Rifle Question from a bowhunter...

Hey everyone,
I know there are different forums where this could be discussed but I have always really appreciated the dialogue on Rokslide. I have bowhunted almost exclusively for the last 15 years. I have been saving my cash for the past few years to purchase a rifle. I am not in a huge hurry but wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are. I grew up occasionally shooting with my grandpa's 30-06. I am hoping to buy one rifle that I can fill tags with where I don't with my bow (last year I had wy gen tag and went home w/ no elk during archery and kicking myself for not being able to go back for gen season). I know there have obviously been a ton of annoying threads/arguments about "what is the best elk caliber, deer caliber" etc. I am looking for a great all around caliber for hunting across the west and a rifle that I can give to my son later on down the road. Right now I am leaning heavily towards a Christensen Ridgeline 300 WSM with a Maven RS.1 riflescope. I understand that ammo availability and price are certainly an issue but, as someone who primarily shoots my bow, I dont really see this as too big of a deal honestly. I want to have reliable rifle in all conditions (from Kodiak Sitka to elk, deer and pronghorn). Do you guys have any thoughts about going this route or things that I would be blatantly missing? I feel like it is a solid setup but again, dont have a ton of rifle experience and am second guessing a lot. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Easter everyone.

madcalfe

WKR
I have a ridgeline in .300wsm to me personally its my favorite cartridge. I've taken numerous 6 point elks with it.
I think a ridgeline shooting 180gr accubonds is a perfect combo

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Solid choice. Great cartridge.

Ignore this if you want a big boomer, I am giving you my philosophy on cartridge selection. The thing with magnums is recoil. Everyone says put a brake on it, but that doesn't tame the movement under recoil before the bullet leaves the bore. That recoil absolutely causes missed shots.

IMO, for that reason, the extra bang isn't worth it for shots inside 400. Unless you just want that extra oomph, a 30-06, 270, 270 wsm, 308, 260, or 6.5 cm are great western guns for everything including elk and black bear. Go look at the .223 TMK thread about killing elk, moose, and bear.

If you go outside of 400, then the wsm has a little more meaningful difference, but a 280 ackley shooting 168's or a 6.5 PRC shooting 143 or 147 has less recoil and can match the ballistics and effective range.

My personal choice is a balance of all those factors, a 7mm mag shooting 180 grain for long range and a 6mm shooting 95 to 110 for short, even on elk, and everything else intermediate.

SDHNTR

WKR
Excellent choice in cartridge. Not a fan of CA, personally. Do a thorough search here and make up your own mind. Personally, if it were me and I wanted a one and done rifle for all the things you mentioned, make mine a 30-06 or 7mm mag in a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather. You’d never need to question your rifle. I’d put a Zeiss V4 4-14x44 on it and go on my merry way knowing I’d never need anything more.

rclouse79

WKR
I would be tempted to narrow it down to a few calibers and then look for ammo first. Once you have enough to last for many season buy the gun. I bought a savage 220 for a short range weapon season and was afraid I had purchased an expensive paper weight when I couldn't find any ammo. Luckily I found some, but it was stressful. I like .270, 7mm, or 30-06.

madcalfe

WKR
Solid choice. Great cartridge.

Ignore this if you want a big boomer, I am giving you my philosophy on cartridge selection. The thing with magnums is recoil. Everyone says put a brake on it, but that doesn't tame the movement under recoil before the bullet leaves the bore. That recoil absolutely causes missed shots.

IMO, for that reason, the extra bang isn't worth it for shots inside 400. Unless you just want that extra oomph, a 30-06, 270, 270 wsm, 308, 260, or 6.5 cm are great western guns for everything including elk and black bear. Go look at the .223 TMK thread about killing elk, moose, and bear.

If you go outside of 400, then the wsm has a little more meaningful difference, but a 280 ackley shooting 168's or a 6.5 PRC shooting 143 or 147 has less recoil and can match the ballistics and effective range.

