Saddle hunts

Wondering if there is anyone who has tried the tree saddle bus and got off of it for whatever reason

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to try it out this year. Got everything I need ready to go. If I don't care for it I will go back to my LW Alpha.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I was into it for two years. Going back to a stand this year. I can’t shoot as well out of the saddle and it’s not as comfortable. Ends up being just as heavy as a hang on with all the ropes and shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

WKR
I've hunted out of saddles and treestands a lot. I only hunt out of saddles if I am limited on time or exploring a spot I'm unfamiliar with and don't know where to set up yet. They are a great tool for this.

With that said, I would much rather be in a treestand in most occasions if I had the choice. They are more comfortable for me and easier to shoot from (contrary to what all the marketing says). You typically have to use more movement out of a saddle and although some of this can be hidden by hiding behind the tree, you are just as likely to be picked off in a saddle given what you have to do to shoot the same angles you can out of a stand.

A lot of people forget that saddles have been on the market in some form for 30 years. There is a reason treestands are the standard and we'll see the pendulum swing back towards stands as more people use saddles and the marketing money thats being pumped into them starts to wain.

I had a conversation with a buddy this past week, I use both depending on the area and he was asking about the saddle and if it is worth getting one and I was upfront and honest... he said he might pass. If you walk a distance to hunt like I do in most cases it’s great, hunt public land and can’t leave a stand in there in fear of it getting stolen, take the time to preset lines to pull your rope up, practice a lot out of it in the off season, or like to tell you buddies you are a saddle hunter then it’s a good option. Private land, walking short distances, hunting all day.... go with a climber.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
If I was hunting purely private, I would probably stick with stands. I hunt all public though, and am going in blind or don’t have a tree pre picked, so a saddle is a good setup for me. My summit climber was definitely more comfortable for me, but never can find a good tree for it that’s in the perfect spot.

tntrker

WKR
I've Saddle hunted for 2 years. I hunt Public land so this has been a great asset for me. I sit all day, whether stand or saddle. I use it both ways, saddle hunt with platform OR have a preset hangs on and use the set up (without the platform) to get into the hang on. Also just used it this weekend to top a tree that was overhanging in my yard.. :)

Tradguy

FNG
If I was hunting purely private, I would probably stick with stands. I hunt all public though, and am going in blind or don’t have a tree pre picked, so a saddle is a good setup for me. My summit climber was definitely more comfortable for me, but never can find a good tree for it that’s in the perfect spot.
Totally agree with this. I have been hunting a lot more public land the last few years just to see some different country. A saddle setup makes this way more efficient for me. I still use my trusty lock on stands for my private land set ups or even if I really know a piece of public ground real well. I wont ever take an all or nothing approach to saddles and stands, its another piece of equipment in the arsenal that lets me do what I love.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I used a saddle the last couple season's and it takes multiple sits to get comfy and find a setup that works for you. Saddle fit is a thing. I've been really happy with it. I just upgraded this year to the Phantom. If you go with a lightweight option and small diameter ropes it is lighter (3.8lbs and doubles as safety harness), quieter, and packs smaller than a tree stand. My upper back also gets sore with long sits in a tree stand and that isn't the case with a saddle.

I use both stands and saddle on private land, but if I'm going out of state or hunting public I always just bring my saddle and LW mini's. They pack small and I can get in a lot more trees with it.

There is nothing better than a preset stand though in terms of ease of getting in and out. I'll sometimes still bring my saddle and sticks to one of my presets on private just in case I see sign I like on the way in.

Edit: Added pictures and weights, wanted to tinker with the new saddle anyway. Backpack, 4 LW minis and versa straps, saddle setup, and gear hanger is 13.4lbs.
1625153775717.png
1625153821616.png

Last edited:

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Last year was my first in a saddle and it took some getting used to. I only spend around a week hunting whitetails each year so I didn't have a ton of sits in it, but I did confirm some pros and cons for me. For how we hunt they make sense most of the time - light, quiet, fast, mobile. I did spook a buck this year trying to get turned for a weakside shot in a saddle.

Having fallen while getting out of a tree stand previously I really liked being able to stay tied off easily. I appreciated the lack of bulk from a stand on my back while moving and once I figured out my set up process I can be up the tree and in the game faster.

Btaylor

WKR
I pretty much agree with what has been posted. On private, I still use mostly pre-set lock-ons but will use the saddle as well. Public I have gone entirely to saddle hunting and wish I had paid more attention to it years ago. Massive weight reduction over the climber or a hang-on and 4 sticks, packs smaller and I have dont think there is a safer way to hunt from a tree.

