Rem700 Mtn Rifle 3006 - mtn ready?

I have a rem 700 3006 blued/walnut stock that was made in the mid 80s

It has significant sentimental value to me. I inherited it from my dad who passed when I was 20. I used it to kill my first deer at 13. He shot an elk and mulie with it. I shot a moose. Between the two of us it’s probably shot 50 whitetails.

It’s bluing and wood stock shows the miles. I want to do a rifle elk hunt again next fall and instead of buying a new rifle I’d like to use this one. Looking for suggestions to get it mountain ready.

A few years ago I put a Triggertech in. I pillarbedded, free floated, and sealed the wood stock. I’d like to hunt with the wood stock but even with the work I did I’m still worried about POI changes. Is that a real concern or not?

I need a new scope and ring suggestions. It had an old Leupold 2-7x. Would like a 3-9 that can dial if needed (probably trijicon credo or similar)

I want to get this to a 350-400yd max gun. Currently shoots 180 Fusions, ok, but haven’t spent a ton of time to see what it’s capable of or fooled around with other factory ammo or reloading for it. I think my barrel life is okay still, maybe a 1000 rounds ?

xsn10s

WKR
Sorry about your Dad, but what a great rifle to carry on a family tradition with. As long as the barrel didn't get shot hot much it should have a lot of life left in it. The stock is hard to say, if it's sealed well then it shouldn't be an issue. You could always get another stock for harsh wet weather and put the rifle back in it's original stock for the rest of the time. But for the range you're talking about I think I'd just apply some carnuba wax over the entire stock prior to any hunt. I'd probably concentrate on the scope. Get a Trijicon or a Nightforce and start doing some load development. Good luck buddy and enjoy your rifle.

xsn10s

WKR
I haven't had enough coffee yet so I might have missed one part. So does your Mountain rifle have a laminated stock? I have a short action 700 Mountain rifle stock and it's laminated wood. That is pretty well sealed right from the get go. If it's laminated you should be GTG.

OP
nettereo16
Nope just standard walnut with poly finish. When I pillar bedded I sealed all exposed wood. I’d like to hunt with this stock and not worried about more dings. More worried about temp/moisture causing me to have POI headaches on a wet hunt

1699712014610.jpeg

xsn10s

WKR
Nope just standard walnut with poly finish. When I pillar bedded I sealed all exposed wood. I’d like to hunt with this stock and not worried about more dings. More worried about temp/moisture causing me to have POI headaches on a wet hunt

View attachment 625588
If we're talking about wet hunts like in the Carolinas then yes it could be an issue. You could try to seal it with something like varathane and then caruba wax it prior to a hunt but there are no guarantees. You could go with a laminated stock then the best option would be a synthetic stock. Preferable one that had an aluminum bedding. Or a really good fiberglass stock. but it does look like you sealed your Dad's stock well.

Spoonbill

WKR
I have a rem 700 3006 blued/walnut stock that was made in the mid 80s

It has significant sentimental value to me. I inherited it from my dad who passed when I was 20. I used it to kill my first deer at 13. He shot an elk and mulie with it. I shot a moose. Between the two of us it’s probably shot 50 whitetails.

It’s bluing and wood stock shows the miles. I want to do a rifle elk hunt again next fall and instead of buying a new rifle I’d like to use this one. Looking for suggestions to get it mountain ready.

A few years ago I put a Triggertech in. I pillarbedded, free floated, and sealed the wood stock. I’d like to hunt with the wood stock but even with the work I did I’m still worried about POI changes. Is that a real concern or not?

I need a new scope and ring suggestions. It had an old Leupold 2-7x. Would like a 3-9 that can dial if needed (probably trijicon credo or similar)

I want to get this to a 350-400yd max gun. Currently shoots 180 Fusions, ok, but haven’t spent a ton of time to see what it’s capable of or fooled around with other factory ammo or reloading for it. I think my barrel life is okay still, maybe a 1000 rounds ?

Trijicon makes a ffp 2-10x36 credo or if you don’t mind sfp scopes, the nightforce nxs 2-10x42 would probably work. You can try and find a swfa 3-9 but I have had mine backordered for months and am still waiting on it.

As far as ammo goes, hornady precision hunter may be the way to go. Browning also “makes” 30-06 ammo with the 195 tmk but I haven’t ever seen it in stock.

