Scarpa Hdry

kjw

WKR
Hey all! Curious if anyone has an issue with this waterproofing in scarpa boots. I originally ordered a pair Charmoz and broke them in scouting for the wife’s sheep hunt. They were awesome, never had an issue. Went to Alaska to help my brother in law on a caribou hunt and on the second day of a 9 day hunt they leaked like a screen door on a submarine through the tongues. Scarpa replaced them. Broke in the new pair and wore them on a December coues hunt in AZ. Got some rain and after about a mile of being in wet grass I could feel my feet getting wet through the tongues. Double checked them in the bathtub when I got home and within 2 minutes my feet were getting wet. Scarpa said this is concerning as I’ve had the problem twice and they don’t see it often. They said they will replace them with another pair of charmoz or I can choose another model. The charmoz have been super comfortable but I definitely have my hesitation with the hdry system. Which is odd, I have some kuiu items with hdry and have had no issues. Guessing there’s a flaw in their process.

Last edited:

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair that I have a few hundred miles on and are still waterproof and look good. Two 10 day hunts in the high country and lots of training hikes at home.

Nored

FNG
I have a pair of the ribelle with the hdry and they have been fine so far. They got wet on me once but pretty sure it was from my pants getting wet and then it wicked down into the boots.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
How are the Charmoz for wide feet, or at least a comfortable toe box? How do they hold up in cold conditions with a good sock? Not many mountaineering boots come with the option of insulation or in a wide size.

OP
K

kjw

WKR
How are the Charmoz for wide feet, or at least a comfortable toe box? How do they hold up in cold conditions with a good sock? Not many mountaineering boots come with the option of insulation or in a wide size.
I’d agree with unchained. They are a pretty narrow boot( I had to go up 2 sizes to fit in the toe box) and with a good sock would get you through some cooler temps. I’ve been looking at the scarpa manta techs and mont blancs for replacements and it looks like they have some minimal insulation. If I end up with one I’ll let ya know how it is.

OP
K

kjw

WKR
Just an update on my scarpa situation…. Still not resolved. They don’t have any boots in stock of any model for my size. I’ve asked for a refund and they just give the the run around about understanding my situation. Hopefully something happens soon.
Alaska_bou, I recently tried on the zamberlan 2092. The toe box seems to have way more room than the scarpa or any other mountaineering boot I’ve tried. Pretty impressed with it other than the price, but if it doesn’t leak, it’s worth it to me

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely sounds like a manufacturing process issue on maybe a certain run of boots. I have been wearing KUIU Scarpas with HDry hard for two years with no issues

OP
K

kjw

WKR
Definitely sounds like a manufacturing process issue on maybe a certain run of boots. I have been wearing KUIU Scarpas with HDry hard for two years with no issues
Agreed. I had a pair of the kuiu scarpas and loved them. Just a little to small for me. The charmoz are pretty similar in configuration so I went with them. I’ve also got some other kuiu items with h dry and they work great.
Scarpa is now saying they wont refund my money cause it’s been more than 60 days. It’s becoming a frustrating process as customer service is not doing phone calls due to being backed up and it’s been taking 4-5 days to get an email response. #oofta 🤣

OP
K

kjw

WKR
Welp! 19 emails in since the second of January and still don’t have any boots. Apparently they are all out of boots and have a back order in for me. They had sent me a pair of manta techs but no matter what I did I couldn’t get them to fit right. I told them the next pair of boots I wanted to try as I had tried them on previously at a store and they should work. Their reply was that they put in the order and that would be their last time to send me a boot and they will consider the issue closed. Really?!? That was over 2 weeks ago and I have yet to hear any kind of update from them. Just wanted people to be aware of their customer service before you decide on a boot. Never thought this would be the case with scarpa but here I am.