Put Some Thought into your first aid kit

Pdzoller

WKR
I just did a re-stock and upgrade on my first aid kits. My number one priority is prevention. I always have and use a pair of cut resistant gloves when doing anything that could cause injury.

My wife is a veterinary student and taylor made my kits. So needless to say, I might be over prepared.

When I was doing an inventory and trying to think of things to upgrade or add. I ran countless scenarios through my head. I decided to pick up a really light set of needle nose, a small laceration kit, a tweezer kit, superglue and an emergency pack for the dog.

rideold

WKR
I think a hugely overlooked item is a bottle of betadine. Getting a cut to stop bleeding with quick clot or a tourniquet is great, but getting the wound clean is hugely beneficial.
There was a good Meat Eater podcast with an ER doc a while back and he said any potable water is more than sufficient for irrigating a wound in the field. I've never thought of carrying betadine but I do carry an irrigation syringe.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
There was a good Meat Eater podcast with an ER doc a while back and he said any potable water is more than sufficient for irrigating a wound in the field. I've never thought of carrying betadine but I do carry an irrigation syringe.
That's good to hear. I've always heard poke a hole in a glove or a bag with a safety pin for eye & small cut irrigation.

ozyclint

WKR
I recently got a treble hook deep in my finger. It was a 'quit fishing, drive home and cut it out job'.

Luckily I had a syringe, needle and local anesthetic in my home 1st aid kit. I was able to cut it out no problem.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Glad the OP made it out ok, everyone earns an experience like that or worse if you keep at it long enough.

Not to be overlooked…wound packing gauze.
1710274096728.jpeg

Also not to be overlooked…common sense knife handling: keep it out of the triangle between your “plumbing” and knees.
1710274222766.jpeg

Things get real in a hurry out there 😉

Last edited:

drdrop

FNG
There's a lot of emphasis on gear on this thread. The best thought I've ever put into my first aid kit is from having purchased Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) courses. The shorter, weekend-duration WFA course is excellent for going through how to build/improvise an effective first aid kit. However the real value is knowing how to approach/assess a first aid response situation and make appropriate decisions far from 'second aid' as was previously brought up.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered quick clot and Israeli bandage, I have to order right away otherwuse for some reason it never gets in the truck or backpack 😉

BowBaboon

FNG
There's a lot of emphasis on gear on this thread. The best thought I've ever put into my first aid kit is from having purchased Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) courses. The shorter, weekend-duration WFA course is excellent for going through how to build/improvise an effective first aid kit. However the real value is knowing how to approach/assess a first aid response situation and make appropriate decisions far from 'second aid' as was previously brought up.
I don't think this can be emphasized enough. I've spent a good amount of time guiding in backcountry scenarios and have seen my fair share of accidents. Without my training, I can think of at least one situation where someone wouldn't have made it out alive, and it didn't come down to a tourniquet or any amount of gauze.

fwafwow

WKR
I don't think this can be emphasized enough. I've spent a good amount of time guiding in backcountry scenarios and have seen my fair share of accidents. Without my training, I can think of at least one situation where someone wouldn't have made it out alive, and it didn't come down to a tourniquet or any amount of gauze.
I think they go hand in hand. Training is critical. And in some situations the gear can be too, but having amazing gear won’t make up for not having the knowledge of when and how to use it.

Thanks for the post. It's helpful to hear these stories to remind me that stuff can happen anytime, anywhere and to have a plan for when it does. Because something WILL eventually happen if you spend enough time in the outdoors.

Okhotnik

WKR
I had an accident force me to leave after packing in a bunch of water on a hunt in AZ. I jumped into some tall grass off a dead fall and landed on a large dead branch, it flipped up and smacked me upside the head like if you were to jump onto a shovel.

About knocked me out, a minute or two later I felt the blood running down my neck, had to use my phone to assess the damage and had basically split the top of my ear in half.

I had zero first aid with me! STUPID!

Had to dump out the 3 gallons of water I just specifically humped in 5 miles, pack my gear and hump it back to my Jeep where I had a "kit".

Fortunately nothing major with the ear, just more ego damage than anything.

Once home and bought a couple kits to combine things so I have a solid kit in the jeep and the packs!
I learned years ago to walk over deadfalls, large rocks carefully. I never jump off or over objects unless I absolutely have to. I will typically walk around deadfalls if I can especially with a heavy pack. screwed my knees up too many times. lol. always carry eye wash, isreaili bandages, big roll of gauze, anti biotic ointment, lots of vet wrap, , tweezers, tourniquet, medical staple kit. if you end up cutting yourself or if your buddy does put heavy pressure on the wound. its going to hurt . And of course when cutting , always always move knife away from any body part no matter how awkward.

i do carry a suture kit i can sew up someone and also crazy glue if it’s not super deep and butterfly stitches work well on deep cuts also