Requesting help sharpening knives

KBC

WKR
I’m not an expert so take this with a grain of salt but the common thing I see mentioned in this thread about belt sharpeners is the rounding of the tip.
I have a Ken Onion belt sharpener and I read the instructions…haha tough for guys to do.
I let go of the trigger and stop halfway through the belt at the tip and have never rounded off the tip.
I’m still figuring out the best angle but the edge on my S30V pocket knife seems to last a long time and doesn’t need anything more than a touch up from time to time.

Rich M

WKR
Pull through sharpeners take off a lot more material than necessary and they aren’t capable of making knives razor sharp. A stone or strop takes off way less material and it’s capable of creating a hair splitting edge.
Thats all fine and dandy. I use all and find a pull thru to be handy when needed. Have some knives that are over 20 years old that see frequent use and they aren’t noticeably worn. Guess it all comes down to how you use a tool.

Thats all fine and dandy. I use all and find a pull thru to be handy when needed. Have some knives that are over 20 years old that see frequent use and they aren’t noticeably worn. Guess it all comes down to how you use a tool.
If you’re happy with it, then cool, but there are definitely better tools available for creating and maintaining a good edge.

dtrkyman

WKR
I glue 3 grades of wet sand paper to a piece of trim board a couple feet long, 1500-2k is finishing grit then hit strip it with and old leather belt.

Also have a two sided wet stone, but the paper on the board is more convenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk