Sat phone/InReach etc

Cwschwark

FNG
Backcountry elk hunt coming up and I need a way to communicate with my packer so he knows when to come back in to pack out meat. I was considering renting a sat phone but can't find any places that rent them near Durango, CO. Should I try to rent one elsewhere on the way there, since I'm driving from ND where I work? If so, any suggestions?
Should I go with an InReach or Spot unit and just send him a text? Mostly looking for a way to communicate, not so much an emergency unit, although that wouldn't be a bad thing either. Suggestions?

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Delorme Inreach for backcountry communication. You can send your packer a text or email with exact coordinates of your kill as well as add a personal message including details the packer might want to know like alternate travel routes, weather etc. It's also a great thing for peace of mind in case shit hits the fan. Just my $0.02, I've never used a sat phone or SPOT though

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
You can buy a Spot messenger and a year of service for about $250. Like you said, you can send a custom pre decided message to him as a text/email. The message will have gps coordinates.

That should be plenty. Delorme works fine too.

colonel00

WKR
I just got back from my first Alaska trip this year and took an InReach SE. I really like this little guy so far. If buying new, I would definitely jump on the InReach Explorer.

FWIW, here is a link to my tracking page that shows all the tracking points from the trip.

https://share.delorme.com/BradSimmons

bandit1

FNG
Buy an Inreach and send text. Just make sure your packer has a phone that will be on the cell network to get the text. I used to rent a sat phone and went to the Inreach 3 or 4 years ago. I really like it but always back up the text to the packer with another text to a bud that's at home and I have him call the packer to make sure he knows where the meat is, etc.. You can also send a text to a webpage that gives general updates to the family, they really seem to like that.