SLIK Pro CF-635 Mod

After humping around my 36.8 ounce Outdoorsmans compact tripod on my sheep hunt I figured I could do better and gave it to my guide.

Picked up the SLIK at less than half the price and 30.9 ounces.

bb7ff00d21197bf5dc0723f4bc368355.jpg

I bought this knowing I would modify it as it’s 14.5” taller than the Outdoorsmans and even that one was taller than needed since I prefer to sit while using a spotter.

Broke out the dremel with cut off wheel and arrow squaring jig and went to town cutting off the threaded connections.

c3e39ed5e3fa4ba518d115c18a1b62a5.jpg

Used the same squaring jig to clean up the cuts

7ef40e99cd66e7f4c6cd1d2a25f6c4c2.jpg

This is what was removed - bottom 2 sections and cut off connections.

ec3be4190f2ebcabde5027b5862dcd3f.jpg

Picked up some 5/8" rubber feet on Amazon and added a drop of gel super glue for added insurance.

2865ec4f62c6612d72e07eda3cb166fe.jpg

Finished product comes in at 23.8 ounces. Loaded up with my micro pan head it’s all in at 31.6 ounces vs. 44.3 ounces.

Pretty compact right at 16”

95569e1569b4dd05e7294e5c5a20d317.jpg

And here it is all set up

107414ba61b5b0d751ad15a96098d19d.jpg

Took right at 30 minutes from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome. Did you take out a chunk of each leg, or remove whole sections? I have a similar project in mind...

OP
Ohio Darin
Awesome. Did you take out a chunk of each leg, or remove whole sections? I have a similar project in mind...

I removed the bottom 2 sections and cut off the threaded connection from the bottom third section. I use this with an angled spotter so I can get a little lower with everything. I basically just want to be able to use sitting on the ground, a rock or a stump all which I can achieve with this configuration. If I was to use my straight spotter, I would probably just remove the bottom section and half of the 2nd from bottom section if that makes sense.

Yep makes sense. I have a tripod with lever locks that you can remove with an allen wrench. I'll have to get some of those rubber feet and see how much it would reduce the weight to take off the bottom section. Thanks for posting this definitely got the juices flowing.

OP
Ohio Darin
Yep makes sense. I have a tripod with lever locks that you can remove with an allen wrench. I'll have to get some of those rubber feet and see how much it would reduce the weight to take off the bottom section. Thanks for posting this definitely got the juices flowing.

Good luck. PM me your address if you happen to need 5/8” round feet and I’ll send you some. Only could find a pack of 16 so I have a couple spares.

Good luck. PM me your address if you happen to need 5/8” round feet and I’ll send you some. Only could find a pack of 16 so I have a couple spares.

Sweet! I'll see what diameter the end of mine is and let you know. Thanks!

Got my aluminum promaster XC 522 today. By unscrewing the bottom two sections, I save about 6oz for a tripod weight of 23oz. 34oz with the promaster ball head (anybody have a lighter suggestion?) Max height about 30in which is enough for me sitting down or sitting in a short chair. Not sure how practical it will be using it this way on a steep slopes in the field where it might be nice to have the extra leg extension.E7AE9323-DC5C-4AB6-91BB-AE8C5C4EFA4D.jpeg4A892021-FEB4-4750-B569-49BDC074CD5A.jpeg

OP
Ohio Darin
Got my aluminum promaster XC 522 today. By unscrewing the bottom two sections, I save about 6oz for a tripod weight of 23oz. 34oz with the promaster ball head (anybody have a lighter suggestion?) Max height about 30in which is enough for me sitting down or sitting in a short chair. Not sure how practical it will be using it this way on a steep slopes in the field where it might be nice to have the extra leg extension.

That'll work. Figured on steep slopes I'll most likely be sitting on the ground so should have plenty of length for the down slope leg.

The micro pan head is 3.5 oz lighter than your ball head but you're looking at about $100 per ounce of savings.

