Ruby 101-109 Early Archery Hunt Advice

Hey all I drew unit 101-109 early archery mule deer tag I plan on hunting parts of 101, 102 and 104. I plan on backpacking 5-8 miles and setting up camp if you have any info if these areas are decent or have some other ideas that would be awesome.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Since you mentioned the areas you are considering on a searchable forum you'll have plenty of company.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
UThunt1990
Welcome to Rokslide. I'd plan on preseason scouting. There's deer in all of the areas you mentioned.
I plan on doing one scouting trip probably next week just trying to cut down my options thanks for the reply. PM if you have any other suggestions.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of hunting pressure in that 6-12 miles in. Beautiful country, no shortage of deer but the big ones are few and far between. Enjoy!

OP
UThunt1990
Lots of hunting pressure in that 6-12 miles in. Beautiful country, no shortage of deer but the big ones are few and far between. Enjoy!
I've heard its amazing country excited for the experince hopefully I can set eyes on a mature deer.

amassi

WKR
Since you mentioned the areas you are considering on a searchable forum you'll have plenty of company.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Those areas he mentioned were burned on muleymadness in 2006 over dial up

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pueblo

FNG
I've done the 102 backpack hunt 3 times. I honestly don't think you need to "scout" unless you want to do a four or five day Ruby Crest Trail hike for the fun and learning. Everything you need to know is on the internet and on Google Earth. As has been said, there's pressure even far in....some guys have been working on their strategies for many seasons to outsmart the crowds and get in deeper than the rest. Guides will do water drops by horseback in areas where they hunt above any convenient or reliable water. The reality is there are a lot of bucks at the 8-10,000 foot level, so if the canyon looks good it probably has something to hunt. Reality is also that they are mostly mediocre in size, but lot's of interesting antlers, like 29" forkies and such. I have yet to see a B&C class buck in the Rubies. Dress for any weather.

OP
UThunt1990
I've done the 102 backpack hunt 3 times. I honestly don't think you need to "scout" unless you want to do a four or five day Ruby Crest Trail hike for the fun and learning. Everything you need to know is on the internet and on Google Earth. As has been said, there's pressure even far in....some guys have been working on their strategies for many seasons to outsmart the crowds and get in deeper than the rest. Guides will do water drops by horseback in areas where they hunt above any convenient or reliable water. The reality is there are a lot of bucks at the 8-10,000 foot level, so if the canyon looks good it probably has something to hunt. Reality is also that they are mostly mediocre in size, but lot's of interesting antlers, like 29" forkies and such. I have yet to see a B&C class buck in the Rubies. Dress for any weather.
Thanks for the Info ill be focusing on hunting the higher elevations and been studying google earth alot I think i've found a couple spots I want to hit. I'm not being real picky on size of buck this will be my first archery deer hunt would love to see a 29" Forky love that unique stuff.