pull through creating more of a proper surprise release.
What he said. RX1 and Drop Tine are my two wrist releases. Haven't shot or looked at Spot Hogg.

When I shoot a wrist release I like a release with pretty much zero travel and adjustable tension, plus the adjustable webbing for the neck.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
The wise guy is a nice release. I’ve owned or know guys that own a couple of them and have always been satisfied. Seems like I see a fair amount in the classifieds.
That being said, I moved on from a wise guy to a Carter handheld and won’t go back. Nothing wrong with the wrist releases, handheld just worked for me better.

Zac

WKR
Sport Hogg Tough guy would be my choice for that company. I developed a horrible case of target panic with the Wiseguy. I'll demonstrate with this gem from Josh Bowmar. It's Around the 2 minute mark.

I use the whipper snapper. Been using spot hogg releases for a dozen years now I think. I haven't used the wise guy, but pretty certain all spot hogg releases have adjustable trigger tension. So you can set them scary light or heavy.

Shot Friday/Saturday night releases since they came out, switched to the whipper snapper this year. Good releases in my opinion.
Even on the heaviest setting the wise guy is incredibly light. The drop tine you can set from light to so heavy you almost can’t make it go off. It’s a personal preference but I also prefer hand held releases for more consistent anchoring and proper shot execution, the trigger created target panic for me on live animals.

Even on the heaviest setting the wise guy is incredibly light. The drop tine you can set from light to so heavy you almost can’t make it go off. It’s a personal preference but I also prefer hand held releases for more consistent anchoring and proper shot execution, the trigger created target panic for me on live animals.

I definitely agree with a hand held. Personally I get a more consistent anchor and had trouble shooting an index release, but I have had trouble with trigger flinch with a rifle. Thumb button has helped me, did get some target panic several years ago, but worked out of it before it got too bad.

Like I said I didn't have experience directly with the wise guy, just was pretty certain they were adjustable.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Thank you! This is very helpful.

OP
Kyle Wheeler

3 or 4 finger? Open or closed? I’ve been eyeing 4 finger closed.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
What he said. RX1 and Drop Tine are my two wrist releases. Haven't shot or looked at Spot Hogg.

When I shoot a wrist release I like a release with pretty much zero travel and adjustable tension, plus the adjustable webbing for the neck.
Thank you! I will take a look

3 or 4 finger? Open or closed? I’ve been eyeing 4 finger closed.

Have all 3 finger. Use both open and closed. Generally use open for hunting and closed for target. I don't like leaving a release clipped to my loop so I prefer the open jaw for hunting. Use a leather strap around my wrist to carry the release. For me the 3 finger is plenty big, I don't care to be carrying anything bigger. But I don't like big bulky releases.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Have all 3 finger. Use both open and closed. Generally use open for hunting and closed for target. I don't like leaving a release clipped to my loop so I prefer the open jaw for hunting. Use a leather strap around my wrist to carry the release. For me the 3 finger is plenty big, I don't care to be carrying anything bigger. But I don't like big bulky releases.
Awesome thank you!

Brendan

WKR
Even though I shoot the RX1 and Drop Tine for wrist releases, I rarely use them. I've moved to shooting hand helds too. Right now I shoot the Carter/Nock On Nock2It, Silverback, and 2Smooth (Thumb, Tension, Hinge). I personally love the 2 finger design and consistency between all three.

I really like my B3 Hawk. Replaced my old Scott Itty Bitty Goose releases with the B3 Hawk last spring and have never shot better. The sear design (rifle style) mechanism works very well, better than the toggle style on the Itty Bitty Goose. I like the hook as it is faster to get on the string hunting than the IBG caliper. And I had a great phone discussion with B3 on release designs and where to buy in Canada...excellent company.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Carter Quickie wrist and shoot it with backtension. I do best with a lighter trigger myself, and really like this release. I do want to try a thumb or hinge this year, mostly to be able to leave it attached to the string in the tree.