Rokslide special target ammo?

Lawnboi

WKR
I should also add if Norma or Hornady has better brass, that’s also a consideration. But consistency is #1

1.5moa, as it consistently hitting 1.5 moa targets at 600 yards, with factory ammo in the 223 is asking a lot. In a no wind situation I’m sure it can be done, and it’s fun to shoot like that, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on expectations at that range with 75/77 mag length loaded factory ammo.

I can’t speak to Norma brass but Hornady is junk. By firing 4 I had pieces that barely held a bullet and pieces that the neck tension was so tight that I was leaving an imprint seating bullets.

A neat idea to try, just to see what that rifle with that ammo will do, is when you zero, measure your 10 shot group, add the difference at 600 of your chosen bullets SD and see what size target is really doable. Sub 2moa targets past about 400 with the 223 require some serious knowledge on what’s going on. Which is what makes it such a great cartridge to practice with. Shooting target sizes approaching or smaller than your rifles cone makes it tough, add in that one single mph of wind will push your cone slightly off a 1.5moa target, and it makes it even harder.

A lot can be done closer as well. I like to do a good lump of my ‘distance’ practice and ranges where I can confirm if the shot missed because of my skill and not just conditions. This allows more confidence when you start to stretch it out.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I just ordered 500rds of the Norma golden target 77smk. I'm confident that it will shoot great.

Pretty much everything I've shot from norma has been really good ammo; accurate, clean, good brass, and consistent.

I ordered from kir, $399 free shipping and no tax so win win. Super fast shipping too.
Did you get to shoot that Norma yet?

Norma Golden Target bulk ammo can from KIR
.223 77gr SMK
Shot from 16" .223 wylde 1:8 aero precision upper.
100ish yds.
67° and windy AF from my 7-8 o'clock @15mph sustained with gust up to 35-40mph. (Got some exercise setting up/chasing the target lol)

First 5rds after bore sight
20240325_112447.jpg

Next 9 rounds(I'm from KY and can't count and load a mag at the same time)
sticker to the left is 1.5"
Adjusted to left

20240325_112414.jpg

Next 10rds
1" sticker
First 3 still right
Adjust again.
Next 7 on

20240325_110311.jpg

Last 10
Bit of mirage from heat.
Wind was really getting during this group as well

20240325_112424.jpg

This upper usually prefers 62-69gr(Typically 1.5-2" 10 shot groups) but it could also be the crazy wind and in better conditions might shoot better.

Between my shooting skills and the wind I'm fairly pleased with the ammo.

I don't think you could go wrong with it for the money to use as practice ammo in the RSS or any 223 for that matter.

Hope that helps @TheCougar

Edit to add: the scope used was a burris 3-9 very similar to the one recently drop tested by form but with a 30mm tube in a leupold mark AR. I've never had any issues with zero loss from this scope.
I've had it on and off this upper off many times and remounting zero is always very close.
Side note and further tangent before remounting this scope I had a primary arms slx 3x prism and that thing is awesome and highly recommend.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR

If anyone wants to try the 73 eldm in factory scheels has it in stock.

More plus 10% off right now