Rokcast bear charge episode

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else listen to this one? Kind of wondering what other member’s opinions on grizzly becoming more bold around the Yellowstone region or the glacier region for that matter.

MM

I listened to it. I live in Alabama so I have no idea about the grizzlies. Sounds like it was good that guy was prepared and reacted quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Anyone else listen to this one? Kind of wondering what other member’s opinions on grizzly becoming more bold around the Yellowstone region or the glacier region for that matter.

MM
I haven't listened to the Podcast but I live outside Yellowstone in WY and can tell you, I don't think they are becoming more bold, I just think there are so many of them that encounters are way up. The fact that there are so many means that the percentage of more aggressive bears, the one out of ten who will attack instead of run away, increase with the population.

For example, I hunted 8 days total in the Yellowstone area around my house and saw 8 different bears (this includes cubs that were with sows).

In one of those encounters I was charged.

I don't know the guys, but one bear attacked a guy that was with a group of other hunters and the bear ripped his thumb off. He was helicoptered out and the bear was shot off of him while he was being mauled. Pretty sure game and fish shot the cubs at a later time.

There is at least one mauling a year in my immediate area, sometimes more and who knows how many charges and how many guys kill charging bears and never report it. I'm not condoning that, it's just probable.

I'm no expert on the topic and I'm new to the area, but I know alot of people who have been here a long time. 10 years ago they knew we had more bears then just about anywhere. Now it's just insanity.

I don't hunt this area alone anymore. If I have no one to to hunt with I don't go, or I road hunt, which I don't like, but it's better then sitting home.

I'll have to give the podcast a listen and check back in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk