Salsa & Hot Sauce!

elkyinzer

WKR
Tabasco is trash. I dare you to disagree.
You gotta learn to like the wet sock taste/odor!

Franks
Cholula
Crystal
Sriracha
My fridge is always stocked with those 4 plus one or two rotating spots. I'm not about the super heat those are in my comfort range.

Salsa I am all over the map but the best are my homemade versions, especially mango for fish tacos, and tomatillo for pork.

When i was in maui i found out about HI Spice and now have a monthly subscription where then send you 4 bottles every month. So far its been the best hot sauce i have found that has great flavor as well. Got everything from low heat up to burn your BH hot.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but, Palo Alto fire sauce is incredible. Should be able to find it online and it comes in single packets

Have tried several different hot sauces, just typically the basics. Red and Green Tabasco, and then Mateos salsa is at Costco, I am a huge fan of right now.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
100X better than any store-bought! Just a few minutes to make

Attachments

• Resized_20220807_114849.jpeg
    Resized_20220807_114849.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 49

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
We keep anywhere from 10-20 different hot sauces on hand at any given moment. I like to try new ones every so often. Some of our favorites that always find their way back....

Texas Pete https://texaspete.com/

Even though it is named "texas pete" it is from a compan based out of NC, u guys out west may not see it much it's more of an east coast thing i think, but I highly recommend it for a "store bought" sauce, i think it's better than tabasco and right in line with franks

Frank's Hot sauce....pretty much a staple that should be in everyones pantry

Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce: not your typical red hot sauce, its whole, green Tabasco peppers are soaked in salt and vinegar, i also like to use the tabasco peppers in chili right out of the bottle

Melinda's Scotch Bonnet: Scotch Bonnet is right now probably my favorite pepper for hot sauces and I haven't found a sauce better than Melinda's for scotch bonnet flavor

Mango Habanero Sauces: Melinda's has about the best mango habanaro hot sauce i have found as well. Buffalo Wild Wings has their Mango Habanaro wing sauce also, which we try to keep on hand, it's thicker than a traditional hot sauce, caters more to wings or chicken breast, but it's pretty darn good as well.

Angry Goat Purple Hippo: Prickly Pear and a mixture of peppers, including habanaro and scorpion. This is very good sauce, but gets hot very quick, but u cant stop eating it either lol.

This isnt a hot sauce per say. but at pepper palace they make this Sweet Bourbon Glaze, that is awesome on deer, bear, chicken, or any meat really in my opinion. Grill the meat up and about 30 seconds before taking it off the grill brush this on (its so sweet if u put it on much before it will burn) then u can also add another glazing after taking meat off grill. or dip meat in the glaze as well. Then thank me later https://pepperpalace.com/products/sweet-bourbon-glaze?_pos=2&_sid=e08388fe1&_ss=r

Louisiana Hot Sauce. yeah it boring, not much heat, lotsa vinegar and lotsa salt, but its hard to beat on fish or chicken for a cheaper store bought sauce. I like vinegar and like alot of pickled stuff so its right up my alley

Loper

WKR
I’ve been loving some Mateos salsa recently.

As far as hot sauces go, I have a bunch of small batch sauces, but all the good ones I ran out of. The ones remaining aren’t great. I had one smoky bourbon hot sauce that was excellent but it came in one of those packaged gift kits someone gave me. When it ran out I looked for the specific sauce online I but couldn’t find it.

Lately I’ve been liking the habanero sauce and jalapeño sauce my wife got me from Trader Joe’s.

Gringo Bandito was my favorite for a while until the local store stopped carrying it.
Picked up a hot sauce sample pack in Costa Rica from Chili Monoloco, the sauces are way too hot for me but the infused olive oil they have is fantastic!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You gotta learn to like the wet sock taste/odor!

Franks
Cholula
Crystal
Sriracha
My fridge is always stocked with those 4 plus one or two rotating spots. I'm not about the super heat those are in my comfort range.

