Rut Report, CO 3rd Season

Northwolf

FNG
How’s the rutting activity for everyone on a 3rd season tag?

We are in unit 3/301 right now and blown away by how little rut activity we are seeing. Talked to some locals this morning who said they’ve never seen the rut not be started by now, but even on their private ground they’re not seeing much. We saw a 2x3 checking a doe yesterday, but with as many does as we are seeing, we can’t believe we aren’t seeing bucks rutting them. Just curious what everyone else is seeing?

As a side note, anybody on unit 3 looking for elk, I got you covered, because holy crap are they thicker than flies in here this year!
I know this is an old thread but just curios the area you were in last year. I will be up there for 3rd rifle this year. I am 0 for 3 on elk hunting Co

Hnthrdr

WKR
I know this is an old thread but just curios the area you were in last year. I will be up there for 3rd rifle this year. I am 0 for 3 on elk hunting Co
Not to be a negative Nacy… but this is a bad year to be hunting NW Co…. Looks to be warming back up after this initial storm but that area was hammered by winter kill, good luck

Northwolf

FNG
Yeah I definitely know about the winter kill in the NW. I have a Buck tag that I am pretty confident on filling. I am not looking for a trophy but also won't take anything to young either. but I am still debating getting a OTC Bull tag.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah I definitely know about the winter kill in the NW. I have a Buck tag that I am pretty confident on filling. I am not looking for a trophy but also won't take anything to young either. but I am still debating getting a OTC Bull tag.
If you’re out of state that’s a pretty price tag for a big maybe… but hey better to have it in case you see a bull. Quality of bucks is way down there as well. I wouldn’t pass a 150, but that is most of the state now… you’d be lucky to find a 4 year old… the later season structure has hammered the older bucks. As this is the 4th year of that occurrence. But you never know what can happen with a rut hunt?

Northwolf

FNG
If you’re out of state that’s a pretty price tag for a big maybe… but hey better to have it in case you see a bull. Quality of bucks is way down there as well. I wouldn’t pass a 150, but that is most of the state now… you’d be lucky to find a 4 year old… the later season structure has hammered the older bucks. As this is the 4th year of that occurrence. But you never know what can happen with a rut hunt?
I am a Co native, but just moved back from Northern MN where i spent the last 4 years. It's a different style of hunting up there. So the cost isn't really a factor. I guess it's better to be prepared as opposed to missing out on an elk. I would absolutely be ok with a 150 deer

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am a Co native, but just moved back from Northern MN where i spent the last 4 years. It's a different style of hunting up there. So the cost isn't really a factor. I guess it's better to be prepared as opposed to missing out on an elk. I would absolutely be ok with a 150 deer
Oh if it’s 60 bucks, then absolutely yes haha

Rut depending on the part of the state has been different. Definitely good rut action in Gunnison this year, but northern colorado seems slow. I'm seeing bucks cruising checking does but the big boys are not showing up yet. Elk hunters are pushing animals around as usual but not seeing realy rutting activity. Weather opening weekend got animals moving too.

Anyone else been out recently? Heading up to Northern CO, near Walden, in a couple days for 3rdd season.

Weather is looking awfully balmy -- highs in the mid 50s next week. Was hoping for a cold front to roll through but doesnt look like that's happening.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

intunegp

WKR
Anyone else been out recently? Heading up to Northern CO, near Walden, in a couple days for 3rdd season.

Weather is looking awfully balmy -- highs in the mid 50s next week. Was hoping for a cold front to roll through but doesnt look like that's happening.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I was in NW CO for 2nd rifle, I saw 30-40 does and only two bucks, one of which was running across the highway and the other my dad shot. I did see some tracks that appeared to be a buck chasing a doe, or at least following her. Locals I talked to nodded their heads and said it had been a tough year for everyone. Good luck to you!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep weather is lining up to be no fun for deer or elk hunting… but the rut sounds like it’s heating up so the deer will be rutting, the elk will be in the dark nasty with temps like that

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3rd Season buck tag in 54. I am definitely seeing some rut activity. All the groups of does on private have a buck or two around them. I haven't seen anything huge, but the switch is about to flip. There are some more mature bucks starting to filter in.

I did see a herd of elk and they were hauling ass. I saw two other hunters later in the morning that I'm certain bumped them. I only went mule deer for this season, as I don't want to be packing some raghorn when rut is peaking and missing that legendary BOAL.

I didn't hear a lot of shooting today.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Glassed, glassed, glassed some more, turned up 0 elk, and 12 muleys, two bucks, both were little fellas so they get a pass from me, hopefully their daddies show up soon

BigThig09

FNG
Shot this old buck this evening near Meeker following 4 does. One younger buck with them. Biggest bodied deer I’ve ever laid hands on. With the talk of the winter kill from the locals and the weather outlook, I decided any mature deer with a good frame was taking a ride if I did my part. I got to shoot him with my best friend who passed away last Saturday’s Winchester Supergrade that he never even got a chance to shoot. Pretty special buck to me regardless of score for that reason alone. 0AC0E174-90D1-422B-9445-1BEEED7A2467.jpeg43B85B1E-271D-48A3-8F8B-970734A95D3D.jpeg0A92067D-4878-4BD3-953D-31D3477627DC.jpeg

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Some new faces are starting to show. We may get some snow on Thursday and season ends on Friday. So far, 3 mature bucks spotted but nothing that comes close to the 180" mark. I did find a mature forkie that is 28"+ and is 6.5+ years in age. I saw him last year while elk hunting and he's pretty awesome. I might keep him in the back pocket for later in the season. The rut switch is about to flip in 54 and 55.

Oregon

WKR
Seeing 60 does a day, 8-10 bucks. Ain't seen a single buck sniffing yet. Buddy in camp killed the stinkiest buck I've ever smelt. He was all alone feeding. It's close but....

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yesterday, It was rocking in where I was hunting. Glassed a sweet basin at sunlight turned up a couple forkies. Had another hunter pop into my basin and shoot one of the little guys. Went to chat and congratulated him. Was going to head on when I spot another doe moving up, then a buck, then another buck.
Turns out there were 3-5 does and 3-5 bucks. One old mature buck, one really pretty 4x4 who looked younger, and a few little guys. They were chasing does and having a hell of a time. So much fun to watch. Although compared to the elk rut it’s kind of like watching a silent film haha ended up tagging the older more mature looking buck. He had 3 inch eye guards, and his teeth are about ground down to the gum line

Yesterday, It was rocking in where I was hunting. Glassed a sweet basin at sunlight turned up a couple forkies. Had another hunter pop into my basin and shoot one of the little guys. Went to chat and congratulated him. Was going to head on when I spot another doe moving up, then a buck, then another buck.
Turns out there were 3-5 does and 3-5 bucks. One old mature buck, one really pretty 4x4 who looked younger, and a few little guys. They were chasing does and having a hell of a time. So much fun to watch. Although compared to the elk rut it’s kind of like watching a silent film haha ended up tagging the older more mature looking buck. He had 3 inch eye guards, and his teeth are about ground down to the gum line
So you shot a nice buck rite in front of a guy that just shot a fork? Hahaha perfect 👌