Scabbard or Rifle Stock

willidru

WKR
Last couple years I’ve been on some horseback hunts and my rifles never seem to fit all of the way into the scabbards and it’s a PITA to pull it out when I need to.

I have a 300 WM with proof sendero in McMillian A3 sporter and a 6.5CM with a HCA Carbon Killer. Both have scopes with 50mm objectives.
Any suggestions on scabbard that would fit my needs? Or do I need a more streamlined stock especially if the outfitters is providing stock and tack?

I don’t have a brand suggestion but I’m sure the outfitter would let you use your own scabbard if you provide it

rayporter

WKR

PA Hunter

WKR
I use the Trailmax on my horseback hunts always worked great with my Remington Sendero .300 Rum and Zeiss 4-16 Diavari.

After i bought it my outfitter bought a bunch for all the hunters.

I did spray mine down with camp dry spray.

Ram94

WKR
Another vote for Trailmax. They work great for modern rifle/optics.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I horseback hunt with a more traditional custom leather scabbard. Very early on I realized the scabbards the outfitters provided would not fit my rifles and offered marginal protection. My horseback elk rifles usually have 25”-26” barrels and I’m tall , my stock has a 14 1/2” l.o.p. so it makes for a pretty long scabbard. I ordered my leather scabbard with a full length heavy duty zipper for bad weather ,busting brush, and for when I’m packing a wood stocked rifle. Always want to get pre-approval from your outfitter with anything that goes on his horses/mules. My scabbard is about as long as most outfitters feel comfortable with. I had it made by a saddle maker who knew what he was doing ,he was also a mountain hunter. Most of my scopes are in the 1.5-6x42 to 4.5-14x42. The scabbard has kept my seasoned rifles in very good condition over the years.