Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

Stumbled across this Facebook page today from Steven Rinella's brother, Matt.

If the above link doesn't work, just search for 'Rinella DDD' on Facebook.

For those of you without a Facebook, the guts are below:

Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize
Are you tired of hearing how hunter numbers are declining only to find your spots more crowded than ever, your draw odds dwindling and no mature deer and elk? Contrary to profit-motivated voices in the hunting industry, hunter numbers have increased since the 1960s throughout most the U.S. and continued to increase in the last decade in western and southeastern states. Where numbers declined, it’s because urban development and hunting leases reduced huntable acres.
One cause of the ever-increasing hunting pressure is people hunting for the wrong reasons. A small group of hunters are starting a movement called Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize (DDD). DDD hunters work for public access and habitat and against self-promoting impulses and profit-driven forces that send people afield for the wrong reasons. Here’s what DDD hunters believe and advocate.

Depublicize. Hunters are using social media to post dead animal pictures and videos to massive audiences. This bragging about dead animals increases antihunting sentiment. Hunters that post “trophy” animals value advertising their accomplishments over maintaining political environments favorable to hunting. Also, posting increases hunting hype and pressure. Hunters that post value boasting over maintaining uncrowded, quality hunting experiences. Most importantly, many self-promotors value the pictures they brag about over the meat from their hunts…In other words, they hunt for the wrong reasons. Hunting is a personal thing. It’s about seeing, not about being seen. DDD hunters believe dead animal posts harm public land hunting. We strive to make posting taboo to discourage self-promotors from hunting.

Deglorify. Hunting shows glorify hunting. Wounded animals go unrecovered during filming, and that footage is rarely shown, so the sorrowful side of hunting is hidden. Also hidden are filming locations, which are typically private lands, remote lands requiring cost-prohibitive travel, lands requiring expensive tag lotteries, and secret spots of the host’s fans. As such, success rates well exceed what beginners should expect on heavily hunted public land. In short, hunting shows idealize hunting, which attracts people to hunting on false premises and increases pressure. DDD hunters work to educate people that what’s on TVs and computer screens is not real public land hunting. Hunting is about solitude, freedom and acquiring food by one’s wits. Cameras and film crews violate the true spirit of hunting.

Demonetize. Nonhunters that are interested in hunting are a key target audience for the hunting industry. When glitzy ad campaigns and corporate-sponsored hunters convince hunting-curious nonhunters to hunt, it opens major sales opportunities, because new hunters lack gear and need how-to content. We believe considerations of profit should play no role in inspiring people to hunt.

Selfishly, a part of me wishes this would gain some traction....

Thoughts?

ODB

WKR
Don't do facebook - so asking for context...

WHO posted this on facebook?

Is DDD a real org?

They are targeting Rinella to reduce hunting exposure?

Does DDD list names of members/stakeholders?

Help a brother out...

Wellsdw

WKR
A lot of what he said is valid, western hunting especially is misrepresented to those whom have never been out west and want to go

Reactions: 406
Seems to me a fad has developed. The more new people I see in my areas, typically wearing what looks like a brand new gucci outfit, it is usually the regulars you see more than once or every year consistently. Most of the new guys Ive seen out on the beaten path are still staying relatively close to the road/trailhead and it is rare to see them twice. I see almost nobody new once the weather turns. I think for alot of folks once the hardship sets in or fear of big country, mostly stick close to the main roads and dont get too far out of their comfort zone. Just what Ive seen hunting aroung the big hole...There certainly is more people than ever though, it doesnt seem harvest rates have changed much around here anyway.

Don't do facebook - so asking for context...

WHO posted this on facebook?

Is DDD a real org?

They are targeting Rinella to reduce hunting exposure?

Does DDD list names of members/stakeholders?

Help a brother out...
Looked over the page for a couple mins. Here is what I got.

-One of Steve Rinellas brothers. I think his name is Matt.

-Doesn't look like an official org to me. Just a "movement"?

-I don't think so.

-No

ODB

WKR
A bit confused too. So Matt is coming out against his brother Steve, whom became famous and wealthy from hunting shows, pictures, endorsements, etc?

Steve has said many times that Matt is not all that enamored with the meateater exposure. Even though he had been on the show.

I don’t know Matt, but I think he is very much against hunting becoming more of a “thing” and the hoards that follow - or are following.

EastMT

WKR
I’m not an Instagram hunter, if I’m having fun and enjoying it, want some meat, I’m shooting it even if it’s a forky.

That being said, if I drop a world record, I’m monetizing the sh%t out of that thing. I wouldn’t want an item just waiting to be stolen hanging on my wall, make me a replica and write me a check so I can go hunting again.

I’m gonna be holding up X brand rifle with the sticker on the stock, Branded hat, box of federal ammo in the foreground, Leupold scope cover, cashing checks.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Somebody should get this guy on a podcast. Seems like an odd duck but he raises some pretty good points. His movement will never catch on but I really enjoy hearing a good debate on issues to really challenge my thoughts. Being Rinellas brother I'd like to hear some reasoning behind all of this. Could he just be jealous of the expanding success of meateater?

ODB

WKR
Somebody should get this guy on a podcast. Seems like an odd duck but he raises some pretty good points. His movement will never catch on but I really enjoy hearing a good debate on issues to really challenge my thoughts. Being Rinellas brother I'd like to hear some reasoning behind all of this. Could he just be jealous of the expanding success of meateater?

I don’t think so. He’s questioned before the wisdom in doing things that crowd the trailhead.