Reloading 7PRC

philcox

WKR
Outstanding example of not being defensive and open to learning.
As for that group, it is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Most “.5 MOA” are actually 2+ MOA rifles when shot for statistically valid group sizes. What is your legitimate use for the rifle?
@Formidilosus I built this rifle to be a 1000y "suppressed deer gun". Tikka action, CarbonSix 20" 1:8 barrel. It is likely that I have read WAY too many Internet articles about long range guns, and my expectations are unrealistic. With that said, If it turns out to be a solid 800y capable (with proper person behind trigger), I'd be happy. I will ultimately pass this down to my son who is much more likely to every shot past 600y.

I will say that the "guarantee" from the Barrel manufacturers does play into my psyche and expectations.

If I can get a statistical load around 1 MOA, I'd be ecstatic. 8" @ 800y would meet my desires.

I also have the limitation that I live in California, so I have to primarily shoot Mono bullets. I wanted to have a single load that worked everywhere, but am thinking that maybe I get a "Cali Load" that I use here, then develop something to use in the rest of the free world. (Note to Big Brother: My suppressor is in a safe in Nevada with my brother. It is owned by a gun trust, so don't come knocking on my CA door).

Last edited:

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus I built this rifle to be a 1000y "suppressed deer gun". Tikka action, CarbonSix 20" 1:8 barrel. It is likely that I have read WAY too many Internet articles about long range guns, and my expectations are unrealistic. With that said, If it turns out to be a solid 800y capable (with proper person behind trigger), I'd be happy. I will ultimately pass this down to my son who is much more likely to every shot past 600y.

I will say that the "guarantee" from the Barrel manufacturers does play into my psyche and expectations.

If I can get a statistical load around 1 MOA, I'd be ecstatic. 8" @ 800y would meet my desires.

I also have the limitation that I live in California, so I have to primarily shoot Mono bullets. I wanted to have a single load that worked everywhere, but am thinking that maybe I get a "Cali Load" that I use here, then develop something to use in the rest of the free world. (Note to Big Brother: My suppressor is in a safe in Nevada with my brother. It is owned by a gun trust, so don't come knocking on my CA door).
I think shooting a mono out to 1000yds isnt the best idea.

You need the velocity to expand. I am using 600 as my limit with the 168gr LRX as thats where it drops to 2000fps.

philcox

WKR
I think shooting a mono out to 1000yds isnt the best idea.

You need the velocity to expand. I am using 600 as my limit with the 168gr LRX as thats where it drops to 2000fps.
Agreed. The way it looks I will use the 160CX or 168 LRX to roughly whatever distance it sits above 2000 fps, and then when I go out of state, will use the 180 ELD-M. That will give me the 1000y I am looking for, and that is when is becomes the "suppressed" rifle I am building anyway.

At least the is the plan at this point.

tibo

FNG
Started reloading for the 7mm PRC in July after lot of drama with factory ammo.

Got really good results with H4831sc, 180ELDM ADG brass 20th of the land.
I worked a ladder and started getting slight pressure sign at 67.2gn. ADG brass shows pressure signs way later than Hornady brass. You have to be careful if you go past max book and really pay attention to bolt lift.

DEW0341

WKR
Started reloading for the 7mm PRC in July after lot of drama with factory ammo.

Got really good results with H4831sc, 180ELDM ADG brass 20th of the land.
I worked a ladder and started getting slight pressure sign at 67.2gn. ADG brass shows pressure signs way later than Hornady brass. You have to be careful if you go past max book and really pay attention to bolt lift.

What barrel length and velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m working in a new 7PRC and looking to reload. I am breaking the barrel in with Hornady 175 ELDX and have been getting consistent muzzle velocity at 2950 from a CF wrapped 1/8 twist 24” bartlein. Groups have been good at 200 zero considering variance is likely the nut behind the bolt and barrel break in. I am looking on thoughts for my next step in dialing in a load to be used for Elk / Mule deer before I burn custom turrets. This gun build was for western hunting where I hope to build shooting confidence in longer range hunting capability. I reload but consider myself novice- I enjoy the process of tinkering. I have had great results with Barnes in the past and am looking at testing 168 LRX or Ttsx, Hornady CX and or for simplicity reproducing factory ELDX loads. H4831 SC is where I am leaning for powder, fed 215 primer.

Any other thoughts/ recommendations/ experience from other 7PRC reloaders is appreciated.

powder/ preferred bullets for my intended targets ?

I have a 7mm PRC on order. I was reading it used magnum primers. Are you using magnum primers or regular large rifle primers? You mentioned FED 215
Just curious since I currently dont have magnum primers mostly WLR and CCI large rifle primers

I think the "your groups are too small" is going to make me cry. I am working up an 168 LRX and 160 CX loads in my new PRC. With this 20, I am about 140 down the barrel. I finally got everything for the 160 CX, and went out and shot a "20 group" this AM. As the MOA expansion chart shows, I was happy, then ultimately determined "this load is not going to work". When I shot #14 I was like "I think I pulled this", but remembering the podcast comments, thought, finish the 20 and find out. It likely was not ...

Next step is to follow @Formidilosus recommendation to drop 1g and see if it does the trick. If not, try another powder ...

I get my LRX components Thursday, and will do my 20 round with that. If it works, I'll use that vice spend more time on the 160 CX. However, I did a 10 shot group with the LRX earlier, and that did marginally better. We'll see if I got the "worst" in that 10, or if this new 20 exposes even more problems.

View attachment 626613

View attachment 626614
How quickly are you shooting your "20"? Just curious. I always worry its a hot barrel throwing bullets erratically.

