Rem 721 or Tikka “semi custom” help

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and was curious on people’s opinions with more experience.

I was pretty dead set on buying a Tikka getting a prefit and going that whole route. I do have an old REM 721 in 30.06 that is just sitting in the gun safe so I thought maybe use that as a donor action since apparently it’s very similar to a 700. Do any of you know if those Christensen 700 prefits will work on a 721 action?

If not any idea on price I could get for the rifle? (No I’m not just gonna keep the .06 because it’s an .06. Also it has no sentimental value, I have plenty of other old guns that I’d never sell.

Thanks! IMG_2634.jpeg

shortside

FNG
Having many Tikkas, and having owned a few 721s... I would consider a rebarrel on that 721 regardless (but not a Christensen pre-fit). I am not sure pre-fits will work on a 721, but that should be easy to find out. I have seen too many Christensen barrels that don't shoot. The odds are not good enough, in my opinion. Lots of options out there, but I would pay to have a barrel fit and chambered onto that action.

If not, just a factory Tikka is a great choice. Shoot it, and if it doesn't do what you want, go with a pre-fit, full or semi custom. You are faced with a lot of choices, of which very few are not great!

TaperPin

WKR
Yes and no. You would have to switch to a Remington 700 bottom metal, and the safety is slightly different shape so some stock removal is necessary, but otherwise the shape and hole spacing is the same.

Value will vary. Some will pay as much as a 700 because it’s old, and most will value it less because it’s not exactly a 700 and they Want to be able to drop it in a stock, or whatnot. At $250 it would sell quick, $300 would sell in a few weeks, $350 may take a few months, $400 and you may have it still this time next year.

These have a slightly different bolt that has a minor issue with binding compared to the 700 - as long as it’s kept lubed I don’t notice it.

TaperPin

WKR
As for barrels, Remington uses the same thread dimensions on 721, 722, 600, 700 and the xp pistols, so any prefit would work.

These guns are pretty old - not a bad idea to update the firing pin spring, and these old triggers have to be taken apart, cleaned and lightly oiled.

If I were in your shoes, it might be easy to find someone who will swap it straight across for a 700.

xsn10s

WKR
Having many Tikkas, and having owned a few 721s... I would consider a rebarrel on that 721 regardless (but not a Christensen pre-fit). I am not sure pre-fits will work on a 721, but that should be easy to find out. I have seen too many Christensen barrels that don't shoot. The odds are not good enough, in my opinion. Lots of options out there, but I would pay to have a barrel fit and chambered onto that action.

If not, just a factory Tikka is a great choice. Shoot it, and if it doesn't do what you want, go with a pre-fit, full or semi custom. You are faced with a lot of choices, of which very few are not great!
I'd shoot it and go from there. After that there are so many options to choose from if you decide to keep it.

The Guide

WKR
I’m in a bit of a dilemma and was curious on people’s opinions with more experience.

I was pretty dead set on buying a Tikka getting a prefit and going that whole route. I do have an old REM 721 in 30.06 that is just sitting in the gun safe so I thought maybe use that as a donor action since apparently it’s very similar to a 700. Do any of you know if those Christensen 700 prefits will work on a 721 action?

If not any idea on price I could get for the rifle? (No I’m not just gonna keep the .06 because it’s an .06. Also it has no sentimental value, I have plenty of other old guns that I’d never sell.

Thanks! View attachment 627483
The major issue with using a Remington 721/722 is that they use a c-clip style extractor and the extractor will break with frequent or hard use. These clips are no longer made and if you do find a new one, clips are often broken during installation. I had to send the bolt on mine (722 in 257 Roberts Improved) in to have a M-16 extractor installed by LRI. I wouldn't put a new barrel on it without having that service performed. You aren't going to get a shouldered prefit for a 721 like you can for a Tikka action. You might be able to use a "remage" style prefit but your best bet would be buy a barrel and have a local gunsmith thread, chamber, and fit it for your rifle.

