Rokslide Special 223 recipe

TheCougar

WKR
Gents, I just picked up a T3x SS in 223 1:8 for practice and predator hunting. I have a buddy who has a reloading set up, and I was going to try and learn a bit before I invest in the gear. Finding 77TMK ammunition is tough, and expensive. The whole point is to be able to shoot for cheaper than my other rifles. I’m looking for a tried and true recipe that these rifles like, with components that are priced reasonably, if able. I’ve heard some good things about the 77TMK. Assume I know nothing about reloading. I am hoping to get all the information I need to purchase the components, take it to my buddy’s house and we can build to spec. Assuming recycled brass, what are you paying per round, assuming I can get the 77TMK around $.40 per bullet? Thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
I basically put 23 grains of xbr in a case with a 75-77 and shoot.

Brass: even higher priced stuff becomes next to nothing after 10 firings
Primer: no reason you can’t find cci 450 for 70$/1k
Powder: your looking at 300 rounds/1lb

Tmk is a great killing bullet and there is merit in loading it for practice, but they are expensive. Can be had now for 34 cents a piece though.

If I were you I’d buy a bunch of 73 eldm to practice with and learn reloading. They are cheaper and have similar BC. 75 bthp by Hornady are cheap too, and 77 smk seem to be an alright practice bullet if you don’t mind paying the premium.

As for brass, honestly I’d start with something decent thats been only fired in your chamber, it will save you headaches.

The good news is everything we need to make a tmk loaded round with the preferred powder is available.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I basically put 23 grains of xbr in a case with a 75-77 and shoot.

Brass: even higher priced stuff becomes next to nothing after 10 firings
Primer: no reason you can’t find cci 450 for 70$/1k
Powder: your looking at 300 rounds/1lb

Tmk is a great killing bullet and there is merit in loading it for practice, but they are expensive. Can be had now for 34 cents a piece though.

If I were you I’d buy a bunch of 73 eldm to practice with and learn reloading. They are cheaper and have similar BC. 75 bthp by Hornady are cheap too, and 77 smk seem to be an alright practice bullet if you don’t mind paying the ipremium.

As for brass, honestly I’d start with something decent thats been only fired in your chamber, it will save you headaches.

The good news is everything we need to make a tmk loaded round with the preferred powder is available.
That’s perfect, thanks. I am bullet agnostic - just looking for the cheapest, accurate bullet that Tikkas like. I’ve had good experience with the ELDMs in my other Tikkas, so I may start there. They are cheaper, and I won’t be shooting big game with them.

Agree w/ what Lawnboi said above.

Cheaper yet and possibly even easier to load would be leverrevolution or Tac powder but they will be a little less temp stable.

XBR on ammoseek is $48/#
Tac/Lever is $31/#

Before shipping/tax/hazmat that puts you at around 12 cents per round w/ 25ish grains of tac/lever and 16 cents ea for XBR (using Lawnboi's 300 rds per lb).

You can save 10 cents per bullet by using 73 ELDs.

73 ELD: 24 cents per round
Tac/lever:12 cents per round
Primer: 8 cents per round

Total is 44 cents per round without hazmat/tax/shipping added if ordered online and assuming you repurpose factory brass.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
We are also in a good time for reloading again. Free hazmat/shipping, discounts on basically everything are out there. A smart shopper could easily find powder for sub $40 a pound, discounted bullets and sub 70$ bricks of primers. I’d stock up, don’t have to go crazy but it’s a good time to buy.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Agree w/ what Lawnboi said above.

Cheaper yet and possibly even easier to load would be leverrevolution or Tac powder but they will be a little less temp stable.

XBR on ammoseek is $48/#
Tac/Lever is $31/#

Before shipping/tax/hazmat that puts you at around 12 cents per round w/ 25ish grains of tac/lever and 16 cents ea for XBR (using Lawnboi's 300 rds per lb).

You can save 10 cents per bullet by using 73 ELDs.

73 ELD: 24 cents per round
Tac/lever:12 cents per round
Primer: 8 cents per round

Total is 44 cents per round without hazmat/tax/shipping added if ordered online and assuming you repurpose factory brass.
That’s awesome. What brass do you recommend?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
We are also in a good time for reloading again. Free hazmat/shipping, discounts on basically everything are out there. A smart shopper could easily find powder for sub $40 a pound, discounted bullets and sub 70$ bricks of primers. I’d stock up, don’t have to go crazy but it’s a good time to buy.
I’ve got a buddy with some rudimentary equipment. I’m going to learn a bit, see how they shoot. If I can make passable ammo, I’ll go all-in. Right now it’s about $1.70 every trigger pull on my cheapest rifle using Hornady precision hunter ammo. I’m shooting through my bank account, and not really getting that much trigger time. I’ve been using a 6.5CM for most practice, but trying to save money by spending money on a 223 and trying reloading.

That’s awesome. What brass do you recommend?

I always like to start with good brass if possible.. Lapua is nice but i've had ADI brass in Austrailian outback factory ammo that was every bit as nice.

I'd recommend buying a couple cases of ADI 55 SBK or 69 SMK (the last batch of 55 SBK shot better in my tikka than the 69s) and repurposing the brass when done. For whatever reason the latest brass hasn't seemed as good as the prior ADI stuff used in aussie outback ammo sold in the same packs through global ordnance but it still seems sufficient.

I have lots of powder/primers/bullets/brass for 223 but find my time more valuable than the savings over using the ADI factory ammo @ 60-70 cents/ea or Hornady eldm factory at roughly $1/ea frequently. My tune would possibly change if I had a progressive press (to load faster) or if my home range was longer than 200 yards.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve got a buddy with some rudimentary equipment. I’m going to learn a bit, see how they shoot. If I can make passable ammo, I’ll go all-in. Right now it’s about $1.70 every trigger pull on my cheapest rifle using Hornady precision hunter ammo. I’m shooting through my bank account, and not really getting that much trigger time. I’ve been using a 6.5CM for most practice, but trying to save money by spending money on a 223 and trying reloading.
One of the biggest positives to reloading is being able to buy same lot components in bulk. Saves time and ammo adjusting and checking, so you can spend more time actually shooting.

I’m not financially able to buy a barrels worth of factory premium ammo, but an 8lb keg of powder, brick of primers and 1k same lot bullets is attainable. That’s why I started reloading.

I would do just as @wind gypsy above. I actually just put a new barrel on my 223 and have 2 cases of adi ready to become that barrels brass.

Most 223 brass including Hornady has crimped primers. You can remove the crimp but it’s a pain in the ass, I reccomend finding brass that dosnt have a primer crimp, which can be tough in the 223/556 market.

sndmn11

WKR
Staball powders, 6.5 in particular, are seem to be in stock almost everywhere, and sometimes math out to be less expensive.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 10.18.43 AM.png

7000 grains in a lb
7000/26.8 x8= 2089 (staball 6.5)
7000/22.6 x8 = 2477 (H4895)

284.99/2089 = $0.136 per bang Staball 6.5 https://www.powdervalley.com/product/winchester-staball-6-5/
339.99/2477 = $0.137 per bang H4895 https://www.powdervalley.com/product/hodgdon-h4895/

I'd buy myself some new starline brass https://www.powdervalley.com/product/starline-223-rem-50/

or maybe some pre-primed brass https://www.powdervalley.com/product/norma-223-remington-primed-brass/

send the cheapest bullet with a BC that makes you happy https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026405057?pid=449279

@wind gypsy beat me to the math-work and has good suggestions with TAC and Leverevolution

have you tried norma golden target 143?

That would save you 30%+ over what you're currently doing.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
have you tried norma golden target 143?

That would save you 30%+ over what you're currently doing.
Nope. Been shooting the Hornady exclusively.

Same boat as you cougar. Just bought a stainless .223 and getting my components together. With the idea of cheap and accurate. Will send you a PM of the components I’ve found that should work well.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Same boat as you cougar. Just bought a stainless .223 and getting my components together. With the idea of cheap and accurate. Will send you a PM of the components I’ve found that should work well.
I couldn’t pass up the gunzonedeak email price with the rebate. I bought a 223 and a 6.5.

You can get them a bit cheaper using the Cabelas Club card and the gift cards. I’m lazy, and this was pretty decent. I sent them right to my gunsmith to have them chopped and threaded.

That's an awesome deal.

I'm fighting the urge to find an excuse to buy another at those prices.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Staball powders, 6.5 in particular, are seem to be in stock almost everywhere, and sometimes math out to be less expensive.

View attachment 633426

7000 grains in a lb
7000/26.8 x8= 2089 (staball 6.5)
7000/22.6 x8 = 2477 (H4895)

284.99/2089 = $0.136 per bang Staball 6.5 https://www.powdervalley.com/product/winchester-staball-6-5/
339.99/2477 = $0.137 per bang H4895 https://www.powdervalley.com/product/hodgdon-h4895/

I'd buy myself some new starline brass https://www.powdervalley.com/product/starline-223-rem-50/

or maybe some pre-primed brass https://www.powdervalley.com/product/norma-223-remington-primed-brass/

send the cheapest bullet with a BC that makes you happy https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026405057?pid=449279

@wind gypsy beat me to the math-work and has good suggestions with TAC and Leverevolution
Just saw this - thank you. I’ve got a little shopping to do.