Salsa I am all over the map but the best are my homemade versions, especially mango for fish tacos, and tomatillo for pork.
Can I come over for dinner?! 😋 I don’t do mango or fish and I’m not sure what crystal is but I could go for some carnitas tacos with tomatillo salsa. I’ll bring the corona & limes

Seeknelk

WKR
After trying hundreds of hot sauces here is the platinum level winners when I'm not fermenting my own super hots out of my garden. When cooking I have gotten away from using raw peppers. The super hots (reapers, naga vipers, naga kings and bhut jolokia) has unperdictable heat profiles. Quite frankly some of the peppers arent very stable and the heat can go from pretty hot to you just burned out your grandmothers dentures off the same plant on the same harvest. For that reason I will just serranos to pick up the heat and a sauce to finish the heat off to a perdictable level based on my audience.

cry baby craigs - One of the best all around vinegar based hab hot sauce. I use it on pretty much everything, Sandwiches, popcorn, beans, eggs, breakfast tacos, tacos etc. Direct replacement for tabasco type sauces but hotter without as much vinegar twang. 2 table spoons in 55 oz of beans gets them there where the kids arent crying and the adults arent eating bland beans.

Dirty Dicks - A close second to cry baby craigs. The orginal is closer to a bbq sauce flavor profile. I use it quite a bit as well. I dont have any experience with his other flavors but I will on my next order.

The last dab - When you need it hot. For real hot. Not like canadian hot. (sorry guys) Dont F around with this one. A little is good. More will make your dish unedible. By the one and only pucker butt. Has little to no flavor profile. Just adds heat.

Vietnamese and chinese foor I still default to copious amounts of sriracha.
That Last Dab XXX is no joke! Went thru a few bottles lately! Funny you thought it's only heat, when ,for me, it's one of the only things that gives me "flavor flashbacks" months later. Delicious flavor. Not a horrible extract sauce like Dave's insanity sauce, but nearly that hot! I love it.

Seeknelk

WKR
Always have Tabasco varieties around,
Yellow bird
Secret Aardvark Habenero
Cholula
Crystal extra hot
Melinda's XXX
Melindas Mango Habanero
Cry baby Craig's is ok
El Yucatan Black

Blaine Mountain Reaper salsa is a local treat I pick up sometimes. The label saying" Very Hot! is correct, but so tasty.
Honestly, I've eaten so much Pace salsa in my life it's like a comfort food. I like it as a base for dipping, adding peppers or crazy sauces etc...
Maitios salsa is good, along with my homemade raw salsa.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Not a sauce, but I grow peppers, dehydrate and put in the blender to "crush".
Then it goes in a jar to be used on everthing....pizza, eggs, tacos, sammiches,
Have to wear a face mask and gloves on blender day. My wife leaves the house
when this happens. My son says it's like an episode of Breaking Bad.

Agross

WKR
A friend of mine does the same exact thing. He uses mainly habaneros. He smokes them, it’s excellent. I put it on all kinds of stuff. Especially eggs.

Macintosh

WKR
We eat about 5 out of 7 meals out of tortillas so get a lot of use out of salsa and hot sauce. Generally make our own salsa, usually pretty simple fresh stuff especially when the garden is kicking. The other night we put fresh avocado, tomato, red onion, corn and cilantro, some salt and pepper and lime juice in--real simple. Often will make a tomatillo salsa as well, and roast the veges first. Hard to go wrong with either. Green chili salsa on eggs.

Hot sauce, my wife likes cholula, both original and green. I could get by on melindas original or single-extra hot for the rest of my life. My wife even got me a melindas tshirt, I guess that's the company I want sponsorship from? :) I dont need it crazy hot, really like the flavor.

We use sriracha a lot too, I like to mix a liberal amount of sriracha with mayo and use that on burgers.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I've noticed that I can't eat much spicy stuff lately - gives me heart burn. Guess I'm getting old.

Maybe I should start a thread on the best acid reducers....