Rodent ate my Schnees last night, beware!

PXL_20220827_202504951.jpg
Thought I'd post this to keep someone else from experiencing the same thing. I had them on the ground inside my tent vestibule since they were wet and it was raining all night. Heard what I thought was a rodent outside the tent in the middle of the night but didn't think much of it. Woke up to the soft leather tongue of one of my Beartooths eaten up. Was at 11,200 ft in Colorado. I think they will probably be fine to use for the rest of the season, just not as waterproof as they once were. I guess boots stay inside the tent from now on.

Sled

WKR
I had a sleepless night with a field mouse eating the tongue of some Crispi boots. I threw sticks, rocks and tried to deadfall that little PITA. Turned out I was covering his hole so even after the boots were moved he still ran across my tarp and my chest all night. I was pretty spent the next day chasing elk.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I have had them eat a hole through my boot inside the garage. Now all my good boots go in a tub with lid under the shop bench

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Note to self, bring mouse traps on next hunt! Sorry to hear about the boots, but good luck out there!

View attachment 445453
Thought I'd post this to keep someone else from experiencing the same thing. I had them on the ground inside my tent vestibule since they were wet and it was raining all night. Heard what I thought was a rodent outside the tent in the middle of the night but didn't think much of it. Woke up to the soft leather tongue of one of my Beartooths eaten up. Was at 11,200 ft in Colorado. I think they will probably be fine to use for the rest of the season, just not as waterproof as they once were. I guess boots stay inside the tent from now on.
Damn! Sorry that happened… little bastard

Last spring or the spring before I was in the blue mountains chasing merriams, most of that trip was nice weather, clear, high 20’s at night, so I was sleeping in the bed of my pickup, one night I was having trouble sleeping because every time I would start dozing off, I would hear a big rodent crawling around under my pickup and chewing on stuff… I was pretty paranoid about wires getting chewed… not sure if I ran it off or just finally got tired enough to sleep through it

A few years ago, simms G3 waders we’re on sale, I didn’t need them at the time, but knew I would soon, so I bought them… a few months later I went to get them out of my shop (hanging) and both thighs on the back side had big 8-10” holes eaten from them… I think that was rats though… I declared war on them… think I got them all in the following weeks

I get paranoid over east when turkey hunting over there, they don’t mess with stuff much on the coast, but in the blues, there are a lot more rodents that seem hungry and cold… the stories of them chewing up wiring on vehicles is what really makes me nervous… not just getting stranded, but the pain in the ass of getting it fixed…or catching my pickup on fire at a later date from chewed wiring

Some people leave their hoods cracked, apparently that keeps them out of the engine compartment, but that carries it’s own potential problems

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
Last spring or the spring before I was in the blue mountains chasing merriams, most of that trip was nice weather, clear, high 20’s at night, so I was sleeping in the bed of my pickup, one night I was having trouble sleeping because every time I would start dozing off, I would hear a big rodent crawling around under my pickup and chewing on stuff… I was pretty paranoid about wires getting chewed… not sure if I ran it off or just finally got tired enough to sleep through it

A few years ago, simms G3 waders we’re on sale, I didn’t need them at the time, but knew I would soon, so I bought them… a few months later I went to get them out of my shop (hanging) and both thighs on the back side had big 8-10” holes eaten from them… I think that was rats though… I declared war on them… think I got them all in the following weeks

I get paranoid over east when turkey hunting over there, they don’t mess with stuff much on the coast, but in the blues, there are a lot more rodents that seem hungry and cold… the stories of them chewing up wiring on vehicles is what really makes me nervous… not just getting stranded, but the pain in the ass of getting it fixed…or catching my pickup on fire at a later date from chewed wiring

Some people leave their hoods cracked, apparently that keeps them out of the engine compartment, but that carries it’s own potential problems

Some wiring has coatings made from vegetable oils. Not good if you have rodents. I've replaced wires on my sxs from those turds.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Dang! That sucks! Thanks for the warning, I usually keep mine in the vestibule but will have to make room in my tent from now on.

Wrench

WKR
I had a sleepless night with a field mouse eating the tongue of some Crispi boots. I threw sticks, rocks and tried to deadfall that little PITA. Turned out I was covering his hole so even after the boots were moved he still ran across my tarp and my chest all night. I was pretty spent the next day chasing elk.
Done this too. Sumbitches would walk on my face.

Now I only pitch tents near wolf dens. I sleep better.

OP
williammunny
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one!