Riflescope Help

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Only downside is some of the optics I was looking at don't come in that lower range. Trijicon makes a 2.5-12.5 which might cover all the bases.

OP
After looking a ton more...I am leaning (again for 30-06) on the NXS 2-10x 42...

Does anyone have anything negative to say about this scope? Maybe downsides to this decision? Seems to have great eye relief and durability...good glass but maybe not excellent...thoughts?

After looking a ton more...I am leaning (again for 30-06) on the NXS 2-10x 42...

Does anyone have anything negative to say about this scope? Maybe downsides to this decision? Seems to have great eye relief and durability...good glass but maybe not excellent...thoughts?
Only down side is right now depending on reticle they are out of stock in a lot of places but no can't think of any down side to them.

The downside is that it’s SFP.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In all reality I’m not quite sure. I’d love to be proficient with both. Maybe it’s being a bowhunter for so long but the idea of using the reticle for holdover makes a lot of sense right now. Maybe this will change as comfort behind the scope increases but dialing under pressure right now seems overwhelming.
Being a proficient bowhunter you’re going to be able to get in close and limit long range shots. I’d practice with just the reticle for holdover and work your way towards dialing with more practice.

In using the reticle for hold over and minor wind I’d highly recommend a first focal plane over second focal plane scope like the NXS you mentioned.

Considering your budget and options I’d jump on this in stock SHV first focal plane with moa reticle.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Damn you guys I was set on what scopes I was looking at now you throw in NF.

How does the SHV stack up to say a trijicon, ziess, nxs 2-10? New to hunting so magnification is a rabbit hole I’ve been going down.

I can get a credo HX, conquest V4, and SHV around the same price. But unsure about magnification. I’m in Colorado so I can be in open plains or more wooded areas.

I’ll be putting is on a Bergara 300 WM and the rifle is already on the heavier side (9lbs). So keeping the optic weight down would be nice but I would suck it up if the optic was worth the extra weight.

I'm in a similar situation. Specifically interested in the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 for Elk to 600 yds and targets a little further (I prefer SFP and MOA). I would be dialing past 250. The extra magnification and capped windage on the Credo HX would be great (if the durability is good).

Anyone have experience with these and willing to offer your opinion?

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar situation. Specifically interested in the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 for Elk to 600 yds and targets a little further (I prefer SFP and MOA). I would be dialing past 250. The extra magnification and capped windage on the Credo HX would be great (if the durability is good).

Anyone have experience with these and willing to offer your opinion?
What has me second guessing the higher magnification is SFP and multiple people saying “I take elk/deer at 500 yards with x9” everyone’s results vary but I don’t want extra magnification if I don’t need it and can dial to max so I can use the reticle.

HuntHigh

FNG
All of those are good scopes. The Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 is the lightest and least expensive. That would be my vote.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
All of those are good scopes. The Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 is the lightest and least expensive. That would be my vote.
I was originally going to go with a VX5 but after some reading it seems vortex/leupold are hit or miss or quality and longevity.

HuntHigh

FNG
I was originally going to go with a VX5 but after some reading it seems vortex/leupold are hit or miss or quality and longevity.
Never had a vortex but have had Leupolds since I was 12. I'm 52 now. Never had an issue with one of their rifle scopes. I did have to send in a pair of their bino's once and they sent a brand new pair back right a way. Ziess has a top notch warranty also. I've sent Zeiss 2 spottings in and they quickly fixed them perfectly.

Do you have any friends with a few of these you could shoot? Lots of good choices these days.

Antares

WKR
The downside is that it’s SFP.

It's not always a downside. It depends what you want to do. I have SPF NF optics. I hunt around a lot of bears and it's typically dark and rainy. A wide FOV (low magnification) and a FAT reticle is a good combo if you're getting up close and personal with bears in the brush.

Last edited:
OP
After talking to a few people directly I think I am going to go with the NXS in MOA. I just dont see myself needing the extended magnification, especially for what I hunt. Too many people who have killed a bunch say its an outstanding scope and incredibly reliable, which is what I want. I love the idea of 2.5 on the bottom end and I'm fine with 10 on the top end. In reality, I just don't think I'll be shooting far enough out there to need more than 10.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
After talking to a few people directly I think I am going to go with the NXS in MOA. I just dont see myself needing the extended magnification, especially for what I hunt. Too many people who have killed a bunch say its an outstanding scope and incredibly reliable, which is what I want. I love the idea of 2.5 on the bottom end and I'm fine with 10 on the top end. In reality, I just don't think I'll be shooting far enough out there to need more than 10.
How far are you expecting to shoot?

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
As close as possible to realistically 400yds
Hmmm the guys I have talked to who hunt around d here have told me so many different things. I asked them what range is average for elk and deer and they have said they have taken animals from 70 yards all the way out to 600. I’m limiting myself to 500 yards. The older guy who took an elk at 600 said “I would definitely want x16 minimum” but I think he has older eyes and old school mentality.