Remington 700 ML

Zeroed my 700ML today, 80gr BH209 by weight with a 250gr Barnes. Shot about a 2-3 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. No ignition problems with CCI standard 209 primers and the Badger ridge kit. I have a Williams peep sight and ran out of elevation though. I’m still 4 inches low at 100. Any suggestions for a lower front sight?

The badger ridge conversion is well worth the money! My total load development with BH209 was 4 shots. 1st shot to confirm on paper and the next three went sub MOA.
What are using for bullets?

I had heard that full bore bullets have trouble sealing enough with BH 209 in the 700 ML. Only shot sabots out of mine as I have a Knight set up for CO hunts that does well with the Hornady FPB and BH 209, but I might need more rigs set up with full diameter bullets for CO in the future, so would like to find something that works with the BH 209 in the 700 so I don't have to stock different powders.

Last edited:
Zeroed my 700ML today, 80gr BH209 by weight with a 250gr Barnes. Shot about a 2-3 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. No ignition problems with CCI standard 209 primers and the Badger ridge kit. I have a Williams peep sight and ran out of elevation though. I’m still 4 inches low at 100. Any suggestions for a lower front sight?
Depending on the barrel contour, you can get different sized rear sight ramps from Williams.

Last edited:
My 700 would shoot BH very well. Really do not think you need a mag primer though. The 700 BP is so short regular shot gun primers shoot very well. With a Mag primer you will tend to close the flash channel in the breech plug down very quickly.

No matter which primer you might use you will need to hand drill out/clean the flash channel of the breech plug.

Also I would mention do not try to clean the flash hole with anything metal. It erodes quick enough without helping it get larger. Normal soaking the BP in a cleaning solution after drilling out the flash channel will clear the flash hole. Blowing compressed air through the flash hole will clear it in most cases after soaking

bp-diagram.jpg
In addition to the steps listed above, I usually set a primer off before loading. This burns any oil residue that might have accumulated from sitting upright out of the flash hole. Have never had ignition problems in the field with this approach. Started doing it years back when percussion caps were still the latest thing, and it cured the occasional hang fire I used to get.

jlink83

FNG
I am shooting BH209 in my 700MLS with Lukes breech plug, I am currently shooting the Fury Universal fit 320s with 83 grains by weight of BH209. Before the season checking zero I put 2 in the same hole at 105 yards.

Make sure you use a .060 veggie wad under the bullet to get them to expand. Try the Fury 320 universal with the integrated wad.

Thanks for the tip, Bob.

I did think to try a wad if I had ignition troubles with the 700 and full diameter bullets. Was hoping to use the Hornady FPB for the following reasons:

1. The ignition has been flawless with them and BH in my Knights, in my brother's TC's, and several other ML I have worked with.

2. We have killed a lot of large game with them and the terminal performance has been outstanding.

3. Because they worked so well, I bought
several hundred, at least, of them.

I didn't know if would have trouble getting the FPB backside to obturate with a wad, but if it's sealing things up anyway, it might not be an issue. Definitely worth a shot or 3. If I have to get something different that works with less hassle and or more reliability, it's no big deal. The Fury looks to be a well designed set up for sealing up the powder charge.

In addition to the steps listed above, I usually set a primer off before loading. This burns any oil residue that might have accumulated from sitting upright out of the flash hole. Have never had ignition problems in the field with this approach. Started doing it years back when percussion caps were still the latest thing, and it cured the occasional hang fire I used to get.

A very good practice - I pop 3 primers before loading after cleaning...