Rifle tripod setup for Elk hunt

HNTR918

WKR
I am jealous of that setup! How is it shooting off that setup? and what slik are you using?
Prone, sitting, kneeling is ROCK solid, especially with a pack as rear support. Standing has some flex, but its a compromise for weight. Slik 634 Pro CF.

With that pan head? Explain to me how you are able to work that setup with only 2 hands? Wouldnt a ball head, like on most purpose built shooting tripods, work better?
Fluid Head.
Sirui VA-5.
It's one hand operation once the ARCA plate is locked in.
A ball head is easier, but in the back country I spend days glassing and seconds shooting.
I'm not going to downgrade the level of glassing for a "tiny" bit easier operation when shooting does occur.
(and only when attaching/detaching the rifle)

If I was doing shooting competitions and only had to carry it 10 feet, then that's a no brainer for ball head and leveling plate.
I might even go that route for Pronghorn/Oryx/Africa type hunts.

SDHNTR

WKR
Prone, sitting, kneeling is ROCK solid, especially with a pack as rear support. Standing has some flex, but its a compromise for weight. Slik 634 Pro CF.

Fluid Head.
Sirui VA-5.
A ball head is easier, but in the back country I spend days glassing and seconds shooting.
I'm not going to downgrade the level of glassing for a "tiny" bit easier operation when shooting does occur.

If I was doing shooting competitions and only had to carry it 10 feet, then that's a no brainer for ball head and leveling plate.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider

Fluid Head.
Sirui VA-5.

Great to hear a lightweight tripod being solid up to knee height. Seems like I'll be buying a VA-5 head and legs soon!

Blaw

WKR
I went down the path of the tripod myself here recently.
Bought an innorel ST344C tripod as it checked all the boxes for weight, heights, etc. With this tripod's purpose being used for 90% hunting related activities, I figured what the heck.
I wanted to use an Anvil 30 with this commie pod so I ordered an RRS series 3 adapter plate in hopes that it would work. It kind of does but doesn't fit extremely tight so I had to get creative. I ended up getting a 3" long 3/8-16 stud to use with the included handle and put an O-ring on the bottom of the adapter plate under the lip. Surprisingly, it is actually really damn snug and no wiggle at all. Pictured is my 12 lb 6.5 and the 14.5 lb 300wm hanging from the pic rails.
I will say that after taking the tripod to the range, I was blown away at how easy it was to hit targets out to 600 yards. This fall will be interesting to see if I actually get an opportunity to use it on an elk, but if I do need it for farther shots, I will have it.
how short is that barrel in the KRG chassis?

what powder and amount? i figured you would lose more velocity? was that chronod?
41 grains of RL-16, starline brass, fed GM215M primers. And yes it has been shot over my Labradar for approximately 50% of the rounds down the tube. I love data. I had it at 41.5 gr and around 2750 fps but I would see slight pressure indicators at extreme heat or when the barrel was getting dirty so I backed it down.

PowPowHawg

Lil-Rokslider
IF cost is of no issue Really Right Stuff is gonna be a very tough tripod to be in terms of shooting Stability. Coming form manfrotto’s back in the day all the way up to RRS now… I wouldn’t look at anything else. I own two and am now in the market for an Ascend 14 long to add to my equipment base….