Rimfire Training Rifle?

Does anyone use a training rifle to reserve higher priced hunting ammo and to help focus on shooting fundamentals? I’ve always shot a couple rounds out of my Savage Mark II just to get focused but curious if anyone else does anything similar. For those who do how similar is your training rifle to your hunting rifle?

Yep. I like to train on my 22lr. Both of my rifles are in similar chassis setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regularly practice with my Tikka T1X in 17 HMR. This includes trying new shot positions, shooting to 300 yards, and just working the fundamentals. It’s topped with a Razor LH.

The biggest difference between the T1X and T3X is a shorter throw.

Folks also practice with a 223 which works also.

Biggest benefit of similar rifles is muscle memory.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a bolt action 22 I like to shoot and hunt with. I don’t know if I’d call it training but I like shooting it.

CHSD

WKR
Yup. I shoot a Tikka T1x and shoot a T3 for hunting. I like to shoot my .22 way more than my hunting rifles as I can shoot for hours for less money. I'd suggest getting into 22nrl or some sort of competition to help build skills.

I picked up a .17 and while it is not identicle to my hunting rifles it does a great job for working on trigger pull and follow through.

LostArra

WKR
Not rimfire but my Weirauch HW 95 break barrel air rifle is a great economic trainer. And you can shoot it off the back porch.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I just got done with the long range shooting school out to 1200 yards, During the course they asked what was the furthest range I had access to, I informed them 200 yards they recommended using a 22lr for practice dialing and holding for wind specifically a savage mark 2. I’m gonna give it a try

Maki35

WKR
I practice with smaller caliber rifles as well, because it's cheaper than my hunting round.
I shoot .22 and 7.62x39 for practice & fun.
But I'm looking to pass down the .22 to my kids and pick up a .223 bolt action.

Last edited:

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently looking into either a Rimx or Vudoo barreled action with proof barrel to be an identical match to my hunting setup.