WTB Scammer Alert

Ucsdryder

WKR
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Op, remove any funds you have in your PayPal account, assuming you do. Good chance it’ll be locked forever

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Op, remove any funds you have in your PayPal account, assuming you do. Good chance it’ll be locked forever
My Venmo account was permanently suspended for attempting to pay someone for an SWFA scope which listed in the remarks for the transaction as just that, "SWFA scope." Boom, Venmo suspended me for unauthorized transaction or however they called it. Had a similar experience trying to list a scope for sale on Facebook Marketplace, although that suspension wound up not being permanent. There's something inherently, deeply, fundamentally wrong about Big Tech and Big Fin deciding what legal to purchase, legal to own items we are allowed to buy and sell with their platforms.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I contacted PayPal and my credit card company 1st thing this morn when I noticed the similarity in the pics. Then no response on the text. Card has been cancelled and completely removed from paypal this morn. No other transaction was made from either so I must have caught it before it was hit again. Now the dispute happens to get my money back. Well see.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow I was actually just in talks with this guy to try and buy a ckyepod. Just seemed too fishy with him sending me pics with time stamp and username before I asked. I think I also saw a note about his gmail being used a week ago for a scam on a tikka. Glad I didn’t pay and that my spidey senses kicked in before forking over the money.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If anyone has answers to this, let me know. maybe Admins could chime in. I recieved a notification email from Rokslide just as I always do about private messages. I clicked on the link in the email and it brought me straight to Rokslide PM section. I noticed the guy Hoj99 had about 1000 or so post. What is there to consider as far as scam. Seems legit at the time. So there was a conversation within my PM's, didn't think to screen shot at the time. Yesterday was nothing and like I said, got a little worried and went to check. The conversation was gone from my PM's. Like it never happened. The only evidence I have is the notification email screenshot. Went to look him up (I think I did it correctly), hes not even listed on Rokslide.
A lot of people get hacked. Post count doesn’t mean a ton anymore without more context. Odds are good those 1000 posts were a real guy, who then got hacked. Then the hacker used his post count to add confidence to the scam

Wrench

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A great example of why you want unique passwords and account names on these sites. Any time I'm dropping good money, I use sime personal verification processes. If they do not have bills which leave a verifiable trail.....I am not interested in the risk.

I really wanted to buy a mcmillan with hawkins bottom metal that popped up for 600 here... but I didn't have the free time to make sure I wasn't financing the Kenyans... so I had to pass. Someone got a good buy or a headache on that one.

Erik1972

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics of the barrel are real, the post it notes are fake. I had this happen to me this year but I backed out at the last second. I do Photoshop for a living and I can tell. look at the size of the lines in the post-it notes, each line is almost as big as the barrel. I don't think I have ever seen post-it notes that big.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I've made a rule of not sending anybody money until I have a conversation with him on the phone. You talk shop with a guy and you can easily tell. Most of the time it turns into a 15 minute conversation that's pretty enjoyable. I feel really safe after talking to a guy for that long.

KenLee

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Your scammer "ain't from round here".
Language in context can be telling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519_113737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_113737_Chrome.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The language keeps popping up in some posts. You guys need to realize that I'm from south Louisiana and the lingo here is totally different from anywhere on the planet. Sometimes I need an interpreter to talk to the person handling my groceries. So the verbiage didn't throw up a flag. But now that you mention the lines, I didn't notice that at first.

lak2004

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The language keeps popping up in some posts. You guys need to realize that I'm from south Louisiana and the lingo here is totally different from anywhere on the planet. Sometimes I need an interpreter to talk to the person handling my groceries. So the verbiage didn't throw up a flag. But now that you mention the lines, I didn't notice that at first.
Not trying to fault you sir, just pointing it out. Sucks to be scammed and many of us have been there and these threads are good to learn from.

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
IMHO there are enough of these sorts of threads in which many recommend steps (like a call) that should eliminate or at least greatly reduce the risk of being scammed. I recommend not pointing out the red flags, at least outside of a PM. As others have said, doing so helps the scammers.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not trying to fault you sir, just pointing it out. Sucks to be scammed and many of us have been there and these threads are good to learn from.
Nah it's all good. As it stands, looks like I'll be getting money back on credit card. Just received the new one.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nah it's all good. As it stands, looks like I'll be getting money back on credit card. Just received the new one.
The CC company essentially takes the money from PP which is why PP hates chargebacks. Did PP freeze or close out your account?

I don't know as it was necessary to get a new CC card tho. I did that a few months back and charges to the old card still go through.

gman82001

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just fyi the card company may put it back while they investigate the charge back and scammer angles but when papypal tells them it was a friend to friend “legitimate” transaction they very well may send it back to pp. something very similar with my wife so just speaking from experience here

KenLee

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I talk like I was drug out from under a rock, but do notice oddities in written conversation. Possibly trained by all the scam emails I receive.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
WTB ads are a full on crapshoot....on both ends. If you post them, you are asking for scammers. In a LOT of these cases, it’s pretty easy to pick them out just based on word usage.

Flip side - and this is not across the board - but I’ve noticed people posting WTB ads in a lot of cases are wanting to pay well below what you would get if you just posted the item in a WTS ad.