RokStok

Came home to my rokstok on my porch! This stock is awesome. It’ll be a few days till I get it the rifle put together and have a chance to shoot it. The cerakote is awesome. My only concern is there are a few spots that on the comb that look like little defects. Interested to hear your guys thoughts.
Thats nothing to do with the cerakote. It looks like a lack of resin where the 2 sides of the mold meet.

So no discussion on a discussion forum? No one is bashing them, simply stating their experience. There has been 0 negative comments just issues pointed out. The inability to critique a product of the forum owners, would take away credibility.
The right thing to do is to go to the company and give them the chance to fix it before you air your issues to the universe. UM has already said they will take care of their customers. There is no need to post these things until they get a chance to address it.

When paying for cerakote that costs close to 50% of the stock, I would want it to adhere pretty dang close to perfect. But I’m also too cheap to pay for cerakote so to each their own.

Assuming that stock is just the "ripped" pattern, it was a $50 charge over bare carbon. I'd have way more than that in krylon and value of my time if I were to rattle can it myself.

Agreed. These guys are slammed with orders and everyone (including me, LOL) want their stock yesterday! That being said, some of the imperfections that have been brought up on this thread should have never made it out the door in my opinion. I'm sure these guys are going through some tough growing pains because of a great product that lots of us want.
No one has a zero percent error rate. And particularly at the start of production, errors will occur and will make it out the door. They’ve stated clearly that they will take care of their customers.

Lol. Ok. Vortex ALWAYS fixes their screw ups or lack of quality, should no one ever post a negative quality control issue because Vortex warranties it?
LOL. Ok. That is a silly and petty post. Have you ever bought anything from UM before? People who run businesses have to deal with silly, petty people everyday because the customer is always right. You should be grateful for those people.

Came home to my rokstok on my porch! This stock is awesome. It’ll be a few days till I get it the rifle put together and have a chance to shoot it. The cerakote is awesome. My only concern is there are a few spots that on the comb that look like little defects. Interested to hear your guys thoughts.
That is a slick cerakote job.

Me personally, I’d take the stock and rock on. Slight visual imperfections are to be expected from my POV dealing with carbon stocks - especially at this price range.

Plus after a little use, it’ll have some significantly larger imperfections (which all adds character).

Some put a high value in perfection though, which can also generally lead to increasing price tags.

No right answer, just what you personally are okay with.

Ymmv. I don’t own any safe queens.

LOL. Ok. That is a silly and petty post. Have you ever bought anything from UM before? People who run businesses have to deal with silly, petty people everyday because the customer is always right. You should be grateful for those people.
No need to Mark out bud.. its OK if some people post something negative about the most revolutionary stock of our lifetime. I bet Ryan and the boys of UM can handle it.

From my research, CF is just a finicky surface to apply paint/coatings to. If the coating is a solid color, it’ll show every imperfection in the CF resin. The more colors the more the imperfections will be hidden. It’s why most bike and auto businesses don’t paint CF and instead leave the CF bare. The cost and time to make it perfect just isn’t worth it, and bare CF is attractive as is

Some surfaces are better for coating/paint application than others.

The right thing to do is to go to the company and give them the chance to fix it before you air your issues to the universe. UM has already said they will take care of their customers. There is no need to post these things until they get a chance to address it.
Where did I say I had an issue? I clearly stated this is the first item I had cerakoted and wanted to be sure it wasn’t something that was going to be an issue with the structural integrity.

Cool color choice. I would not have thought of that. If painting or dipping myself I would have filled the small holes with a little epoxy and sanded these pits and any mold lines smooth. They certainly won’t effect functionality in any way though.

Where did I say I had an issue? I clearly stated this is the first item I had cerakoted and wanted to be sure it wasn’t something that was going to be an issue with the structural integrity.
Your cerakote looks really nice, and if it were me, I would likely make it look a lot less nice the first time I took it out and used it.

I honestly believe all stock manufacturers would have let that cerakote job get shipped out. How can you guarantee a finish that is not only different colors but different patterns to adhere 100% perfectly?
Nope, I don't agree with this from what I've seen with fully finished stocks.

Just listened to the most recent podcast and at the end they said the M70 stocks won’t have the molded in texture. That’s quite disappointing to hear and hopefully that will change in the future. I was about to order but that will make me hold off.
Maybe lack of texture comes with a small price reduction? One of my favorite parts of the Tikka stock tbh (given that there are many things to like) I mostly care/notice it on the vert grip area, I'd be OK without it on the fore-end but it's nice there too. Maybe there's something about the Model 70 mold/inletting process that makes the texturing cost or time prohibitive.

Your cerakote looks really nice, and if it were me, I would likely make it look a lot less nice the first time I took it out and used it.
This is my thought as well. I expect mine sill see some scratches and dings along the way.

I would recommend to not overthink and just buy a Rokstock honestly. I've used multiple of almost every single aftermarket Tikka stock over the last 5 or 6 years, Stockys VG2 was my favorite, and now it's the Rokstock for sure.

Set your rifle/rings/scope up as per @Formidilosus method and go shoot.
Honestly, I'm just lazy, but can you fw me to the "formidilousus method?

Honestly, I'm just lazy, but can you fw me to the "formidilousus method?

i don’t personally really get the draw for a m70 build over a tikka unless you have one sitting around, but I would probably change my mind for a m70 in a walnut rokstok.

Carbon, meh, and carbon without texturing na

I have a M70 that I’ve hunted with for a long time and it could use a stock upgrade. But the lack of molded in texture is going to keep me from ordering. I’d rather not have a rail than the grip being removed. Hopefully it will become an option.

Back