salomon x ultra winter boots

Humphr47

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used these? It seems like they are a lightly insulated version of the quest 4DII boots. Seems like they could be a great lightweight boot for winter conditions.

idcuda

WKR
I tried some on the other day - seems like a great cold weather boot. I'll probably pick some up for late season chukar hunting. I think they'll be a lot more comfortable than pack boots.

OP
Humphr47

Humphr47

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I would primarily use them for chukar hunting as well. Light boots really help on those 5+ mile days. Just would like to hear if they are waterproof and how they hold up.

bbrown

WKR
Been running the X-Ultra mids which are not insulated but they have held up pretty good considering how many miles I put on them over almost 2 years especially for a light weight hiker. The gortex held up until just this last hike and because of the Salomon warranty they are replacing them which has been great customer service

OP
Humphr47

Humphr47

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks bbrown. Seems like there are plenty of threads on here where Salomon boots will eventually leak. It's really my only hesitation.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure where you're located but I use Salomon Snocross a ton up here in the winter. The sole is thicker than a Speedcross and they're much warmer. I wouldn't want them for sedentary hunting but for active hiking they're pretty sweet. The ankle collar keeps snow out really well. If it's a super deep day, I throw my OR gators over the top and I have no issues regardless of depth. Just another option/opinion.