Salomon 4D 3 GTX or X Ultra 3 GTX opinions?

So I'm looking at buying a set of light hikers. I have a set of kenetrek moutain extremes non insulated that I use for just about everything hunting, backpacking etc. I love the kenetreks but especially in the summers and early season they can be a bit over kill, especially since my feet run pretty hot anyways.

I'm currently stuck between the Salomon 4D 3 GTX and the X Ultra 3? I have gone in and tried both on a few times in the store and both feel pretty good (its hard to tell until you log some miles in them). I'm mostly just looking to get feedback/ input from those that have used both. Not looking to replace the kenetreks, just want to bridge the gap for early season/summer hiking.

Scogin

FNG
I am looking at trying the same two. I believe REI has a great return policy. Should be able to put a few miles on them and return one if you don’t like it. That’s my plan.

muddydogs

WKR
The 4D's are a fairly soft boot, I purchased a pair last summer along with a pair of X-Alps. I found the 4D's to be a great everyday boot but once in the woods the sole has quite a bit of flex and twist. I wore the 4D's hunting a few times in easy country but when I knew it was going to be rocky, a bunch of climbing or side hilling I would wear the X-Alps. Currently I'm breaking in a pair of Kenetrek Hard Scrabbles which will be my main boot, the X-Alps have become my everyday boot and I'll keep the 4D's around as a beater boot for a while. Once I wear out the X-Apls I will probably purchase another pair of 4D's as my everyday boot as there a good around town shoe and the price isn't bad for a boot that only last about a year.

I have several pair of the 4d GTX3, and love them. What I don't like about the X Ultra and the Forces is the eyelets for the laces. On the X Ultra, they are nylon web that you put the laces through whereas the GTX3 eyelets are metal. I think the nylon web eyelets would be prone to tearing or ripping (eventually), and if that happened, you would not be able to secure the laces through that eyelet. The metal eyelets on the GTX3 are super strong, and seem like they will outlast the boot itself.

Last edited:

bertha

FNG
an interesting question. I too was looking for it
o.png

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine. Been through a couple pairs over the years. I have string ankles though and am not a “big” guy.

Never had issues hiking with multi day packs in the BC

brsnow

WKR
I have 7 hard use years here in Colorado on the Solomon and they just started to leak. Super impressed as I typically don’t get more than a season or two on boots. I wear the Solomon all the time, even 4th season snow.

KHNC

WKR
Mine 4D's are fairly beat and just last month I was standing in 3" of water for a few hours without a leak.
You have a unicorn pair. 2 pairs i have owned had the same results. Even in just snow they are terrible.

Benny40

FNG
I’ve had both, archery season I prefer the Ultras. They breathe well and are comfortable. They also are not waterproof whatso ever. Yes you can mix silicone in mineral spirits and make them waterproof but then they don’t breathe. My advice is both are early season only boots when you don’t think snow is going to be falling. Other than that they are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kickemall

WKR
I've had four pairs of 4Ds. The first pair was worn out and never leaked. The second pair leaked right out of the box and the replacement was good for about a year. The current pair is over a year old with a lot of miles and still good. It seems to be hit and miss with the 4d on leak issues. First thing I do when I get a pair is walk through tall, wet grass which seems to be the best test I've found. They'll leak in wet grass long before standing in water or spraying them with a hose. They're so comfortable I still roll the dice with them.

KHNC

WKR
i have heard this same thing too. I still wear mine occassionally even tho the tread is worn bad

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
6 yr old pair of Salomons, and I have worn them is some pretty wet conditions without any noticeable leakage. Great boot in my experience, very light and durable in rocky terrain. Haven't ever tried them with a really heavy pack, however- no more than 30lbs of pack and rifle.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running my first pair of X Ultra 3 GTX for about a month now and have been really impressed. I've only put 20 or so miles on them but they fit the niche I was looking for. Like the OP, I also run Kenetrek's the rest of the year and even the uninsulated Hard Scrabble's I have are too hot this time of year.