Removing tripod legs?

Elite

WKR
I am wondering if any one removes the bottom sections of the tripods to reduce weight? I have a promaster xc525c and want to use it for sheep hunting but will never stand up and use it on the mountain so I am wondering if I could remove some bottom legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimagold

FNG
I did that to my Manfrotto tripod for hunting. Had to break the lowest locking mechanism and then sourced slightly larger rubber caps for ends of legs. Never looked back as I have another full size still available.

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
I did that to my Manfrotto tripod for hunting. Had to break the lowest locking mechanism and then sourced so slightly larger rubber caps for ends of legs. Never looked back as I have another full size still available.

Yes, done the same thing with the bottom section and rubber caps on my manfrotto carbon, but I didn't have to break anything, they just slid off once loosened. Easy to add back on too on mine.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Could always just fully extend them and saw them off right at the bottom of the leg you are keeping.

Here’s a thread on the topic. Scroll down to my posts, I have the XC 522 and unscrewed the legs.

tdhanses

WKR
Not all tripods will do that. Mine will not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Then how did they install the collapsible legs? They can be removed, maybe in a different manner but if they adjust and are set into place by tension they can be removed. Might be a retainer clip or something but they had to install them somehow.

WoodBow

WKR
Then how did they install the collapsible legs? They can be removed, maybe in a different manner but if they adjust and are set into place by tension they can be removed. Might be a retainer clip or something but they had to install them somehow.
I assume they insert the leg and then epoxy on the lock mechanism. I am talking about flip locks. I habe no experience w the twist locks. I know i looked at disassembling mine to dip it and it is not possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I removed the legs on a Vortex flip lock tripod. Remove the screw holding the flip lock to the upper leg and the leg section pulls right out. Purchased some rubber chair leg ends that fit the remaining leg section. I did cut the center tripod post as it was to long to use the tripod in a lowest position plus it removed a few more ounces from the tripod weight. Overall I dropped over a pound off my tripod weight.

I just tried this with my XC525C tonight. I fully loosened the bottom leg section and it pulled right out after I removed the twist lock. If you found the right plug to cover the threads you’d be golden.

Attachments

• 52D3093A-9A7A-4300-A7DF-4F2447AF9BB0.jpeg
    52D3093A-9A7A-4300-A7DF-4F2447AF9BB0.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41

Vandy321

WKR
Chopped off the bottom two sections of my promaster xc525c, pretty excited to drop almost 8.5oz. Still comes in at 42" to the top of the ball head, plenty high even on the steepest hillside.

Figured I'd bump this to pass along the idea for anyone else cutting weight after this fall.

Jordan86

FNG
Yes, done the same thing with the bottom section and rubber caps on my manfrotto carbon, but I didn't have to break anything, they just slid off once loosened. Easy to add back on too on mine.
Where did you get the rubber caps?

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I removed the legs on a Vortex flip lock tripod. Remove the screw holding the flip lock to the upper leg and the leg section pulls right out. Purchased some rubber chair leg ends that fit the remaining leg section. I did cut the center tripod post as it was to long to use the tripod in a lowest position plus it removed a few more ounces from the tripod weight. Overall I dropped over a pound off my tripod weight.

What model? I have been wanting to do this to my high county but not seeing an easy way to do it.