Salomon Quest 4 D GTX for Elk?

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of broken in Salomon Quest 4 D GTX hiking boots I am considering using for an Elk hunt in NW Colorado the 1st week of September. However, I'm wondering if I need a stiffer boot for the terrain and possible pack out. Does anyone have experience elk hunting with this boot?

Pootros

FNG
Great boots. They leak after a couple seasons but are my go to for early season. They do well enough for me in steep country.

fatlander

WKR
Mine are very comfortable until they’re not. I can wear them for up to about 6 hours. Past that I feel every single pebble under my feet and an aching pain sets in. I don’t get that problem with my lathrop’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt elk and pack heavy with Salomon 4D all the time. If it’s wet your feet will be wet and the tread isn’t that good In wet or snowy conditions. Balls of my feet only got sore one time backpack hunting with a pack over 50 pounds in extremely rocky terrain and a ton of burned lodgepole blowdown. I was 27 miles in on the third day when they got a little sore but we’re fine the next when I was on better ground.

My hunting partner has always run these and packed out multiple elk with no issues. It's more about your feet and if they are comfortable

Trr15

WKR
Those boots work well for me. pack, no pack, packing out elk quarters, etc. I typically alternate between these and Lowa Tibets. Only wear the Tibets when the Salomons need to dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn them twice in NW Colorado. Brought home an elk both times. I’ve never had them leak. I’m on my second pair now. I have other, more substantial boots for varying terrain but the Salomon’s have been great for me. I do agree the tread isn’t great in slippery stuff. Vibram soled boots have been better for me in rainy, muddy conditions. But they should be good for early season.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have these broken in then you're good to go. I wouldn't change anything with season ~1 month away. You can pack out elk in tennis shoes if need be. The added support of the 4D's will be nice especially side hilling steep terrain. Best of luck!

mtmuley

WKR
I wear them for work. More of a hiking shoe than a boot. For elk hunting, Kenetreks get the nod. mtmuley

I've worn out two pairs of them for general day hiking and light backpacking and they're really not for me.
IMO they're more like a basketball shoe on steroids and not really a "boot"
They fit me well so I used them as needed but worn different boots for heavy duty stuff.
If they would stiffen them up a bit and provide some under foot protection I would love them.

Will_m

WKR
Has anybody found the arch too narrow in the boots? I can deal with the toe box but my left foot cramps pretty badly after wearing them. They're actually a good boot otherwise, no hotspots, etc.

Thinking about taking the insoles out............thoughts?

Has anybody found the arch too narrow in the boots? I can deal with the toe box but my left foot cramps pretty badly after wearing them. They're actually a good boot otherwise, no hotspots, etc.

Thinking about taking the insoles out............thoughts?

At one time I felt the arch on the outside just In front of my heel when I had been wearing saucony and brooks daily. I think my foot relaxed a little because normally I wear 3D pro salomons. Other than that one time I’ve never felt it I. Salomon 4D.

Bachto

WKR
I use these for my early season archery elk hunting in eastern washington which is known for being steep as hell. Steven Rinella confirmed, if you listen to his podcast my dad had the same tag he did in the same year. We both ran the quests (my second season) and both put over 40 miles on them in without any issues. This is me and my dads favorite boot and he has tried every brand out there.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
They do great in early archery season. I end up switching out to Kennetrek when the weather gets wet and cold.

Pretty good boot especially for the price I got them for ($130). After two seasons they started to leak and it was pretty frustrating to deal with constantly wet feet. I will be buying a new pair of boots for the 2020 hunting season.