RUGER M77 MKII LIGHTWEIGHT BUILD

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I have an M77 MKII that I want to make lighter and do some work on. It already has a bartlien barrel and it’s chambered in .300 win mag. I have a guy in Utah that is going to lathe the barrel down and carbon fiber wrap it. After that I’m wanting to put a new trigger in it and swap the VX-3LRP for either a vx-5 or 6. Then I’ll be hunt for some kind of stock “I know there isn’t much out there for them“. Anything else I can look at doing? This rifle is my baby and I want to make it a lightweight shooting machine. IMG_2721.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have an M77 MKII that I want to make lighter and do some work on. It already has a bartlien barrel and it’s chambered in .300 win mag. I have a guy in Utah that is going to lathe the barrel down and carbon fiber wrap it. After that I’m wanting to put a new trigger in it and swap the VX-3LRP for either a vx-5 or 6. Then I’ll be hunt for some kind of stock “I know there isn’t much out there for them“. Anything else I can look at doing? This rifle is my baby and I want to make it a lightweight shooting machine.

If you are going for LW, why are you going to carbon wrap it? That won’t make it lighter. A carbon wrapped barrel isn’t lighter than a standard sporter steel barrel.

Stocky’s is coming out with a stock M77’s I believe, and there’s a good chance there will be a ROKStok that will work as well.

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going for LW, why are you going to carbon wrap it? That won’t make it lighter. A carbon wrapped barrel isn’t lighter than a standard sporter steel barrel.

Stocky’s is coming out with a stock M77’s I believe, and there’s a good chance there will be a ROKStok that will work as well.
you don’t think it’d be lighter after being lathed down? (Not trying to argue genuinely curious)

Elkangle

WKR
New stock , send that action in to get shaved up, chop a foot off that barrel

Forms correct that after you lath your barrel that's as light as its going to be...I've always liked carbon myself tho for the simple fact it's a little warmer to the touch

You will be compromising eventually...don't get too extreme.. your goal is to kill stuff

Awesome buck 👍

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
New stock , send that action in to get shaved up, chop a foot off that barrel

Forms correct that after you lath your barrel that's as light as its going to be...I've always liked carbon myself tho for the simple fact it's a little warmer to the touch

You will be compromising eventually...don't get too extreme.. your goal is to kill stuff

Awesome buck 👍
He’s going to lathe it down to the exact specs bartlein uses for their carbon fiber barrels and also wrap it to their specs too. It’ll essentially be one of their barrels.

Matt5266

WKR
Agreed chop it down, flute it or lathe and leave it. Dont waste money adding weight to wrap it. Your just spending money to add weight which is what your trying to lose.

Love those guns, good luck! And that's a dandy buck!

H80Hunter

WKR

I have an older Ruger M77 with the tang safety that I’d love to upgrade the stock on. Any more info? What you said about sounds good but I’m not sure if all Ruger M77 are created equal.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have an older Ruger M77 with the tang safety that I’d love to upgrade the stock on. Any more info? What you said about sounds good but I’m not sure if all Ruger M77 are created equal.

I would guess it won’t fit a tanger.

What contour is the current barrel? Because their lightest carbon contour (#4) is about the same weight as a bartlein #3 steel IIRC (I.E. not light). Agreed with others. To me taking a good barrel and turning it down and carbon wrapping it sounds like a good way to waste money and possibly eff up a good barrel.

BCsteve

WKR
M77 tang safety are different unfortunately. The M77 MKII and Hawkeye are the same inletting.