Rifle for elk hunting

OP
P
FYI the 10 post requirement for classifieds access can be met by posting replies to existing threads...you don't have to start 10 new threads.
Figured that out after a couple. Legit questions I guess, but I could have searched. Never done this before.

sticman77

FNG
what part of the country are you in? for western hunting 7mm rem mag provides a nice cartridge for elk and the 3-600 yard shots that you will be taking. i like it for its ballistic properties, and also availability. there are slightly better cartridges but 7rm is a good combo of ballistics, price, and availability IMO

nobody

WKR
50bmg, only ethical caliber for elk, this is of course are being hunted on public ground, if it's a private property elk, you'll only need a 22LR.
I love that you’re perpetuating this. Care if I jump in and pile on? 😂

nobody

WKR
@Pioneerboy99 the answer to your question is largely subjective. However, arguably the “most popular” answer on rokslide is a stainless tikka T3X, cut to 20” or less, threaded for a suppressor, installed in either a KRG bravo chassis or a Stocky’s VG2 (until the Rokstock is officially here), chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 Winchester (with a 1:8 twist), or .223 (also with a 1:8 twist). It the gun would likely wear Unknown Munitions dovetail direct mount tikka rings, with either a Maven RS1.2, Trijicon of some flavor, nightforce of some flavor, a Bushnell LRHS of some flavor, or an SWFA fixed 6x, 10x, 3-9, 3-15, or 5-20, in MRAD of course.

But if honestly, I think the best course of action is to follow what @IDVortex said above. 22LR may be a bit sharp in the recoil department, but a good brake or a suppressor will help.