Save starving Gunnison Valley herds!

I think questions have been raised in concern about the health of the deer. Feeding programs are tricky and expensive.
Once started they need to be continued. The deer will not venture out and forage on what is natural to their location very willingly once they've been feed until it is time for the to transition off the winter range.
Also if the correct food is not used it will do more harm as the bacteria in their guts can't break down the food and they starve with a full belly. They are particularly susceptible when their diets take a dramatic change. i.e. sagebrush to hay. They will scour like a cow during spring green up as an example.
Having a compressed pellet with enough protein content is paramount.
Have feeding programs been successful? Yes but they took lots of funded and usually full time employees along with a large volunteer effort.
I don't think any one is being negative of trying to help this or any deer herd but are asking to make sure a long term plan for success is in place before commencing.
With that good luck to the locals there as especially the deer.

Just read this on Facebook, may pass it on to the creator of the go fund me so he can get in touch with the mule deer foundation for their take and assistance.

e6b803f3839ca72bb1858a421956c6ae.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another ironic tidbit.......this was posted in the "discussion" forum, yet this apparently isn't up for discussion.....unless you only want to support said post.:rolleyes:

Even funnier......nowhere did I "criticize" the efforts, just pointed out the law and the irony. That's the thing about irony.......I could be leading the effort, and it's still ironic.;)

I find it ironic that some people want to keep the herds alive, just so we can then go and kill them later. LOL.

So you're basically you're saying that the Mule Deer Foundation, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the Wild Sheep Foundation and several other organizations that are for hunters and for wildlife are just ironic things? The parks and wildlife is an ironic organization. This world is full of irony, and the very people that do harvest these animals want to protect them so we can continue to hunt them.
But hey thanks for pointing out the irony,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe that people necessarily want to keep them alive JUST so they can be hunted. I am 100% positive that all the people that will support the effort will never hunt these herds. I am also positive that some people that would support this don't even hunt, or maybe even like hunting.

I think that people will support the effort because as a species we have the means to help other species in need. For many, it is simply us showing compassion.

I also think it was a misuse of the work ironic.

Chris Roe

FNG
At the risk of being hammered for thinking critically and raising questions, here goes...

1) Is the CPW on board with this effort? Have they stated - IN WRITING - that they will ACCEPT these donations FOR the said purpose? ...as was said, it is illegal for private citizens to feed, and any meaningful - LEGAL - feeding effort will have to be done through the CPW.

2) If things turn around, and feeding is no longer needed, what will happen to the funds raised? Sit in the pocket of the GoFundMe sponsor, or be donated? To whom? When? With what level of transparency and accountability? Will folks be notified?

3) Why was this not run through a Non-Profit Org like the Colorado Mule Deer Association, Mule Deer Foundation, Elk Foundation, etc.? ...if done that way, donations could have been tax-deductible, and thus garnering even more support and donation money.

These are just the questions that popped into my head when I first heard about the effort. Part of me always bristles up when things like these pop up, and they seem mostly "emotionally" driven. The other part of me appreciates the desire and drive to get involved, and make a positive impact, so... hence my questions; the answers to them will help decide which "side" of me was correct in its first impression.

Thanks for any meaningful input.

Is this what you're referring to Josh? Or do you have additional info that it will be full on feeding? According to this they are going to bait them away from the highway and be prepared to feed them if conditions deteriorate. Either way it's a step in the right direction.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
CPW News Release
Yes. Animals are going to get a break from the snow for a few weeks. Just one possible snow for a day or so during that time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk