Rokslide Special 223 recipe

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
So I just loaded some 75s at 2.26“ today to fit in the Tikka mag with a Lever ladder from 23 to 26 gr and does look too deep. I’m thinking I shouldn’t chance these.

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
So I just loaded some 75s at 2.26“ today to fit in the Tikka mag with a Lever ladder from 23 to 26 gr and does look too deep. I’m thinking I shouldn’t chance these.
Assuming you’re talking about 75gr eld’s? They’ll hit the target most likely but I’d not expect any desirable accuracy… As has been posted the 75’s are too long to seat to tikka mag length.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you’re talking about 75gr eld’s? They’ll hit the target most likely but I’d not expect any desirable accuracy… As has been posted the 75’s are too long to seat to tikka mag length.
Yes 75 ELDM. if not a safety issue, would it at least be functional for a pressure test ladder?

Juan_ID

WKR
That I couldn’t tell you, that’s beyond my reloading knowledge. I would assume the pressures could be different between a 75 seated to mag length vs a 73 seated to the same length but can’t say for sure.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Yes 75 ELDM. if not a safety issue, would it at least be functional for a pressure test ladder?
Maybe but you could see pressure show up earlier than it would if they are seated at the proper depth. At mag length you have a lot of bullet in the case using a 75eld

Lawnboi

WKR
75 has a very short bearing surface, which usually means less pressure makes more velocity.

More jump can also reduce the signs of pressure, that 75 at mag length is likely jumping an extremely long way.

For those reasons I wouldn’t consider it a viable pressure ladder.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 1000 of the 77 SMK seconds from Midway the other day . I opened a couple boxes and weighed and eyeballed them and couldn't find any blems. Loaded them up with Varget for my gas gun and got a load that shoots 5 shot group at under 1/2". I use pick up brass and sort by headstamp, L/C in this case. Now you guy's have me wanting to sell some safe queens to get a CTR or a Super Varmint.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Disclaimer, I'm not an authority on anything, I'm relaying what I did. If you copy me and end up with a rifle bolt lodged in your zygomatic arch, well you should not have copied a fool.

Rifle is a Tikka with 16.5 inch barrel.

For anyone curious, Accurate 2495 sucks. I could not find load data specific to a 77 gr TMK, but a 77 SMK is 22.6 gr (from what I found on another forum, not a load manual). This powder is supposedly close to H4895, which has a listed max of 22.6 gr with 77 gr Sierra BTHPs. So, I loaded it to 22 gr for 10 rounds. No signs of pressure, load is very lightly compressed with setting 77 TMKs to mag length. Using Fed 205 primers, Starline brass.

This gave me a 1.99 inch group (at 100 yards) with an average velocity of 2382 fps.

For comparison, using the same components, 22 gr of N135 (a full gr below book max), gives me velocities of 2554 fps and sub 1.2 inch groups.

To check, I shot a confirming group with 8 target rounds loaded with 75 gr RMR bullets. My 30 round group with these was 1.66 inches. The confirming group was 1.36 inches.

Too bad, I can easily get AA2495 locally and have trouble finding other single base extruded powders for the 223.

Last edited:
Disclaimer, I'm not an authority on anything, I'm relaying what I did. If you copy me and end up with a rifle bolt lodged in you zygomatic arch, well you should not have copied a fool.

Rifle is a Tikka with 16.5 inch barrel.

For anyone curious, Accurate 2495 sucks. I could not find load data specific to a 77 gr TMK, but a 77 SMK is 22.6 gr (from what I found on another forum, not a load manual). This powder is supposedly close to H4895, which has a listed max of 22.6 gr with 77 gr Sierra BTHPs. So, I loaded it to 22 gr for 10 rounds. No signs of pressure, load is very lightly compressed with setting 77 TMKs to mag length. Using Fed 205 primers, Starline brass.

This gave me a 1.99 inch group (at 100 yards) with an average velocity of 2382 fps.

For comparison, using the same components, 22 gr of N135 (a full gr below book max), gives me velocities of 2554 fps and sub 1.2 inch groups.

To check, I shot a confirming group with 8 target rounds loaded with 75 gr RMR bullets. My 30 round group with these was 1.66 inches. The confirming group was 1.36 inches.

Too bad, I can easily get AA2495 locally and have trouble finding other single base extruded powders for the 223.
Hornady has a2495 listed under their 223 service rifle loads. 21.8 is max at 2600fps. Not sure why you’re that slow. IMG_9002.png

FLS

WKR
I’ve been shooting a lot of the 75 BTHPs lately. They’re cheap always available and shoot well out of my CTR and match AR.
LC brass
BR4 primer
23.5gr of 8208
24.5gr of TAC
25gr of SW Match Rifle
All gave good accuracy and velocities out of MY rifles. Use at your own risk.