My personal choice is a balance of all those factors, a 7mm mag shooting 180 grain for long range and a 6mm shooting 95 to 110 for short, even on elk, and everything else
I would have to disagree. I’ve been exclusively shooting .300wsm for 10 years. And a good brake you don’t even notice recoil. My current .300wsm is a full custom 5lbs 4oz 20” barrel and its doesn’t recoil no more than a .243. I will agree a .280AI, 7mm Remington mag, 270wsm, 308, 30.06 will all be fine elk guns i wouldn't recommend a 6.5cm though

Last edited:
I would have to disagree. I’ve been exclusively shooting .300wsm for 10 years. And a good brake you don’t even notice recoil. My current .300wsm is a full custom 5lbs 4oz 20” barrel and its doesn’t recoil no more than a .243. I will agree a .280AI, 7mm Remington mag, 270wsm, 308, 30.06 will all be fine elk guns i wouldn't recommend a 6.5cm though

Agree. My 30-378 wby boomstick feels like an air rifle (sounds like a cannon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is a difference between felt recoil and the recoil that affects accuracy. Between primer pop and bullet leaving the barrel, a brake does nothing.

It beyond dispute that a big boomer and light rifle, braked or not, are hard to shoot well because of the recoil. Even setting aside flinch.

madcalfe

WKR
There is a difference between felt recoil and the recoil that affects accuracy. Between primer pop and bullet leaving the barrel, a brake does nothing.

It beyond dispute that a big boomer and light rifle, braked or not, are hard to shoot well because of the recoil. Even setting aside flinch.
hmm i dunno i personally don't notice it on a .300wsm
id way way rather shoot my .300wsm over my gf unbraked tikka 30.06 any day of the week.

Gen273

WKR
300 WSM is one of my favorite cartridges. However, the good ole 30-06 is a perfect jack of all trades.

OP
I appreciate all the input and feedback you all provided. Initially I was ready to go on the 300 wsm but after doing a bit of a deeper dive into everything you all are saying, I am second guessing myself and looking more seriously at a 30-06 and the 300 WSM. I had a few more questions and thoughts for you all.

Being that I have not shot a ton in my life (again, been primarily a bowhunter for the last 15 years), I am starting realistically from square 1. Regardless of what I end up with, it will have a brake on it. I have a S&W 629 PD that I shoot fairly regularly and am used to recoil (just accepting its there) and I dont feel it affects my accuracy. That being said, with a brake is the recoil on the 300 WSM that much more noticeable than the 06? I want a gun that I am comfortable shooting and not intimidated by.

The ammo availability aspect some of you brought up is a real concern. 30-06 is just far easier to get and about 30% cheaper where I live. I think this can be mitigated with a long term approach (again dont even have the gun yet) but it is a concern.

Being my level of proficiency, I dont anticipate myself shooting at anything living out past 400 yards. With something in the 180gr range, there doesnt seem to be a huge difference between the 300wsm and the 30-06. Out past 400, things seem to change quite a bit. Thoughts?

The consensus on this thread so far seems to be the 30-06 (even though the 300wsm is well liked) for what I'd be utilizing. This has me leaning now towards the 30-06. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inside 400 yards its not gonna matter much. Flip a coin and live with what luck chooses for you.

Felt recoil depends on lots of things. A braked 300 wsm won't be too much recoil, but muzzle blast can affect some people. I can't shoot a braked rifle as long as I can suppressed because of the concussion.

Laramie

WKR
30-06 is an excellent choice. I like the ballistics of the 165 grain personally but the 180s are great as well.

OP
Appreciate the feedback guys! Gonna order the 30-06. Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Maven RS.1 (2.5-15x44)? I’ve seen good reviews and want a quality hunting scope that is durable and has good glass. Any negatives with Maven or this scope in particular?

I read a ton about the Zeiss Conquest v4 but reviews seem solid for the Maven