Rifle weight/balance question....

I currently have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical that I bought a few years back, before I ever had any intention of backpack hunting. It is a heavy beast, and I'm still debating between upgrading the stock/barrel versus scrapping it for a lighter setup. My preference would be to upgrade the stock now (which seems to be the clear weak link in the chasis) and the barrel later (when more funds and improved skill could justify the purchase), but I'm worried that would result in an unbalanced rifle in the interim. A carbon stock would shed about 1.5 lbs, which seems an odd combination with the stock 20" bull barrel. Are my suspicions correct?

Apollo117

WKR
I won't say don't upgrade the stock and barrel. However, the money it takes to upgrade the stock and barrel could be better spent. You could buy a Tikka for roughly the same cost as a installing a new barrel and stock. Then you'd have two rifles. You could also sell the rifle and put the money from the sale towards a lightweight rifle. Again, a Tikka is a nice factory option.

I suggest a Christensen Mesa. My reasoning is that you likely have already spent about $600 purchasing the Remington. A new barrel and installation is going to cost about $500 at least. A new stock is going to cost about $250 at least. $600 + $500 + $250 = $1350. $1350 is about the price of a Christensen Mesa.

Do you want a cobbled together Franken-gun or a purpose built rifle?

OP
P
Thanks for the reply. Yea, I thought of that. CA Mesa is at the top of my list. I have a friend that wants to buy the 700, so it would only be about $700 to make the switch.

BuckSnort

WKR
You would probably be money and time ahead by just getting another rifle.. Tikka T3 is a good lightweight rifle for the money..

EDIT: I was typing and Apollo117 beat me to the punch lol

slowelk

WKR
Tikka is the best bang for your buck going right now. Sure, the stock is plastic, but they are still 1" or better guns for $700. I say this regularly in this forum, you can't beat their no BS simplicity. Owning a Christensen doesn't kill more animals, and it doesn't make your dick any bigger.

Lawnboi

WKR
I own multiple tikkas and a Mesa and I’d prrsonnaly build off what you have

In the mean time, if you want a lighter gun that bad, or want another gun for if you’re is down getting upgraded a tikka is where I would start and end.

Oops-posted without content-I was just going to add that you guys should look at single break action rifles. They are light and can be broken down in your pack without losing accuracy. Check out CVAs Scout line which has excellent short accurate barrels and good reputation. You can cut your weight to 6.5 lbs, solve the carry issue, and maintain your desire for quality at a very affordable price (half the cost of what you are taking). I will spend a little more on the optics now. There are others that make break actions available-I just landed on this one. I am use to working a break action shotgun and believe I can put a second round in one about as fast as it takes me to work a bolt action.

GOOD THINGS HAPPEN WHERE MEN AND MOUNTAINS MEET—Captain Clark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thank you all for your input.

I know the Tikka T3x is no-nonsense and hard to beat, but call me vain, cause the look and feel of a rifle is important to me. Hence why I'm leaning towards the Mesa as a replacement...

I have a Tikka t3 in 300wsm with a laminate stock which I love—fits into a pack sabber nicely. The laminate stock makes this a smooth accurate elk rifle. It comes in at 9 lbs. Not bad for hiking trails into drainages. But I found it is awkward and a bit heavy climbing mountains in pursuit of high county mule deer and maybe more than needed.

I wouldn’t say you are vain to want a light weight mountain accurate rifle but I don’t think you need to pay more for light weight.

Actually it should cost you fewer dollars for lighter weight but smart companies are marketing to your need. One way of lightening guns is by using expensive materials that don’t take away from the accuracy but another way is to eliminate the some expensive heavier mechanisms (like heavy actions and magazines). And that’s why for around $300 you can get a lighter accurate packable simple break action mountain rifle that will be 5.5 to 6.5 lbs.

GREAT THINGS HAPPEN WHEN MEN AND MOUNTAINS MEET—Captain Clark

wildcat33

WKR
Thank you all for your input.

I know the Tikka T3x is no-nonsense and hard to beat, but call me vain, cause the look and feel of a rifle is important to me. Hence why I'm leaning towards the Mesa as a replacement...

Nothing wrong with wanting a nice piece of equipment. I like tikka as much as the next guy, but they sure are plain.

It just doesn't make sense to build off a remington anymore. If you want a hobby and like dinking around, sure go it. But its not the straight line to a lightweight shooter.