Rifle weight for new Elk hunter

Hello,

I am a new aspiring elk hunter and I am looking to upgrade my rifle as to retire my 7mm Weatherby Vanguard to the safe for my son when he is old enough to hunt. I am a devout Weatherby user and I am very interested in the Mark V line as my brother owns several and I have been in love with them for a while, just have never had the money to justify the purchase until now. I hunt Whitetails in North West Arkansas and some in Western North Carolina, and I am starting to put in for an Elk hunt in NE Wyoming (I have never Elk hunted before but am starting the process). The Elk hunt has me desiring a premier rifle that will be 1. Bomb proof in the weather, 2. Light enough to do an elk hunt every few years, 3. chambered in a .30 caliber so I will be confident a long range if the opportunity presents its self, 4. I also may still use this rifle to Whitetail hunt (I am mostly a bow hunter, so I wont realistically use it too much, also, I still will have my 7mm rem mag). I have settled into the Mark V Weathermark Limited in 300 WBY mag due to how much I love the aesthetics of the spiral fluting, also I have shot this round several times before.

My questions are:

Will this rifle be too heavy to take on an elk hunt every 2-3 years (7.2 lbs bare)? I am unsure about how much trekking my future in elk hunting will entail and I don't buy rifles often so I would like to get this purchase right.

Is the weight saved on the back country model (6.3 lbs bare) significantly noticed when hunting and is my accuracy with the light rifle something I should take into account for if I go with a lighter rifle? I am a longtime prairie dog hunter and am very confident at long range, although this has been with smaller calibers (i.e. 6.5 CM, 22-250, 223 etc) chambered in heavy bench guns.

I will be putting a 1.3lb Zeiss Conquest 6 on the rifle, likely with Zeiss rings. After scoped I have estimated the rifle weighing just under or at 9 lbs.

Thank you for your input!

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of elk hunt....Horseback, Backcountry hiking in, base camp...etc. If you're going to be carrying it on your back, then try your best to have the rifle fully loaded at around 7lbs or less. Weatherby makes an amazing rifle, but their actions are very robust and therefore heavy. The Mark V Backcountry TI would be the route i go, but I'll never get one due to the caliber selection being too Weatherby specific. If i was going to buy an off the shelf rifle that was very light, and under 1K, I would get the Kimber Hunter in 30-06. I already have the 6.5 Kimber Hunter, and my buddy killed an elk last year with it. Or, just get a tikka superlight, which i'm sure someone will chime in with. Best of luck, and don't nuke the thought process and get into the weeds too much..

joker338

FNG
I would say your choice is very average for weight. Once you get over 10lbs I feel it gets a bit obnoxious for hiking. Once you get under 8 on a finished build you are getting pretty lightweight. Optics can really kill your weight, Zeiss, March and Leupold are the names I’ve used for quality and lightweight.

You should take note that if you went some custom or modified approach and started taking ounces off a 300wby you’re going to be rewarded with additional recoil. I know we’re all tough and never flinch, but I’m willing to be you get that sub 7lb mountain rifle in a 300Wby you’re going to shoot it only a couple times and be back to the drawing board.

Last thing to keep in mind is bulk as well as weight. I dislike 50mm obj scopes as being too bulky in the field, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I have hunted and guided elk hunts for many years. I have rifles that weigh less than 7 pounds and rifles that weigh over 10 pounds. I will on 9 out of 10 hunts carry a rifle that weighs in the 9 pound range.

I am also with you in the .30 caliber school for elk.

My 9+ pound rifle doesn’t bother me and neither dies my 50mm scope. It fits fine into my Trailmax scabbard and I can’t see anyone noticing a difference when it’s slung over your shoulder. .30 cal... yep!

Like someone else said don’t worry about pretty. It’s going to get beat up if you’re really out to kill elk. Good luck!

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I was a backpack elk hunter for many years and a rifle that weighs between 7 and 7.5 pounds bare is the right weight for me. I tried ultralight rifles for a while, and while they were a little easier to carry they were harder for me to shoot well in the type of conditions that elk hunting presents.

A few fellows that I know complain about their rifle's weight, but frankly those fellows are a bit out of shape and could stand to lose a few pounds themselves to lighten their load

Unless you plan on doing extended backcountry backpacking for elk you are likely shoot something that isn't a fly-weight better and save some money while you're at it. I have a Barrett Fieldcraft 30-06 that weight 6.5# scoped that is very accurate and I enjoy very much. But if I'm base camp hunting I'm more likely to take my Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen. It nice and stable and steady (and not a pig - its about 7.25 bare rifle). So unless you really think you're going to get into backcountry elk or a sheep or mt. goat bug I'd say if you like that Weatherby you're looking at it will do the job just fine.

OP
slaughter31
What kind of elk hunt....Horseback, Backcountry hiking in, base camp...etc. If you're going to be carrying it on your back, then try your best to have the rifle fully loaded at around 7lbs or less. Weatherby makes an amazing rifle, but their actions are very robust and therefore heavy. The Mark V Backcountry TI would be the route i go, but I'll never get one due to the caliber selection being too Weatherby specific. If i was going to buy an off the shelf rifle that was very light, and under 1K, I would get the Kimber Hunter in 30-06. I already have the 6.5 Kimber Hunter, and my buddy killed an elk last year with it. Or, just get a tikka superlight, which i'm sure someone will chime in with. Best of luck, and don't nuke the thought process and get into the weeds too much..
I believe we may pack in on horse back for my first hunt but my desire to do a DIY in the future is high and see myself packing in on foot and camping. I think it will be a mixture between guided and DIY, and honestly I wont be hunting but every 2-3 years.