Zdub02

WKR
I switched to a saddle for the upcoming year. Got tired of dragging my climber all over creation, getting hung up on every sapling and branch just to hunt for the perfect tree. That said my initial impression from shooting out of it is that I will be back in a stand after this season. Gonna give it a fair shot and may stick with it but shooting feels very awkward from the saddle.

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using a saddle on and off for 15 years. Picked up a Trophyline saddle in high school and shot a few bucks from it. The past few years I have been hunting primarily public ground and exclusively hunt from the saddle with success. I would definitely prefer the saddle over a climber however, I’d say a small lightweight stand would be nearly as efficient with the exception of crooked trees. Good luck with it this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yakattak

FNG
I just picked up a saddle for this coming season and am super excited about it. For more hit and run style hunts it is going to be great. Also, it allows you to have more of an option to setup and not be fixed to one tree.

WRM

WKR
I've used them for years--since New Tribe basically turned an arborist saddle into a "hunting" saddle (way overbuilt and bulky). They've come a long way, as have the accessories which make the usage of the saddle practical. They do fit differently on different people and you have to find one you think is comfortable. Hip pinch had been an issue for me. You may have to order a couple and try them in the backyard to see what you think. Returns have been pretty liberal, so long as you clearly have not "used" the product. I went with a Tethrd Mantis a couple years back when they first got started, and they have exploded with offerings. Aero/New Tribe has a great product in the Merlin, IMO, and I settled on that after testing out a couple. Comfort level, for me, is great.

Public land is where I hunt, and I feel it is the best option. Longish walks are often the norm. Way too big a pain to use (and lose) traditional stands. I don't hunt private land, so I'm not faced with a situation where I can leave a stand "protected" for any length of time.

If you are going to make it one "tool" in your arsenal, that is great. But, it is a commitment for needed gear and developing your preferred techniques. Be ready for that.

Do make sure to make multiple test draws with your bow if you are trying one out. It is a bit harder, at least for me, to get the last bit of leverage needed to break over my "ground" bow (74 lb draw). You don't want to be surprised after the return period is over that you also need a new bow to use your new saddle.

Thwack16

FNG
Yes, last year was my fifth and final season in one. Some 30 sits a season in them, so 150ish total. Hunted out of a sit drag, Kestrel, & Mantis during that time. Hunted off of a huge variety of platforms; Ameristep ROS, Wild Edge ROS, Screw ins, Tethrd Predator, Lone Wolf hand climber top, & XOP lock on seat DIY.

I never found any semblance of comfort in one, and I'm not one to need much comfort. I fidget way too much in them and never felt that I was still. I found setting up no easier than setting up a lock on.

Will be in a beast stand from now on.

WRM

WKR
I had hip pinch with both the Kestrel and the Mantis. That was resolved with the Merlin (for me). A longer bridge, adjusted correctly, can also do a lot for that. Getting one really dialed in for fit does take some time and effort.

Depending on what sort of ascent system you use, setup can be easier. But, that is not necessarily so, depending on the limits you face on the land you hunt (and the gear you are willing to invest in).

They have a place, obviously. Can get tedious in an all day sit during the rut, but so can a regular stand (for me). Given how and where I hunt, not likely I will go back to a traditional stand.

For what I do, run and gun on public land, it’s hard to beat the saddle. Need to use it to get it figured out for yourself, like everyone stated above. It’s just so versatile, and I can always hunt THE tree because it can get in any of them. Less weight for sure compared to me other mobile stand set up. And the ability to hide behind the tree greatly helps not getting picked off. If I find a spot to hunt from the ground, i don’t even know it’s in mg pack and doesn’t get in the way.

Plus, I’m always tethered to the tree, making it much safer for me. I hated wearing a safety harness, so I never did. Now with kids, this forces me to be safer.

WRM

WKR
I drew a special opportunity archery hunt back in January in a normally closed area that I had not been in for 15 years or so. Saddle was really the only good option as we only had a day for scouting. In 2 1/2 days of hunting I saw 30+ whitetails and killed one at about 20 yards and basically directly behind me. I watched those deer and moved around a fair amount and never once had one even act like it saw me as a threat. A couple did look at me but seemingly ignored me. I was in a large pine and maybe 20 feet up right next to an older road. The surrounding area was fairly open, for the most part. So, I was not concealed well by any stretch of the imagination.