Right misses

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
OK Im still very new to trad. I'm shooting a 45lb @28 ( I thjnk pulling right around 28) rh OMP smoky mountain hunter 500 beman centershot with regular inserts and 100 grain tips. I've been pretty militant in shooting with proper form and making sure im making good shots. I Shot compound previously so I know the importance of starting off right and avoiding bad habits.
Anyway- I obviously still have a lot of errant shots but my most consistent misses are to the right. I'm having a hard time diagnosing what I'm doing wrong I THINK I narrowed it down to my head being tilted in towards the string (which I would have guessed would have made me miss left) or I'm pushing too hard into my anchor. Any experience with this?

Front shoulder collapsing/peeking is definitely the biggest culprit for right misses with a trad bow. if you collapse on the back side you're likely to get some left misses.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Front shoulder collapsing/peeking is definitely the biggest culprit for right misses with a trad bow. if you collapse on the back side you're likely to get some left misses.
Can you describe what happens when the front shoulder collapses? Does it mean I'm not getting/keeping it down?
Thanks

Can you describe what happens when the front shoulder collapses? Does it mean I'm not getting/keeping it down?
Thanks
There are multiple ways it can collapse, one would be that the shoulder blade rolls up (not getting it down), another is when you move your bow out of the way to see the arrow flight. Aka peeking.

I agree it’s usually the bow arm. I’d suggest “sinking “ your bow shoulder low into the socket, to where you feel it really engage your lats. That arm should be a solid beam, framed into your body. If you feel your traps engaging, your bow arm is too high and will be unstable.

The second part of that is not dropping your bow arm after the shot. I’m so guilty of this one.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I think ny front shoulder collapsing is a big part of it. It's much more difficult to keep it in place than with a compound so even though i set it in the right spot it wants to creep up. Here are my best 2 2 shot groups of the afternoon, probably shot 40ish arrows total somewhere between 18 and 20 yards. Obviously they weren't all like that- but it sure is fun when it comes together on those!

Attachments

• 20200413_151248.jpg
    20200413_151248.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200413_150528.jpg
    20200413_150528.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 17

Beendare

WKR
Im a lefty and miss right Consistently on my first couple shots. And I know it’s because I’m collapsing a little bit or I don’t come to a strong anchor.

So for me a stiff arrow goes right. When I draw without warming up my bow arm elbow feels a little squishy. This is what’s happened to me on the first two shots of the cold bug challenge.

this challenge is going to help me develop a routine for a better cold shot, I need it. This is the reason I typically shoot a few shots in the morning on a hunt going out because I know my first shot with a recurve sucks.

The worst part of the challenge is I have to live with these crummy shots for a week until I can start shooting again and remedy it.

Last edited:
Beendare, I found that a slightly weaker arrow fixed that issue for me. I still work to get my shot perfect, but a bit of arrow paradox does wonders for forgiveness. I have to thank Dan Toelke for that advice.

Im a lefty and miss right Consistently on my first couple shots. And I know it’s because I’m collapsing a little bit or I don’t come to a strong anchor.

So for me a stiff arrow goes right. When I draw without warming up my bow arm elbow feels a little squishy. This is what’s happened to me on the first two shots of the cold bug challenge.

this challenge is going to help me develop a routine for a better cold shot, I need it. This is the reason I typically shoot a few shots in the morning on a hunt going out because I know my first shot with a recurve sucks.

The worst part of the challenge is I have to live with these crummy shots for a week until I can start shooting again and remedy it.
It’s my first time doing the challenge...I have way too much goin on in my head when I draw back to shoot. I try to stick to my process but there is always a little devil back there telling me to aim a little more instead of focusing on that back tension. Speaking of cold shots, do you shoot before you go out hunting? Or do you just draw a couple times? Or take a practice shot on a stump or something? If I remember right you shoot an ILF set up, do you ou leave yours strung up most of the time? The reason I ask is the first shot through mine definitely has a different “settling in” sound to it. Shoots the same but definitely sounds different. Even after I pluck the string a few times to try to get the limbs to set in well.
Sorry to sidetrack this a bit, just a couple things I thought of. This will be my first year hunting with trad.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to update this as well, In addition to keeping my front shoulder in the right position a HUGE part of it was from me canting the bow. I've been working on the Tom Clum open stance which had me rounding my back and adding a cant to my shot. Once I straightened up I was drilling shots today, best I've shot so far- it was so much fun.

Beendare

WKR
Beendare, I found that a slightly weaker arrow fixed that issue for me. I still work to get my shot perfect, but a bit of arrow paradox does wonders for forgiveness. I have to thank Dan Toelke for that advice.

Thanks for the tip! I've tried heavier tip weight/lighter spine but it doesn't bare shaft tune.

My problem is just the first couple cold shots. I'm not getting a full expansion until warmed up. I think I solved it....using one of those bands and a couple specific exercises and stretches.

______

When I collapse or drop my bow arm, I shoot to the right. When I focus on follow through and clean release, they fly true.

Swampwalker

FNG
Classified Approved
Been shooting trad for a number of years. And I stiil have to work on the same fundamentals. You never outgrow the need to reset and focus. Not like shooting with wheels.

OK Im still very new to trad. I'm shooting a 45lb @28 ( I thjnk pulling right around 28) rh OMP smoky mountain hunter 500 beman centershot with regular inserts and 100 grain tips. I've been pretty militant in shooting with proper form and making sure im making good shots. I Shot compound previously so I know the importance of starting off right and avoiding bad habits.
Anyway- I obviously still have a lot of errant shots but my most consistent misses are to the right. I'm having a hard time diagnosing what I'm doing wrong I THINK I narrowed it down to my head being tilted in towards the string (which I would have guessed would have made me miss left) or I'm pushing too hard into my anchor. Any experience with this?
Are you confident that 500 spine arrow is correct? How does a 600 spine shoot?

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Are you confident that 500 spine arrow is correct? How does a 600 spine shoot?
I'm pretty confident, when I do what I'm supposed to I'm amazed at the accuracy and groups. Ive shot some longer 400 black eagles with extra weight up front that flew ok too.