The Unknown Munitions GM Speaks

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Greetings all you Roksliders, Backsliders, and Ne'er do Wells. This is your Unknown Munitions General Manager. The UM GM. I have been meaning to make some posts here for a while, but, well, you know the thing...........................

I'll start with the most important topic. I am sometimes hard to get a hold of on the phone. Probably because I seem to always be on the phone or with a customer in the shop. That said, I really to try to get back to everyone as soon as I can. I am also slower than I want to be on e-mails........probably because I seem to always be on the phone or with a customer in the shop............

All my excuses aside, I really do want to get to everyone quickly. Why? I am very proud of our rifle build and load development process. When we build them and do load development, we routinely get sub 1/2 minute 3-shot groups at 650 yds. That holds true on a $2795 Tikka build or a $6000 Vesper build.

Jake has let me run the rifle builds and load developments the way I want. My obsession is to produce highly accurate rifles that look good, backed up by world class customer service. At UM, we chamber rifles the same way I chamber my own long range bench rest rifles. We get the throat straight. That means being very fussy about how we "dial in" a barrel, using a direct reading indicator with a long reach tip.

The secret to an accurate rifle--and this isn't even a secret--is to have a straight throat in a good quality barrel, a stress free bedding job (we check with a dial indicator), and a "true" action. With some competition riles we fuss with ignition and eliminate any cock-on-closing, but none of that is required to get sub 1/2 minute 3-shot groups at 650 yds.

Why load development at 650 yds? Because 100 yd groups are meaningless in a medium to long range rifle. 100 yd groups lie to us all the time. Just as Nick, our load developer. I don't remember his handle here, but he is smallest of the 5 long bearded gnomes I work with. Two big ones, a medium one, a rounder medium one (@Ryan Avery) , and the small one............................ :cool: I guess that makes me the "Beardless Wonder", but hey, beards didn't play well with an O2 mask in a USAF jet back in they day, and my beard nowadays would be all white anyway...............................

We achieve that sub 1/2 minute at 650 yds using new unsorted brass, unsorted bullets, and no special primer prep. We do load powder +/- a kernel, seat +/- .001", and set neck tension with a mandrel.

Now some shooters want that 1/4 moa "all day long" we see so much on the internet. We can approach 1/4 moa all day long at 600-1000 yds with the right brass prep, bullet sorting, primer sorting and seating; coupled with an insane level of tuning at the distance we want those 1/4 minute groups.................in a long range BENCHREST rifle. Maybe also with an F-Open rifle. With whatever rifle,the conditions must be VERY GOOD. If you can consistenty shoot 2.5" 5-shot groups at 1000 yds, you will win a lot of Light Gun Aggs in LRBR. Now you will ocassionaly get beat, and you wont set any records, but you will be at the top most of the time.

I said all that just to help focus on what we need in a long range hunting rifle. We don't need, nor should we expect, 1/4 moa all day long at long range. We ought to be close to 1/2 minute at long range when we are developing loads in very good conditions. If you can only work up loads at 100 yds, then @Formidilosus 30-shot groups make a lot of sense. After we have the load, we need to learn to read the wind and shoot from field conditions.

That's about all the time I have now. In future posts I do want to cover the new reamers we have coming in, tight chambers, rifling configuration, fast vs slow barrels, pet peeves, etc. I won't ever make stuff up and I tell you when I don't know.............and the older I get the less I seem to know for certain............................

Thanks for posting! Few questions for you:

In load workup, how repeatable is everything?

If you deliver the recipe to a customer that has different powder lots, primer lots, CBTO gauge - how often are they able to replicate results? Does the customer need to match the equipment you're using?

With a firebreather like the 6 UM, how many rounds do things stay tight as the throat erodes?

OP
U

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for posting! Few questions for you:

In load workup, how repeatable is everything?

If you deliver the recipe to a customer that has different powder lots, primer lots, CBTO gauge - how often are they able to replicate results? Does the customer need to match the equipment you're using?

With a firebreather like the 6 UM, how many rounds do things stay tight as the throat erodes?

Repeatability is the whole point of load development. For most of the load work we do, we also load ammo to the specs of the best load. Powder lots are often the same but we usually don't have an issue with powder lots. I assume that's because we go through powder so fast and order in such quantities that we don't run into big lot-to-lot variations. Also, we use temp stable and relatively temp stable powders that seem to be more consistent lot-to-lot.

That said, it can happen. The 5715 lot of H4895 is a little hotter than most, and it has shot very well for us in long range benchrest. I would love to have some more of it....................

We could easily have an issue with measuring CBTO, and because of that our load developer provides a dummy round for the selected load. That way the person seating the bullets can measure for themselves and match their own measurement. We also make sure we are expanding cases with the same size expander that was used in load dev so neck tension is the same.

