Reloading 7PRC

philcox

WKR

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
That 66.5g of H4831SC is 5.5g over the Hogden load max. Looks like you started at 64.0, which is still 3g over. Did you work up to that, or did you already know something about the load?
I have typically found Hodgdon data to be pretty tame in all my rifles. I always start low and work up until I see pressure signs then back off.

I had also shot a bunch of Hornady 160gr CX’s before this, working up from a tame starting load. The Barnes also has less bearing surface due to more bands.

It is definitely a hot load though, I settled on the 65.5gr load. My ADG brass looks good, primers aren’t flat and no stiff bolt. Shot 50 rounds the last few days.

The factory Precision Hunter in my rifle is hot, always a heavy bolt, ejector marks as well.

philcox

WKR
I have typically found Hodgdon data to be pretty tame in all my rifles. I always start low and work up until I see pressure signs then back off.

I had also shot a bunch of Hornady 160gr CX’s before this, working up from a tame starting load. The Barnes also has less bearing surface due to more bands.

It is definitely a hot load though, I settled on the 65.5gr load. My ADG brass looks good, primers aren’t flat and no stiff bolt. Shot 50 rounds the last few days.

The factory Precision Hunter in my rifle is hot, always a heavy bolt, ejector marks as well.
Good info. I am going to give the LRX another shot with the H4831SC. Where did you end on COAL? The 3.20 that Hogden had listed left an entire band out of the neck. I saw some custom load company and they were at 3.14 with all bands hidden. Just curious about your load. Thx

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Good info. I am going to give the LRX another shot with the H4831SC. Where did you end on COAL? The 3.20 that Hogden had listed left an entire band out of the neck. I saw some custom load company and they were at 3.14 with all bands hidden. Just curious about your load. Thx
I have one band sticking out, it’s fine.

I’m running 0.050” off my lands. I haven’t measured COAL but CBTO is 2.610” which is the same as the Hornady 160gr CX for me.

I believe my case mouth is juuuust touching the bottom of the first band from the tip. I don’t have any loaded rounds right now, but I can take a picture once I get more bullets later this week.

philcox

WKR
I have one band sticking out, it’s fine.

I’m running 0.050” off my lands. I haven’t measured COAL but CBTO is 2.610” which is the same as the Hornady 160gr CX for me.

I believe my case mouth is juuuust touching the bottom of the first band from the tip. I don’t have any loaded rounds right now, but I can take a picture once I get more bullets later this week.
I am using ADG brass, and I have a small ring of copper exposed before the 1st band. My CBTO for the LRX is 2.610 as well (I saw it on your chart, and thought "what the heck"). CBTO on my hand loaded CX is 2.540 and the CBTO on the Factory 160 CX Outfitter I have is 2.550. I did see one custom load company with the LRX, and they had a COAL of 3.14 (all bands covered), so I'll be real interested when someone starts making Factory Ammo with the 168 LRX where they end up for COAL/CBTO.

I need to get a modified case to calculate my "lands".

philcox

WKR
@DiabeticKripple I tried the LRX with H4831SC yesterday. Looks promising. I did a ladder from 61.0-65 to check for pressure. Nothing. Then I cheated and just did 3 shot groups at 65.5, 66.0 and 66.5. 65.5 was 1.7 MOA, 66.0 was .894 MOA, and the 66.5 was .156 MOA first 2, then 3rd (I think shooter error) took to 1.2 MOA. I am going to "look again", but I am going to try to see what I can with 66.0, 66.3 and 66.5. See where groups fall a second time and then decide what to do.

What was interesting is that I didn't have signs of pressure, so am tempted to finish the ladder up a bit to see where I do get pressure. I need to velocity check the 65.5 and up, since I never shoot groups with my Magneto Speed on, have never had good luck in that config. I'm liking the 168 and H4831SC, will

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
handloands in 2 7prc w/24" benchmark #5. One barrel was slightly faster than the other and each @ 3010fps

175 eld-x
ADG case
one @ 68.7gr n565, the other @ 69gr
both were consistent sub .5moa groups

I've only shot the handloads so far and i want to see how Hornady Precision Hunter stacks up. As of now, I don't handload but may go down that path if there's a big difference in consistency.

Harvey_NW

WKR
@DiabeticKripple I tried the LRX with H4831SC yesterday. Looks promising. I did a ladder from 61.0-65 to check for pressure. Nothing. Then I cheated and just did 3 shot groups at 65.5, 66.0 and 66.5. 65.5 was 1.7 MOA, 66.0 was .894 MOA, and the 66.5 was .156 MOA first 2, then 3rd (I think shooter error) took to 1.2 MOA. I am going to "look again", but I am going to try to see what I can with 66.0, 66.3 and 66.5. See where groups fall a second time and then decide what to do.

What was interesting is that I didn't have signs of pressure, so am tempted to finish the ladder up a bit to see where I do get pressure. I need to velocity check the 65.5 and up, since I never shoot groups with my Magneto Speed on, have never had good luck in that config. I'm liking the 168 and H4831SC, will
Nodes don't exist and all that testing is just wasting components, unless you're okay with getting the trigger time. When you're done testing load 10 each at the charge weight of the worst and best resulting groups and compare them. They'll likely be within a statistical margin of variability.

philcox

WKR
Nodes don't exist and all that testing is just wasting components, unless you're okay with getting the trigger time. When you're done testing load 10 each at the charge weight of the worst and best resulting groups and compare them. They'll likely be within a statistical margin of variability.
I guess I should have more aptly said, I am walking a ladder to find pressure. With that said, I have found that there are areas in my ladder that do have similar velocities for changing charges. I do tend to use a middle of the highest flatter area, as I want as much speed as possible, but not at total cost of accuracy.

