Rifle Tripod and Head - Leofoto ?

eltaco

WKR
I’m looking for a stable shooting platform for hunting in the Midwest, primarily for my kids. I currently have a BOG pan head with clamp that I personally think is complete trash… it’s come apart 3x on the shot, spins free of the tripod and is pretty much all or nothing in terms for movement tension.

That said, I’m seeing quite a few of you guys are using Leofoto tripods, and they seem reasonable on price as compared to Leupold and Vortex carbon tripods or other setups… although I’m sure they’re coming from the same factory.

Could use some guidance on preferred options and what you guys view as a stable platform. Ball heads come in many different sizes, how large do I need to go for a stable setup? 40, 47, 54, etc?

All of the ratings are far higher than my rifle weight of 7.5#.

I do have a separate tripod that’s well suited to glassing, so it’s probably likely this rifle tripod will only be used for rifle shooting, and likely only at seated heights.

Lastly, I have a pic rail at the front of my Seekins Element for a bipod. Could I realistically clamp to that even though it’s forward of center, or do I need to install a rail or use a rifle clamp towards center or mass?

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Leofoto ST-324CL. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting from a standing position. Sitting with a pack under the stock, I feel comfortable shooting out to 400. My rail is mounted just forward from my magazing well.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I use a Leofoto ST-324CL. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting from a standing position. Sitting with a pack under the stock, I feel comfortable shooting out to 400. My rail is mounted just forward from my magazing well.

Thanks for that!

I’m currently planning to order a LS-364C Ranger tripod, and I’m still not sure how large to go on the ball head. I’m leaning towards just going with the LH-55SC since it’s the biggest option. Maybe overkill for my lightweight setup, but with my pic rail being at the front of the stock it probably can’t hurt to have more holding force.

Open to thoughts from anyone. I have minimal experience with shooting off of a dedicated rifle tripod. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger now.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Order placed. I could have saved a fair bit of money by going with a 40 or 47mm ball… but I took the plunge for the 55. I’ll be curious to see how it fits on the ranger tripod and performs in the field

Krumfola

FNG
Let us know how it does. I’m thinking about the MH series head for ease of adjustment with the large handle on the left side which could also function as a hand rest. The LH heads seem like more adjustment than I need.

I’m looking at the SA-364c. There are just so many options.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I ended up ordering the LS-364C Ranger with LH-55 ball head with lever connection. I like that this head accepts both arca and pic rail.

Again, I’m coming from a Slik tripod which I’d used in the past for a spotting scope. I have no other experience with tripod mounting a rifle, so I’m sure others can provide better reviews.

In the end, my goal was to have a dedicated rifle tripod, and I want it to be very stable especially for my kids to use with me hunting by their side. I also have a front pic rail mounted to my rifle so was intrigued to have that be dual use for bipod or tripod connection. Honestly, with as stable as this tripod is I don’t know that I’ll end up getting a bipod for my uses.

This tripod may be overkill for my lightweight hunting rifle, but I wasn’t sure where to draw the line so I just went as stable as possible. I maybe could have saved some weight and cost and still been as satisfied, but didn’t want to chance it.

We brought the tripod out and just happened to take my middle sons first deer with it this weekend. He was able to get on target easily and even back out of the rifle a couple of times to catch his breath and control his heart rate before taking the shot. I love that he could adjust to the deer and drop the rifle without it moving off of target.

Total setup is 5.5# and it’s so good I’d legitimately consider carrying this to the mountains for their or my uses. Otherwise, this will be our primary tool for Midwest hunting from here forward!
ff2ddc8f37eb31a7c4f2843ba4abf6d0.jpg

9fbcac07a442454f008cf42f1ca1f4a8.jpg

fdaa885ac2af5dcda941c44c32b1e854.jpg

Last edited:

Crews

FNG
Light, stable, cheap… pick 2. I’ve never regretted my investment in Really Right Stuff tripods and heads.

Also, as far as rifle shooting, don’t look past using a bag instead of clamping the rifle into the head. In the past, when I tested out all the Chinese made stuff, I found that a lightweight Game Changer thrown over the top was just as stable as locking into a budget oriented ballhead

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Light, stable, cheap… pick 2. I’ve never regretted my investment in Really Right Stuff tripods and heads.

Also, as far as rifle shooting, don’t look past using a bag instead of clamping the rifle into the head. In the past, when I tested out all the Chinese made stuff, I found that a lightweight Game Changer thrown over the top was just as stable as locking into a budget oriented ballhead

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m not sure I’d consider the Leofoto “cheap” as it was still a pretty size able entry cost. So far, I’m in love with it. That 55mm ball head is super easy to control and very stable. I really like the pic rail integration, which I don’t see on other options I considered.

RRS is probably a superior product for the right customer. I don’t really feel the need to have a tripod which costs as much as my rifle for our uses.

I can’t even explain how much better this is than the BOG deathgrip we were using.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
I run a leofoto 323c with a Sunwayfoto IB30 inverted ball head, bout 4.5# all together, works for glassing and shokting. I much prefer shooting in the kneeling position or seated if possible. It's not that stable for standing shots. If you plan to shoot standing, get something with 36-40mm tube as the largest diameter. The extra weights worth the stability if standing shots are the norm.

Kdye01

FNG
FatBoy makes a great tripod with their own ball head.

Two vets with an RRS ball head is great

Vortex tripod isn’t that bad either.

Definitely get an Arcarail on your rifle so you can attach it directly to the ball head and swap out bipods and so forth.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I run a leofoto 323c with a Sunwayfoto IB30 inverted ball head, bout 4.5# all together, works for glassing and shokting. I much prefer shooting in the kneeling position or seated if possible. It's not that stable for standing shots. If you plan to shoot standing, get something with 36-40mm tube as the largest diameter. The extra weights worth the stability if standing shots are the norm.

Thanks, that’s good input.
I really anticipate only shooting from the seated position or lower, but opted for the 36mm tube version since I didn’t have any experience to go off of. Maybe could have gotten by with a lighter unit, but have to say the stability with the 364 + 55mm ball head is incredible. Great setup for our uses, and probably worth the extra pound knowing we have some added versatility.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a solid look at the Spartan. It's easy for the kids to use, good enough for 2k yard shoots (My 15 years was hitting the vitals every time at 500 yards few weeks back at a shooting school, hit 1600 yard sheep size steel.) Can go prone, stand up, used for glassing, super light whatever. We sell a ton of Spartan, feel free to call anytime if you have questions.

370196125_360824159953530_1448918155234142368_n.jpg

MojaveJim

FNG
I hate to inform you that Leofoto is the cheap china knockoff of RRS & Gitzo, some have better support after the sale like twovets but they're just cheap knockoffs. I've been there & done that, Fisol, PVA tripod then got my RRS, day & night difference. Wish I wouldn't have wasted money trying to save money. BTW it's not the weight of the rifle you have to worry about, it's the recoil load.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I hate to inform you that Leofoto is the cheap china knockoff of RRS & Gitzo, some have better support after the sale like twovets but they're just cheap knockoffs. I've been there & done that, Fisol, PVA tripod then got my RRS, day & night difference. Wish I wouldn't have wasted money trying to save money. BTW it's not the weight of the rifle you have to worry about, it's the recoil load.

Thanks for the info.

No worries. I ordered the Leofoto and so far really pleased with my purchase.

I think it’s both the weight of rifle and recoil which are important attributes for the tripod head. I am connected to the front end of the stock so wanted to be sure the ball could hold the rifle stably on target when letting loose of the rifle. I also want it to be stable on the shot. So far, this tripod does everything I’d been looking for.