Rugged Smart Phones

TexAg09

FNG
Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a new smart phone, and I've been doing some research on "rugged" smart phones that have a level of water resistance/proofing, sealed from dust and some extra shock absorption. Right now I'm looking into a BV9500 Plus and a Doogee S90 Pro. Does anyone have any experience with these phones, or have any other recommendations? I appreciate any input and advice.

dtrkyman

WKR
One with a lifeproof case. My wife can break a phone just looking at it, no issues with it since using a lifeproof.

I am pretty rough on my phone as well and the lifeproof is a great insurance policy, my case after 1.5 years looks like its 10 years old, open it up an my phone is pristine!

Apollo117

WKR
Do some research on how often those two phones receive security updates. Email the company and ask them how often their phone receives a security update as well as what's the process for upgrading to the latest version of Android OS (currently Android 10).

In my job I've dealt with ruggedized Android phones and tablets. It's frustrating when a device that still works doesn't receive security updates and can't be upgraded to a new operating system, because the company no longer supports the device. I've learned to either buy flagship devices from major manufacturers or to contact a minor manufacturer asking the questions above. These are the only ways I've found to guarantee the support (security updates and OS upgrades) of the device for more than a year.

Sometimes it's easier to settle for a flagship phone (non-ruggedized) and put it in a durable phone case than it is to deal with the shortcomings of a ruggedized phone from a lesser known company.

One with a lifeproof case. My wife can break a phone just looking at it, no issues with it since using a lifeproof.

I am pretty rough on my phone as well and the lifeproof is a great insurance policy, my case after 1.5 years looks like its 10 years old, open it up an my phone is pristine!
Life proof cases are good but not bullet proof...on my 3rd phone and life proof case...the buttons quit working and the screen cover of the case gets so scratched you can see it..plus any drop over 6ish feet lifeproof doesnt help...my advice insurance. They are great when your phone goes overboard...easy to see it on the bottom when its lit up.

MThuntr

WKR
It's important to make sure that these different phones talk to your cell providers frequencies. I know some previous versions of the BlackView phones didn't work with Verizon which is a deal breaker in Montana. I believe the new BV9500 does work on their frequencies now but have not confirmed.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Lifeproof and a flagship phone. I typically get 10-12 months of use on my lifeproof before it starts to breakdown, a quick call to Lifeproof gets me a replacement since they have a one year warranty. On 3-4 case with the same iPhone8, they honored 7-8 warranty claims for my case on my old iPhone.

nrh6.7

WKR
I have a Samsung 7 Active. They are supposed to be a tougher version of their GX counterpart. Also has a larger battery.

DavePwns

WKR
I just got the Samsung s10, great battery life, water proof to an extent, 512G of storage for all the downloaded detailed onX maps I could want. Put a good screen protector on and a overbuilt case. I have had lower spec phones and had onX crash on me and not function well in the field. Never had any problems with this new phone.

BearGut

WKR
I have a iPhone 7 with a Lifeproof Fre case on it. It’s taken quite a few falls off of 8’ ladders and spends most of its day in my screw bags.
The phone still looks brand new, the case not so much. About 2 years of use.

tems908

FNG
At work all of our units have a cell phone designated for it, a couple of months ago they gave us new phones call Sonim, they quite bulky but seem to e holding up pretty well. Supposedly they're held to military standards, and have push to talk capabilities. https://www.sonimtech.com/xp8/

I am issued a Sonim xp8 for my job and I hate it. It is very slow compared to my personal android and very heavy.

Austink47

WKR
I have a iPhone 6 in a life proof that I have had since they came out. New case about once a year. I work as a ranger on a lake, hunt, fish, and have a toddler. My phone is not pampered.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using an iPhone 8 in a Pelican case. Going on over a year now. I was a huge fan of lifeproof cases until this phone. My life proof case fell apart in less than three months, basically disintegrated. The seals gave out, the screen cover fell off, and the charger seal at the bottom fell off. Plus the silent on/off button was a pain in the butt. The pelican case isn’t perfect but it’s holding up well and so is the phone. I rarely have my phone in my pocket. Usually sitting in the top shelf of my tool cart or in a saddle somewhere. I go up and down the mountains all the time either horseback or hiking and use my phone as a GPS. The screen is holding up great even under adverse weather. If it gets to nasty I throw it in a pocket on my slicker or in my pack and keep going. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how durable my phone has been given the abuse I put it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using Lifeproof case's for the past 5 years. I duck hunt, fly fish, drop it all the time. Never had a problem. Also the replacement policy is bulletproof.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not real easy on phones. Have a Samsung 8 Active which is waterproof. I haven't thrown mine in a lake or anything but it's been rained on, etc. quite a bit with no issues. Use a Spigen case and Bodyguardz glass screen protector as I don't like bulky cases. Works for me...

I have a Kyocera duraforce pro2 and love it. Metal case and it comes with a glass screen protector that I have replaced a couple times for 20 bucks for 2 screens had it for a year now and no issues at all.

I been using a Pelican for years. Not waterproof but it must be shockproof as I have dropped it many times onto the concrete and tile floor. Its pretty much shot. I might give lifeproof a try.

Fatcamp

WKR
Kyocera Duraforce. I broke and flooded phone after phone. Even the supposedly indestructible ones.

My wife forced me to get this one out of frustration. So glad. Two years and going strong. Holds a pile of data, gps works great, waterproof, and if dropping it 20-30 times is any indication a crack proof screen. Screen isn't even scratched. Unreal.

Due for a new one and it will be the same phone.