Any reason why you didn’t just put the rubber feet over the threaded end of the new last section? Saving the threaded end would give you the option of adding the lower removed sections if you ever need a taller tripod. Not criticizing, just curious since I left my threads on and wondering if i need to do some trimming.

OP
Ohio Darin
Any reason why you didn’t just put the rubber feet over the threaded end of the new last section? Saving the threaded end would give you the option of adding the lower removed sections if you ever need a taller tripod. Not criticizing, just curious since I left my threads on and wondering if i need to do some trimming.

Just to save the weight. If I feel I need them I’ll clean out the connections and glue them back on. Worst case is the tripod is a half inch shorter overall. Also thought if the threads got damaged in the field somehow then I’d really be SOL.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used these rubber caps instead of those rubber feet. I'd guess your giving up a couple more oz over these. My hunting partner did lose one once so I used a bit more epoxy the second time for insurance.
4b60c1cdfb0d425acb48e31fbdc1e842.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Ohio Darin
I used these rubber caps instead of those rubber feet. I'd guess your giving up a couple more oz over these. My hunting partner did lose one once so I used a bit more epoxy the second time for insurance.
4b60c1cdfb0d425acb48e31fbdc1e842.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

All 3 rubber feet total 0.7 ounces so don’t feel like I’m giving up much for the added grip on rock plus protection of the carbon fiber.

OP
Ohio Darin
Got looking at the top of the tripod and how it’s constructed. Don’t really need this big of a plate for my head.

bba8eefff6c9d41e41efd041071400ae.jpg

Picking up an additional 1.2 ounces. Here is what’s left after removal.

29f9f5edbf4826d92ea8c74da372522c.jpg

Puts me at 30.4 ounces tripod and head. Almost a pound savings over my old set up.

Got looking at the top of the tripod and how it’s constructed. Don’t really need this big of a plate for my head.

bba8eefff6c9d41e41efd041071400ae.jpg

Picking up an additional 1.2 ounces. Here is what’s left after removal.

29f9f5edbf4826d92ea8c74da372522c.jpg

Puts me at 30.4 ounces tripod and head. Almost a pound savings over my old set up.

I never realized that piece came off like that. I run an outdoorsmans qr adapter on top of my slik 634. To be quite honest it looks kinda stupid on top of that big aluminum disk. Gonna take mine off and see how it looks.
Thanks

OP
Ohio Darin
I never realized that piece came off like that. I run an outdoorsmans qr adapter on top of my slik 634. To be quite honest it looks kinda stupid on top of that big aluminum disk. Gonna take mine off and see how it looks.
Thanks

Yeah I thought it looked weird too. I started looking at it with possibly drilling some holes to lighten it up but figured I'd remove the hex set screw to see what its purpose was. That's how I realized it all screwed apart once set screw is removed. The round disc sort of acts like a jamb nut to keep threaded post in place. I have the same QR adapter and was toying with running with that now.

By removing the disc this is what I came up with to lock the threaded post:
Remove threaded post from tripod center post (mine came out by hand once big disc was removed)
Use two 5/16" nuts to jamb the threaded post then lock tight it to the QR.
Remove 5/16" nuts then thread QR back into the tripod post.

Yeah I thought it looked weird too. I started looking at it with possibly drilling some holes to lighten it up but figured I'd remove the hex set screw to see what its purpose was. That's how I realized it all screwed apart once set screw is removed. The round disc sort of acts like a jamb nut to keep threaded post in place. I have the same QR adapter and was toying with running with that now.

By removing the disc this is what I came up with to lock the threaded post:
Remove threaded post from tripod center post (mine came out by hand once big disc was removed)
Use two 5/16" nuts to jamb the threaded post then lock tight it to the QR.
Remove 5/16" nuts then thread QR back into the tripod post.
I just did the mod. I love the new look.
I just put some loctite on the threads. No jamb nuts. It's solid.
Thanks man.

Beendare

WKR
Nice....but that squaring jig is bad ass....more pics of that if you would please.

Did you make or purchase that?
[I just bought a spool gun so I can weld up some aluminum....a jig is on my list]