Sage Grouse and ESA

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I received the following BGF email about the proposed land grab, etc. with a potential listing of sage grouse under the ESA. This would not affect just grouse, but livelihoods and other hunting and access. I was expecting Robby to post this but he is in the backcountry and hadn't gotten the email and asked that I do it. This may affect you more than you could ever imagine.

Dear Team,
I need your help - and you know I wouldn’t be asking if it weren’t important.
We were successful in in our historic effort to delist wolves due to the hard work and grassroots advocacy achieved by countless volunteers and supporters such as yourself. But now there’s a new threat coming from Washington with big consequences for state conservation programs, education funding, and economic recovery in western states. Everyone should be concerned - and we need your urgent help.
Obama Administration agencies are currently deciding whether to put the Sage-Grouse on the threatened or endangered species list. Like me, I know you recall the results of dramatic federal mandates when it came to wolves and spotted owls, and you understand the kind of lasting damage this kind of a listing can have.
This is a critical issue for our western states, and it’s not just me saying so, look at these headlines from across the country:
·
Wall St. Journal: "Sage Grouse Rebellion"
·
Missoulian: “Rescue Sage Grouse With Proven Practices, Not Federal Mandate
·
Bozeman Daily Chronicle: “The Endangered Species Act Isn’t Broken, Congress Is
You’re the front-lines of this major battle for the western states, so I need you to sign our petition right away, and share this with your like-minded friends and neighbors! Head to [url]http://biggameforever.org/sage-grouse/sportsmen[/URL] now to make your voice heard.
Let me put this in perspective for you. Remember the spotted owl? That affected 10 million acres, two states, and thousands of jobs.
Here’s what’s at risk with the Sage-Grouse: 165 million acres across 11 states, multiple industries and tens of billions in economic productivity along with hundreds of thousands of jobs. Do you want to see what 165 million acres looks like? See our map at http://biggameforever.org/sage-grouse/.
Here’s what’s happening
In 2015, the Obama Administration is being forced by court order to make a decision on listing a pheasant sized bird called the Greater Sage-Grouse as an endangered species.

Is this a big deal for you? Absolutely. Listing Greater Sage-Grouse as “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act will allow powerful special interest groups to stop balanced use of our natural resources and block access to America’s great public lands. Together we can stop this dangerous agenda. Sign our petition asking Congress to keep the sage grouse off the Endangered Species List.
Here’s What’s at Stake
· Control of 165 Million Acres across 11 Western States.
· Tens of Billions in Economic Productivity.
· Upwards of 250,000 Jobs for Hard Working Americans.
· Hundreds of Millions in Education Funding from School Trust lands.
· Common Sense Conservation Efforts That are Already Working for Sage-Grouse.
Here’s the Kicker
Sage-Grouse are not an endangered or threatened species. With over 500,000 birds with habitat spanning 11 Western States, Sage-Grouse are not only abundant, but their numbers have largely stabilized over the last 20 years. In fact in many areas populations are increasing. These state-based programs are providing common sense solutions that protect balanced use of our natural resources and ensure access to America’s great public lands.

Investment in Sage-Grouse Conservation
Since the year 2000, western states have invested $140 million on Greater Sage-Grouse conservation efforts. These programs are working for more than just Sage-Grouse. These programs are helping to prevent wildfires, control invasive species, improve Western watersheds and conserve other wildlife species such as mule deer.

But now federal officials in Washington D.C. are asking us to trust them instead of supporting programs that are working in our own backyards. Our tax dollars shouldn't be wasted by another massive regulatory decision out of Washington and more lawsuits.
Unintended Consequences and Real Impacts
Powerful special interest groups want to dictate to ranchers, conservationists, sportsmen and our local elected leaders that a once-size-fits-all approach is in our best interest. We know differently because we’re on the front lines. We understand how “good intentions” by federal regulators can:
(1) block economic recovery.
(2) hamstring job creation.
(3) restrict access and recreation on public land.
(4) ignore local solutions.
(5) undermine state sovereignty.
(6) ultimately hurt conservation efforts which are making tremendous progress.

The facts are on our side.
You were instrumental in helping us to delist wolves - now we need your help again. Please, sign the petition today.

Thanks,
Ryan Benson
President
Big Game Forever

P.S., I need you to share this with your fellow outdoor enthusiasts as well. That petition link is http://biggameforever.org/sage-grouse/sportsmen - thanks for all that you do! -Ryan

Yes listed the bird is stupid but for 2 million from the state of Utah to BGF this is what we get, an online petition?

This is concerning for sure. In the areas I frequent there are many sage grouse. I have been surprised by them flying out of tall grass many times while stalking . No shortage here .

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes listed the bird is stupid but for 2 million from the state of Utah to BGF this is what we get, an online petition?
I'm not here to argue about BGF. If hunters would be willing to step up to the plate the way nonhunters (or the uninformed) do, then Utah, etc wouldn't need to support these efforts. Don't kid yourself, BGF does much more than online petitions. All this is is an easy way for the hunting community to get involved. Numbers do make a difference. Come up with a better way if you don't like BGF or quit the complaining.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not here to argue about BGF. [\quote] Come up with a better way if you don't like BGF or quit the complaining.
Petition is the easiest way to show there are two sides to this. There are many organisations joining this fight. Wyoming fish and game is working hard on alternatives

That article and petition are the dumbest and most inaccurate statements that I have heard about sage grouse. As a sage grouse biologist in sage grouse country the threats are legit and necessary. Bottom line the reason people don't want the bird listed is MONEY. Energy development on federal lands and grazing by rich fat cattlemen are why this is an issue. The potential listing of that bird would have NO negative effects for conservation and wouldn't have any effect on us sportsmen and women utilizing public lands in the west.

That article and petition are the dumbest and most inaccurate statements that I have heard about sage grouse. As a sage grouse biologist in sage grouse country the threats are legit and necessary. Bottom line the reason people don't want the bird listed is MONEY. Energy development on federal lands and grazing by rich fat cattlemen are why this is an issue. The potential listing of that bird would have NO negative effects for conservation and wouldn't have any effect on us sportsmen and women utilizing public lands in the west.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Montana isn't considering a closure on sage grouse because they are doing well. Some populations are struggling and have been in decline for years.

ESA listing would cost a lot of extra money for energy developers.

Bowtech,
So do you work for the ID f&G? What kind of stuff are you guys doing for grouse? Habitat improvement, conservation easements?
Do you think there is enough of a threat in the west that a population of over a half million birds needs a listing?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.