Salmon River/Frank Church Jet Boat pickup/Dropoff?

Curious if some version of River Uber exists on the salmon river in the Frank. I’ve tried a couple outfits, and leaving aside that half of them were highly unpleasant people, most don’t seem to offer any service like that.

I definitely understand that outfitters likely won’t shuttle dudes on top of their outfitted clients, but I’m curious whether anyone knows of some kind of drop off service in that area.

Wrench

WKR
The shuttle service is going to be WAY cheaper. I own my own jet boat and that trip would be a 2-3 hundred dollar fuel bill without liability.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
The shuttle service is going to be WAY cheaper. I own my own jet boat and that trip would be a 2-3 hundred dollar fuel bill without liability.
That’s insane!! I’d heard they get like 2 miles per gallon but didn’t think it would cost THAT much in fuel

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mackay Bar Outfitters will drop you off anywhere you want along the river corridor. $3400 for up to 4 people according to their website. Jet boat rides ain't cheap

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
5af1f0a91481ee0aea80dbf50bfa71a5.jpg

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Mackay Bar Outfitters will drop you off anywhere you want along the river corridor. $3400 for up to 4 people according to their website. Jet boat rides ain't cheap

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
5af1f0a91481ee0aea80dbf50bfa71a5.jpg
Thanks! I saw that earlier, I feel like you’re paying a recent amount for the drop camp which I don’t have a need for. Was hoping to just pay for the ride… at this rate a plane ride in is close to half that…

That’s insane!! I’d heard they get like 2 miles per gallon but didn’t think it would cost THAT much in fuel
Where do you expect them to pick you up at? Are they trailering to vinegar or corn creek to put the boat in or are you getting someone at a lodge to come to vinegar or corn to pick you up, than drop you off, and then go back to where they started? The people who stay at buckskin bills are another one to check out.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Are you trying to get somewhere on the river to hunt?

Just fly in would be my recommendation.

No matter where you want to go there is an airstrip within reasonable distance and the trail along the river is typically in pretty good shape making for quick travel.

Last time I flew in (couple years ago) it was like $500ish per person with basically all the gear you wanted to bring.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Where do you expect them to pick you up at? Are they trailering to vinegar or corn creek to put the boat in or are you getting someone at a lodge to come to vinegar or corn to pick you up, than drop you off, and then go back to where they started? The people who stay at buckskin bills are another one to check out.
That’s helpful thank you-last year we went down ten miles from corn creek on foot but even as far as Corey would be nice-but would be total price dependent.

Like the guy said directly above, flying in seems like it’s going to always be cheaper which sounds nuts to say out loud.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Are you trying to get somewhere on the river to hunt?

Just fly in would be my recommendation.

No matter where you want to go there is an airstrip within reasonable distance and the trail along the river is typically in pretty good shape making for quick travel.

Last time I flew in (couple years ago) it was like $500ish per person with basically all the gear you wanted to bring.
This is sounding like what I’m going to do. Closer to half the price of a jet boat… Do you have a recommended service?

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
This is sounding like what I’m going to do. Closer to half the price of a jet boat… Do you have a recommended service?

I use Middle Fork Aviation outta Challis. Mainly because the weather is better coming in from that side, you have a lot lower chance of fog keeping the planes on the ground than you do coming out of McCall side.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
I use Middle Fork Aviation outta Challis. Mainly because the weather is better coming in from that side, you have a lot lower chance of fog keeping the planes on the ground than you do coming out of McCall side.
Copy; never would’ve thought of that water aspect. Appreciate it!

Reactions: TVW
OP
Minute_of_Antelope
I’ve flown with Pete at middle fork aviation. He’s a great guy and runs a very reliable business.

Don’t waste your time with the jet boats. Better to fly in.
Your advice is helping me come off the boat idea; thanks! Although I’m seeing an inefficiency in the market… a guy with a boat and a plan could do okay:)

Okhotnik

WKR
Pushing that aluminum upriver is tough.
Going down river in a jet is trickier. I went with a buddy on his jet up the salmon for his rifle elk hunt. We didn't run into hardy any animals or even any sign. Covered a lot of territory We saw more big horns than deer or elk. I brought along a shotgun and got into chukars every day why he was off glassing a mile away. Beautiful country obviously but not heart numbers due to wolves which we heard every day and saw their sign.

I agree that plane option is better. Jet boat was different way to get into remote country