Depends on the hunt...I have a 18" Fieldcraft in 308 that's just over 6lbs with a scope, I also have RM700 26" 300WM that just over 8lbs with scope...both have there purpose, depends on the hunt.

OP
slaughter31
I would say your choice is very average for weight. Once you get over 10lbs I feel it gets a bit obnoxious for hiking. Once you get under 8 on a finished build you are getting pretty lightweight. Optics can really kill your weight, Zeiss, March and Leupold are the names I’ve used for quality and lightweight.

You should take note that if you went some custom or modified approach and started taking ounces off a 300wby you’re going to be rewarded with additional recoil. I know we’re all tough and never flinch, but I’m willing to be you get that sub 7lb mountain rifle in a 300Wby you’re going to shoot it only a couple times and be back to the drawing board.

Last thing to keep in mind is bulk as well as weight. I dislike 50mm obj scopes as being too bulky in the field, YMMV.

Honestly I dont know if the 1lb difference in the two rifles will be a big difference since I wont be hunting several times per year. I am a pretty fit guy but not "mountain hunting fit". I like the slightly heavier rifle with a break for that 300 WBY recoil (I have shot an accumark 300 wby quite a few times and with a break it doesn't bother me much).

I am thinking lighter Back country will be a little more aggressive, even with a break?

I have chosen the Zeiss as its the lightest in the catagory of what I want and a little more in my price range but still top tier glass. (comparing swaro, vortex, NF, leupold).

LightFoot

WKR
The Weather Mark LT is the sleeper rifle in that line. 7.2 lbs is not too heavy at all for that caliber.
I agree with this ^^^^

Also, be sure to invest is quality rings/base. The 300 Wby is intense in recoil especially on a light rifle. I expect the Zeiss will hold up just fine.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
slaughter31
The Weather Mark LT is the sleeper rifle in that line. 7.2 lbs is not too heavy at all for that caliber.
For sure, and I would be all over that rifle but I cant deny my love for the spiral fluting and it only comes on the limited...and the limited is the same weight. Man, I wish I didn't care about looks, it would save me $400. I wont be hunting that often so I am more apt to get the rifle I like the aesthetics of as well, not really being concerned that I am going to beat the crap out of it.

joker338

FNG
Honestly I dont know if the 1lb difference in the two rifles will be a big difference since I wont be hunting several times per year. I am a pretty fit guy but not "mountain hunting fit". I like the slightly heavier rifle with a break for that 300 WBY recoil (I have shot an accumark 300 wby quite a few times and with a break it doesn't bother me much).

I am thinking lighter Back country will be a little more aggressive, even with a break?

I have chosen the Zeiss as its the lightest in the catagory of what I want and a little more in my price range but still top tier glass. (comparing swaro, vortex, NF, leupold).

A brake will go a long way on taming your recoil, and also blow your ears out. I built a very lightweight 358/300 WSM and did not want a brake to avoid the hearing issue. Not that you should shoot a rifle without hearing protection but shooting a braked rifle is an absolute no in my book.

Anyway, long story short the recoil was so terrible I had to put a brake on it. I think you’re initial pick sounds great. I packed a 10lb rifle this year, Ive packed lighter and heavier, but 8-9lbs is a good compromise. Just get a good butler creek neoprene sling and you’re set.

Bumpr1080

FNG
It seems like you're fairly set in your decisions already. But my $.02 would be to carry the rifle you can carry, but its more important that you have confidence and skill with your rifle than how much it weighs.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I wouldn't even buy a new rifle. You have one you like, and it will kill elk no problem. Just seems like a lot of mental anguish to put yourself through, as well as the time spent getting it set up. Spend that time getting in shape. Boots kill elk long before bullets do.

JakeSCH

WKR
I agree with others have said. The light weight rifle is a rabbit hole that is not needed unless you are doing true mountain / sheep hunting. For elk I am happy with my 9 lb 300 WM that is extremely comfortable to shoot.

This last year I added a gunbearer to my pack and the weight became a non-issue, and it is significantly cheaper than a new rifle. Barely notice a difference between my 7 lb and 9 lb rifles.

I like to shoot my hunting rifles too. So I want something comfortable to shoot, something I can shoot well, and something that isn’t going to be annoying/dangerous to shoot (for me and those around me). For me that rules out brakes and light weight rifles. Any weight between 8-10lbs is fine for hunting and packing. I’d go a lbs over 10 before I went a lbs under 8 if I went outside that range. Like one person said, I’d work harder to find a way to carry it comfortably than I would to reduce the weight.

I have Elk hunted for 20 + yrs with a 300 RUM with a 3-18 50 mm scope that weighs in the 9 lbs range.
I have hiked 50 miles per week and never felt it weighed too much. The other issue you need to understand with a 300 Weatherby is the lighter the rifle the more the perceived and actual recoil. In my opinion any
rifle in the 9 -10 lb range is good for Elk hunting.