I wouldnt worry about your rifle stock since you sealed it and pillar bedded it, I am no expert but I think you will be fine, especially since you pillar bedded and sealed it

Seeknelk

WKR
You'll have zero issues with the stock for a standard range hunting rifle. Especially a freshly re sealed one. Me and millions of others have had water absolutely running over simple factory walnut for decades with nearly zero issues. The poi shift thing is a very rare thing. It CAN happen but rare.
My uncle's old 700 looked like a raw, grey 2x4 for at least 15 years. This guy has killed a barge full of critter in PNW, NE Montana (same wet, shitty weather every fall) and Alaska.

BLJ

WKR
You'll have zero issues with the stock for a standard range hunting rifle. Especially a freshly re sealed one. Me and millions of others have had water absolutely running over simple factory walnut for decades with nearly zero issues. The poi shift thing is a very rare thing. It CAN happen but rare.
My uncle's old 700 looked like a raw, grey 2x4 for at least 15 years. This guy has killed a barge full of critter in PNW, NE Montana (same wet, shitty weather every fall) and Alaska.
This +100.
I’m the first in line for over analyzing this and trying to mitigate that.
Fact is what you have will do anything you want in whatever conditions you’re faced with at appropriate hunting distances you’re comfortable with. Been like this for hundreds of years and will be for hundreds more.

As far as the scope goes, I would recommend the Trijicon Credo 3-9.
17 ounces and completely reliable in my experience. Good luck.

xsn10s

WKR
I dunno the torrential rains I saw in the Carolinas and Georgia were far worse than I've seen in the PNW or Alaska. But you could certainly try it out since you have all that work in it.

I say don’t touch a thing. Part of what makes hunting as special is the nostalgia of it. Items and knowledge passed down through the ages are to be treasured.

Your dad’s rifle killed long before it came to you, and it’ll get the job done long after you’ve passed it on to your kids.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
In a typical day here,that stock would walk POA/POI.

MR handles are amongst my favorite Big Green offerings(Classic at the top). A Living Walnut handle,as illustrated,is begging for issues.

Now as far as projectile selection goes,Big Green '06's enjoy a forgiving twist rate,are throated nicely and have a rather huge COAL latitude,in issued guise. Barrel life is a non-issue.

Anything is better than a Leupold. Base/rings rate consideration too. While not a Trijicon Guy,that will be a huge upgrade,in rugged reliability. Leupold Back Country homogenous ring/bases are Skookum and have some meat on the bone.

With a few modest mechanical improvements,it could be made into a trusted platform and they tend to shoot rather well.............

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen LOTS of folks bit with POA/POI issues and "free floated" barrels,upon Living Wood handles.

It's simply worth the minimal time and "effort",to mitigate said potential,from the equation.

NOTHING is warmer/fuzzier,than rugged reliability............

Vern400

WKR
Aside from the trigger, that rifle will likely already outshoot you in field conditions if it's healthy. You haven't selected ammunition, practiced with it in weather, right handed, left handed, propped on a pine limb, etc. But it might honestly need a bore scope to check for carbon ring, hard carbon or copper fouling before you do that. Take it easy because you may only want to shoot 10 or 15 shots per session. It's a kicker, and if you get sensitive and develop a flinch it's a hard habit to break. Don't worry about the gun. It wont fail you. By all means de-oil all your scope mount screws and use 242 loctite on them. If you Get it mounted at a gun store and they won't...then problems. And put a level on it you can watch with your off-eye. At 400 yds holding level matters a lot.

I'll tell honestly I might not be able to shoot it well. An 8 pound 308 is enough recoil to suit me!

So cool! I love sentimental guns. Guys make big deals about wood stocks and problems with moisture, but I have never seen it personally. If its sealed, you are good to go.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
The less you "know","see" and "do",the "better" everything is.

As mentioned,I barely get 180" of rain a year. Barely over an inch today. What do you "experience"?

Define "sealed",as per your "experience" and the particulars of same...............

Floridave

FNG
I’m leaving tomorrow for a week of deer hunting, it’s going to rain probably Tuesday and Wednesday, I’m carrying what was my grandfather’s REM 721 with wood stock and I’m not worried a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
You are probably not going to be hunting elk in SE Alaska. You’re good to go.