It's no so often that we do a load development solely to provide the data. Our load development is spendy for someone who can load for themselves. When we do, we provide a dummy round and make it clear that the load may have to be adjusted slightly. If things go totally wonky, we pay the shipping for the customer to send the rifle back in.

We also look for forgiving loads. We rarely have the bullet closer than .020" to the lands, and we try to find a deep seating depth that shoots well. If someone wants more precision that that, then they need to do their own load development.

The 6 UM is an excessive cartridge. It is so overbore that the seating depth may need to be frequently adjusted to keep it in tune. We haven't yet done a load dev for the 6 UM, so the experiences of Ryan and others on this forum are probably the best source of info.

Dobermann

WKR
Repeatability is the whole point of load development. For most of the load work we do, we also load ammo to the specs of the best load. Powder lots are often the same but we usually don't have an issue with powder lots. I assume that's because we go through powder so fast and order in such quantities that we don't run into big lot-to-lot variations. Also, we use temp stable and relatively temp stable powders that seem to be more consistent lot-to-lot.

That said, it can happen. The 5715 lot of H4895 is a little hotter than most, and it has shot very well for us in long range benchrest. I would love to have some more of it....................

We could easily have an issue with measuring CBTO, and because of that our load developer provides a dummy round for the selected load. That way the person seating the bullets can measure for themselves and match their own measurement. We also make sure we are expanding cases with the same size expander that was used in load dev so neck tension is the same.

It's no so often that we do a load development solely to provide the data. Our load development is spendy for someone who can load for themselves. When we do, we provide a dummy round and make it clear that the load may have to be adjusted slightly. If things go totally wonky, we pay the shipping for the customer to send the rifle back in.

We also look for forgiving loads. We rarely have the bullet closer than .020" to the lands, and we try to find a deep seating depth that shoots well. If someone wants more precision that that, then they need to do their own load development.

The 6 UM is an excessive cartridge. It is so overbore that the seating depth may need to be frequently adjusted to keep it in tune. We haven't yet done a load dev for the 6 UM, so the experiences of Ryan and others on this forum are probably the best source of info.
Blah blah blah.

I'm just here for the Murder Bunnies t-shirt.

@UM GM :

I run a few of the UM Tikka rail mount scope levels. Love them.

Could you build a similarly sized and quality unit for pic mounts? There seems to ge a dearth in the market. All of the pic rail mounted levels I've tried are either too large or are of low quality.

Thanks for making high quality products.

@UM GM :

I run a few of the UM Tikka rail mount scope levels. Love them.

Could you build a similarly sized and quality unit for pic mounts? There seems to ge a dearth in the market. All of the pic rail mounted levels I've tried are either too large or are of low quality.

Thanks for making high quality products.
Have you tried MKM. I just picked up a few on a Black Friday deal and don’t have any complaints yet

Have you tried MKM. I just picked up a few on a Black Friday deal and don’t have any complaints yet
Yes. It's been a couple of years, but the one I used from them was quite a bit bigger than the UM level for Tikka. Maybe they have made more compact models since? If you have second, pls post up a link to the model you are using.

Yes. It's been a couple of years, but the one I used from them was quite a bit bigger than the UM level for Tikka. Maybe they have made more compact models since? If you have second, pls post up a link to the model you are using.
The UM definitely looks smaller/compact but I have not had one of the UM ones in hand yet.

Here is the one I picked up. Just saw they have a polymer one that I missed somehow.

Thanks for the link.

Looks to be the samas unit as what I tried. Definitely a high quality product, was just hoping to get a little less obtrusive.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
You guys build some killer stuff. Looking forward to more posts

".....sub 1/2 minute 3-shot groups at 650 yds."

Please educate me everyone. I am quoting the opening poster above, who is a Busy Man.
{A} Does the above phase mean that: (1) the 3 shots (2) at 650 yards distant (3) will be within
a nickel or so? (0.835 inch)
{B} If not, what size circle will the three shots be within: 3 inches, 6", 12"......?
Thank you all for the help!

ljalberta

WKR
".....sub 1/2 minute 3-shot groups at 650 yds."

Please educate me everyone. I am quoting the opening poster above, who is a Busy Man.
{A} Does the above phase mean that: (1) the 3 shots (2) at 650 yards distant (3) will be within
a nickel or so? (0.835 inch)
{B} If not, what size circle will the three shots be within: 3 inches, 6", 12"......?
Thank you all for the help!
About 3.4”

ianpadron

WKR
UM did some load workup for my hunting partners Proof 300 WM. Legit .25 MOA group at 650 with pics to prove it.

That rifle dumped a mule deer at 1043 yards about 3 weeks after it came back from Idaho... I'm a believer.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
UM did some load workup for my hunting partners Proof 300 WM. Legit .25" group at 650 with pics to prove it.

That rifle dumped a mule deer at 1043 yards about 3 weeks after it came back from Idaho... I'm a believer.
Pic, or it didn't happen.:)