Outstanding example of not being defensive and open to learning.
As for that group, it is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Most “.5 MOA” are actually 2+ MOA rifles when shot for statistically valid group sizes. What is your legitimate use for the rifle?
My thought is that for a hunting rifle if your first three shots are 1 MOA consistently then its a good load. If your purpose is other than hunting and more precision shooting then more downrange firing is needed. Is it really important that shooting 10 shots in a row meet 1 MOA criteria? Ideally I would like to test fire one shot in a barrel, let it cool to ambient temperature and fire another and see what happened. But I don't have time for that usually, so I shoot 3 of one load and let the barrel cool and move on to the next load. I am curious to how other approach load development and rate of fire for each load, however....

Article 4

WKR
I’m working in a new 7PRC and looking to reload. I am breaking the barrel in with Hornady 175 ELDX and have been getting consistent muzzle velocity at 2950 from a CF wrapped 1/8 twist 24” bartlein. Groups have been good at 200 zero considering variance is likely the nut behind the bolt and barrel break in. I am looking on thoughts for my next step in dialing in a load to be used for Elk / Mule deer before I burn custom turrets. This gun build was for western hunting where I hope to build shooting confidence in longer range hunting capability. I reload but consider myself novice- I enjoy the process of tinkering. I have had great results with Barnes in the past and am looking at testing 168 LRX or Ttsx, Hornady CX and or for simplicity reproducing factory ELDX loads. H4831 SC is where I am leaning for powder, fed 215 primer.

Any other thoughts/ recommendations/ experience from other 7PRC reloaders is appreciated.

powder/ preferred bullets for my intended targets ?

I have been loading for 7PRC for 5 years; I made a wildcat out of 300 PRC brass way before they released the new case. I run the exact same bbl but i am using the full length 300 PRC case so I am getting 3140 with that same bullet and 3120 with the 180 berger. BAT machine action and AG stock. I started using RL25 and am now going to be testing using N568.

Generally for bullets 175 and larger, regardless of the case, I recommend something with a slower burn rate than 4831SC. RL25 and 26, H1000, N565 and maybe even N568 - Retumbo might also work. I have tested 175 ELDX, 195 Bergers and now going to test the 180s. I have killed 2 deer and an elk with the 175s and for me, I found they performed fine. Nothing spectacular but they did hold up and the animal is on the wall so outcome worked. Photo of the bullets attached compared to the 175 from the off shoulder while he was quartered away, shot him twice at 393 yards, it was the rut and he just didn't want to go down from shot 1. A little disappointed I didnt get full pass through but all the energy was inside the animal and the second shot dropped him hard. He was a monster 300 plus lb muley in Colorado - My hunting partner and I are not small humans and after gutting, it still took both of us to get him into the truck with no small amount of blue air LOL

Primer is fine. you can also try CCI 250

Custom turrets can work, IF you are going to buy 6 or 8 of them for varied conditions. Instead, spend your money on a good kestrel and ballistics app. Then, you can cover any possible shooting condition anywhere you go, with any rifle you might have.

All the other data received on here is great to have, and a great starting point for their rifles and their loads. I recommend you pick a combo and run a ladder, as stated in the thread, and then group testing for your rifle and load. IME Hornadys like a bit more jump .15 - .28 or so and the bergers from .003 - .009 or so. Yours may vary.

When shooting, I recommend starting on a completely clean bbl. I usually run a 13-15 shot ladder not including the 5 shot 100 yard zero group and then 2 or 3 shots at 550 yards to shoot my ladder. I usually use a middle ladder load as the zero and ladder start point. My thing at 550 is I want just enough spread to show a node but not so much spread as to add additional variances due to conditions and shooter. Then shoot a zero with your middle node load and start your groups tests

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 5.42.12 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 5.42.12 AM.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2020 Colorado Muley.jpg
    2020 Colorado Muley.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

philcox

WKR
How quickly are you shooting your "20"? Just curious. I always worry its a hot barrel throwing bullets erratically.
I shot 20 over probably a 10-15 min period. The interesting thing is that the same folks that essentially are telling me 3 shot groups are statistically deceiving, have also said the cold vs hot barrel are similarly "statistically insignificant". With that said, they were talking about barrel accuracy, and not the secondary issues like shooter fatigue and mirage that likely accompany barrel heat with hot v cold.

OP
T
I have a 7mm PRC on order. I was reading it used magnum primers. Are you using magnum primers or regular large rifle primers? You mentioned FED 215
Just curious since I currently dont have magnum primers mostly WLR and CCI large rifle primers

My experience has been with Fed 215 Magnum Match primers.

Runolfson

FNG
I want to try large rifle primers. Has anybody tried them?
Magnum primers are nearly impossible to find.

I've been getting 2750fps from Hornady Precision Hunter 175 eldx out of my 20" Carbon Six barrel.
Handloads of 162gr eldx, H4831sc, Fed215, Hornady brass are 2810 fps.
Consistently getting .75 MOA from testing at 100 and 300 yards.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I want to try large rifle primers. Has anybody tried them?
Magnum primers are nearly impossible to find.

I've been getting 2750fps from Hornady Precision Hunter 175 eldx out of my 20" Carbon Six barrel.
Handloads of 162gr eldx, H4831sc, Fed215, Hornady brass are 2810 fps.
Consistently getting .75 MOA from testing at 100 and 300 yards.
Large Rifle primers will work just fine. Might get a smaller ES as well.

Runolfson

FNG
I've tested two different loads with 162 eldx, Fed 210, one with H1000 and one with H4831sc. My barrel seems to prefer the 4831sc, shot .5 moa at 200 yards. I'm going to test with Sierra TGK 165 and 175 eldx next.

Bleeb

FNG
Pic of Winchester LR primer. First shot and only shot! Yikes! Maybe a bad primer lot. Gonna call Winchester Monday.

Attachments

• 1000001801 - Copy.jpg
    1000001801 - Copy.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 23