Rifle too long?

I have a 9" Magnus suppressor on order. I'm planning on ordering a Tikka Compact Tactical Rifle with a 20" barrel. Is this going to be too long to hunt with? Am I going to end up wanting to cut the barrel down further? I mostly hunt out of box blinds and climbers. I went with the Magnus because I have ear issues and was looking for the quietest rifle while still being able to shoot to 300+ yards.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
hunt with it a while, then you'll have a definite answer. i've hunted with a 24" 7 RM with a suppressor on the end. stupid long and i'm hiking around woods with it pretending to be quiet. animals are still dead and tasty tho.

20" CTR would be fine for me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Furthest distance and what caliber?

You could go with 16-18 in non magnums and kill to decent distances. But, 20” is a good length. It’s like a 26” with brake so it’s not “too long”.

I went with 20 and 21” barrels with my Ultra 7 and feel like it’s manageable.

I hunted once out of a blind and got an 18” barrel plus my suppressor for that hunt. As a practical matter it was doable from the pop-up blind I was in.

OP
Y
Most likely 6.5 Creedmoor. I doubt I shoot past 300 yards. My understanding is you need a long enough barrel to burn the powder efficiently. Does the suppressor count toward that length?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Run a 16” barrel if you want, you’ll kill.

If you drive 3 miles and back to the grocery store, gas efficiency doesn’t matter. Any extra velocity or powder burn past 16” isn’t going to make a difference at that killing distance.

matthewmt

WKR
Why not a 16" 300 blk out with sub sonic?
Or run ear pro on top of what you have for the most effective option.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ran into a local guy last year in Wyoming when I came over a ridge he had me in his sights, rifle had to have been 32+" with suppressor. It was all decked out, ghillie drapes and wrapped suppressor the whole nine. I didn't ask caliber but he sure liked that rifle and couldn't wait to shoot an Elk with it. Said it shoots great and didn't appear to have a problem carrying it. All that to say, shoot and carry your rifle and decide, lots of us love to nitpick inches and ounces in the off-season but going out hunting may not even notice.

180ls1

WKR
Don't overthink it. Order the gun with the 20" barrel and start hunting stuff. Adjust as needed.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
You could always put the suppressor in your backpack and screw it on when you get settled in your stand.

180ls1

WKR
The new Sig Cross has a 16" barrel and folding stock by the way. That may fit the bill perfectly.

Unckebob

WKR

If didn't like the 300BO, I would not have a 300BO AR as my home defense carbine. I have seen four 1 shot kills on deer inside 200 yards. The definitely got the job done. But, it really is a short range only cartridge.

Unckebob

WKR
I have a 9" Magnus suppressor on order. I'm planning on ordering a Tikka Compact Tactical Rifle with a 20" barrel. Is this going to be too long to hunt with? Am I going to end up wanting to cut the barrel down further? I mostly hunt out of box blinds and climbers. I went with the Magnus because I have ear issues and was looking for the quietest rifle while still being able to shoot to 300+ yards.
My (now my daughter's) 6.5CM pcame with a 22" barrel. With my Dead Air Nomad (6.5"), it was ok in a deer blind, but 20" would be better. I had my 280AI's 24" barrel cut to 20" and it's just about perfect for me.

I recommend trying it out as configured and decide if the length is a problem. If not, have it cut and threaded. It isn't an expensive change.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
20” should be fine. 18” would be better for dedicated suppressed with a 9” suppressor

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about how effective the 300BO is with subsonic rounds. I also, do think it could go out to 300+ yards like the OP wants.

atmat

WKR
A lot of it is personal preference. That said, my longest barrel (for suppressors) is 16.5”.

The shorter the better, provided you’re maintaining velocities out to the distance you need.

sdupontjr

WKR
I hunt box blinds and ladder stands. I had been using my Browning Abolt II Medallion 7mag with Boss since I was the early 1990's or so when they came out. The issue I had hunting box blinds was getting the barrel out of the stand. barrel was 24" and the Boss added about 3-3.5". The stands were 4'x4'. Now my Box stands are not sitting over an open field where you have plenty time to set up and make a shot. Mine are in hardwoods, where its more about concealment that comfort. I had a custom 20" 308 built on a R700 action and it made a world of difference. I have since sold it and picked up 2 tikkas in 308, one being a CTR 20" 308. A whole lot easier to get out of windows and such to shoot. Now my stands are 4'x6' and barrel length isn't as much as a problem. But, as others mentioned, screw it on in the stand.

I think yardage is like dicks,we always claim longer.
I bet the the majority of all game is 300 and in.
Mines getting cut short.

Weldor

WKR
I have hunted suppressed for a long time, Harvester, sig 7.62, Banish. 20" seems to be the best compromise for me. Velocities stay between 2650 and 2900 in my 6.5 PRC, I have a 16" 308 and 300 Ham'r the velocities take a hit but are still usable out to 350 - 400 if you choose to shoot that far. My hunting buddy say's you look like a radio operator when you shoulder the weapon. 564 for this Coues deer. Rifle weighs 8-1/4 lbs 22 bbl.

Attachments

• coues hunt harvester.JPEG
    coues hunt harvester.JPEG
    113.6 KB · Views: 11