Jay

OP
desertdog15
Thanks for the info. I think I’m just going to sell it and use the money toward the Tikka route

Floridave

FNG
Thanks for the info. I think I’m just going to sell it and use the money toward the Tikka route

That sounds like the right way to go for your situation. And that’s coming from someone who went the opposite way for my own reasons and am so glad I rebarrelled my 721. Love my 721 that was 30/06 and I’d now 243 fast twist. But it IS a sentimental gun that I’ll never part with, plus I want to keep my bolt gun inventory where it is and not add more. (I’m in streamlining/reduce the stuff I own mode). I really didn’t want to keep this old classic just sitting unused.
Used it hunting this week with the original wood stock which was very cool (forgive the in process cheek pad development). Then the composite stock goes back on for range and long range playing.
Anyway, my choice was perfect for me, but if there no attachment to it, you are better off to start with something new and exactly what you want.
91cf809fca6221334bf91fee59da41a4.jpg

c6f19414ebea9234b6fac2ed6b046874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
desertdog15
That sounds like the right way to go for your situation. And that’s coming from someone who went the opposite way for my own reasons and am so glad I rebarrelled my 721. Love my 721 that was 30/06 and I’d now 243 fast twist. But it IS a sentimental gun that I’ll never part with, plus I want to keep my bolt gun inventory where it is and not add more. (I’m in streamlining/reduce the stuff I own mode). I really didn’t want to keep this old classic just sitting unused.
Used it hunting this week with the original wood stock which was very cool (forgive the in process cheek pad development). Then the composite stock goes back on for range and long range playing.
Anyway, my choice was perfect for me, but if there no attachment to it, you are better off to start with something new and exactly what you want.
91cf809fca6221334bf91fee59da41a4.jpg

c6f19414ebea9234b6fac2ed6b046874.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turned out great!

49ereric

WKR
The major issue with using a Remington 721/722 is that they use a c-clip style extractor and the extractor will break with frequent or hard use. These clips are no longer made and if you do find a new one, clips are often broken during installation. I had to send the bolt on mine (722 in 257 Roberts Improved) in to have a M-16 extractor installed by LRI. I wouldn't put a new barrel on it without having that service performed. You aren't going to get a shouldered prefit for a 721 like you can for a Tikka action. You might be able to use a "remage" style prefit but your best bet would be buy a barrel and have a local gunsmith thread, chamber, and fit it for your rifle.

Jay
They make new extractors and they work fine.

keep the 721 as is if the barrel is not shot out as those barrel are known for accuracy.

I recently just rebarreled a 722 into a Rem-age set up for my daughter. Having it done now I should have just started a a new build. It would have been about the same cost in the long run.

TaperPin

WKR
I recently just rebarreled a 722 into a Rem-age set up for my daughter. Having it done now I should have just started a a new build. It would have been about the same cost in the long run.
A long time friend was just telling me about one of the popular barrel sellers and a Rem-age barrel for his gun - for the high cost it ended up not shooting any better than a normal factory rifle, so he said he’d never do it again.

The Guide

WKR
They make new extractors and they work fine.

keep the 721 as is if the barrel is not shot out as those barrel are known for accuracy.
I looked for a year before I sent the bolt off to LRI. Everything was used or out of stock. I wasn't going to spend money on a used extractor and have it installed or buy the jig to install it myself when I could upgrade it to something that would work better and not be as fragile for the same basic price point. I have no sentimental value in this gun so it wasn't an issue to have it non factory. Nice to see they have them in stock for those interested in a replica replacement part.

Jay

49ereric

WKR
I looked for a year before I sent the bolt off to LRI. Everything was used or out of stock. I wasn't going to spend money on a used extractor and have it installed or buy the jig to install it myself when I could upgrade it to something that would work better and not be as fragile for the same basic price point. I have no sentimental value in this gun so it wasn't an issue to have it non factory. Nice to see they have them in stock for those interested in a replica replacement part.

Jay
I agree with you it just that those 721-722 barrels were outstanding.