Savage or Howa

Going to buy a new coyote rifle , trying to decide between Howa mini 223 or the savage model 11 trophy hunter in 223, how do theses rifle compare and what one has the edge in accuracy? Planing on heavier bullets 60-69 grains

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the Howa mini for that. I have a Howa Mini I shoot. Better trigger and overall design. The Howa mag release is the only wonky thing. It’s no big deal to me. Twist rate should be good for those bullets.

Had lots of Savages in the past. None now.

Tiny

FNG
I prefer the howa action over the savage, but savage are very accurate, will either of these have enough twist to shoot the heavier bullets?

KenLee

WKR
Every time I try to use a Howa, it's a headache. Bad quality. Stocks break, bad fitment, rough bolts. I've done with them.

_S_R_

FNG
At the end at least you’ll end up with tikka or best with custom build anyway. Don’t try to escape your destiny, buy once cry once. Otherwise it will cost you more if you decide fumble with guns.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I have 0 experience with Savage, but I love the 2 Howa’s I own. Both are very accurate and I’ve had no issues. My one dislike is the magazine release on the mini. It’s very easy to hit by accident. That got replaced with bottom metal. The name of the company escapes me at the moment but it was worth the $

leachguy

FNG
I've had both, sold my Howa, selling my Savage. Of the two, if I had to pick one to take again it'd be the Howa. Wasn't a bad gun, just wasn't what I was after at the time. I'd take another, can't say I need another Savage.

robtattoo

WKR
Budget option, Ruger American. 1:8 twist, light, cheap, accurate & can be adapted for either AR or AICS mags.

Better quality, well south of a grand option: Screenshot_20231219_184842_Chrome.jpg
And there's a $75 rebate.

No other option available: Howa. 1:8 twist, better action than savage, nice trigger, great aftermarket.

Savage? Too slow twist for anything heavier than 69s (1:9 is OK with 73s & 77s, but not stellar) heavy by comparison, mushy trigger, sloppy action but great accuracy.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Have had different Savage 10 or 110s overs the years and have a Howa now. I'd take the Howa every day of the week over a Savage. With that said, the Howa isn't perfect but it is a solid one-piece bolt and a serviceable trigger.

Savage rifles shoot really accurately, but they aren't Howa level of quality. And I say that as a proud owner of a few Savage rifles. Today, I wouldn't buy a Savage. If money is tight, go Ruger American or Howa. Tikkas are great, too, but so are many bolt-action rifles.

If you can find one, the discontinued CZ 527 is a gem of a micro action that would stabilize 69 grain bullets. The new CZ 600 might also be worth looking at. I see you're in Newfoundland, which is a beautiful place, so ARs are out. That's too bad, because the AR-15 is such a dominant design that .223s in bolt actions struggle to keep up in the American market.