I guess I should have more aptly said, I am walking a ladder to find pressure. With that said, I have found that there are areas in my ladder that do have similar velocities for changing charges. I do tend to use a middle of the highest flatter area, as I want as much speed as possible, but not at total cost of accuracy.

Have you read the "your groups are too small" thread or watched that podcast?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Ah, yeah I do the same but 1 shot per charge. The concept of similar velocities for changing charges is disproven with larger samples sizes as well. There's a near linear increase in velocity:charge.

It's explained and well documented in these.

Sako300

WKR
handloands in 2 7prc w/24" benchmark #5. One barrel was slightly faster than the other and each @ 3010fps

175 eld-x
ADG case
one @ 68.7gr n565, the other @ 69gr
both were consistent sub .5moa groups

I've only shot the handloads so far and i want to see how Hornady Precision Hunter stacks up. As of now, I don't handload but may go down that path if there's a big difference in consistency.
Would love to see what you are getting with the factory Hornady 175eldx. They claim close to 3000 fps with a factory 24 barrel and this factory ammo. From the reports I’ve seen, they are well below 2900 fps. Close to 150 fps less of what they claim!!

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to see what you are getting with the factory Hornady 175eldx. They claim close to 3000 fps with a factory 24 barrel and this factory ammo. From the reports I’ve seen, they are well below 2900 fps. Close to 150 fps less of what they claim!!
Me too. Have two boxes of Precision Hunter to test and I haven’t heard good things about actual velocities. Says 3000fps on the box w/a 24” barrel. I’ll be delighted if is so I can stick with one profile. I don’t want to get into hand loading but fear I may if there are consistency issues or if the factory stuff is much lower than 3000….i need to make time to go test

Reactions: BBB

philcox

WKR
I went and listened to it. Seems reasonable in what they said. I am not sure where I will fall in the "how many you gonna shoot". After listening I think I am in the camp of "Find a bullet and a speed I want. Find a powder that can likely get to that speed. Do a ladder in .5g increments starting near max load, to get to speed *OR* pressure. If speed reached, do a 9 shot group and see if acceptable. If pressure, find another powder. If I can't get acceptable groups with the Bullet/speed I want with the powders I have, then find another bullet". Given that I am in California, mono is required, so I am very limited in my bullet options.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I went and listened to it. Seems reasonable in what they said. I am not sure where I will fall in the "how many you gonna shoot". After listening I think I am in the camp of "Find a bullet and a speed I want. Find a powder that can likely get to that speed. Do a ladder in .5g increments starting near max load, to get to speed *OR* pressure. If speed reached, do a 9 shot group and see if acceptable. If pressure, find another powder. If I can't get acceptable groups with the Bullet/speed I want with the powders I have, then find another bullet". Given that I am in California, mono is required, so I am very limited in my bullet options.
The point is that testing charge weights or seating depth in small increments and sample size is not giving any significant individual results, and they're likely no different in terms of precision. You're much better off with that process, do a pressure ladder working up to make sure you're working with a safe load, and shoot 10 to verify. If velocity or group dispersion isn't acceptable, swap powder or bullet.

philcox

WKR
I think the "your groups are too small" is going to make me cry. I am working up an 168 LRX and 160 CX loads in my new PRC. With this 20, I am about 140 down the barrel. I finally got everything for the 160 CX, and went out and shot a "20 group" this AM. As the MOA expansion chart shows, I was happy, then ultimately determined "this load is not going to work". When I shot #14 I was like "I think I pulled this", but remembering the podcast comments, thought, finish the 20 and find out. It likely was not ...

Next step is to follow @Formidilosus recommendation to drop 1g and see if it does the trick. If not, try another powder ...

I get my LRX components Thursday, and will do my 20 round with that. If it works, I'll use that vice spend more time on the 160 CX. However, I did a 10 shot group with the LRX earlier, and that did marginally better. We'll see if I got the "worst" in that 10, or if this new 20 exposes even more problems.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-11-13 10:31:25.289561.jpeg

72159314131__4835D64C-89AC-4449-A6CF-BE046649F048.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I think the "your groups are too small" is going to make me cry. I am working up an 168 LRX and 160 CX loads in my new PRC. With this 20, I am about 140 down the barrel. I finally got everything for the 160 CX, and went out and shot a "20 group" this AM. As the MOA expansion chart shows, I was happy, then ultimately determined "this load is not going to work". When I shot #14 I was like "I think I pulled this", but remembering the podcast comments, thought, finish the 20 and find out. It likely was not ...

Next step is to follow @Formidilosus recommendation to drop 1g and see if it does the trick. If not, try another powder ...

I get my LRX components Thursday, and will do my 20 round with that. If it works, I'll use that vice spend more time on the 160 CX. However, I did a 10 shot group with the LRX earlier, and that did marginally better. We'll see if I got the "worst" in that 10, or if this new 20 exposes even more problems.

View attachment 626613

View attachment 626614

Outstanding example of not being defensive and open to learning.
As for that group, it is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Most “.5 MOA” are actually 2+ MOA rifles when shot for statistically valid group sizes. What is your legitimate use for the rifle?